What's new

JEFF TORBORG FIRED!

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
JUST REPORTED ON ESPN'S SPORTSCENTER. HE WILL BE REPLACED BY JACK MCKEON!

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Jack Mckeon is 72 years old. He managed the Royals from 1973-75 , finishing in 2nd, 5th, and 2nd place. He then managed Oakland 1977-1978 (7th and 6th place), San Diego 1988-1990 (3rd, 2nd, and 5th places). Most recently, he managed the Reds from 1997-2000 (3rd, 4th, 2nd, and 2nd places). His career record is 770-733 (.512 winning percentage). He was the NL manager of the year in 1999.

SportsCenter

Muckdog
Reaction score
I SAW ESPN AND HE FIRED !!!!! I HOPE WE WIN NOW! LORIA GO LOOK FOR A MANGER !! THANK GOD HE GOT RID OF 2 FOR 1 HIM AND HIS SON!

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
According to ESPN, a new manager has already been found-Jack Mckeon. They wouldnt bring in a veteran manager from outside the organization for just an interim position.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
mckeon is older than dirt....

did a very good job in cincinatti last time around....with a very young team.

time to bring up a reserve outfielder now i guess.

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Report: Torborg Out, McKeon In as Manager of Marlins

SportsTicker

MIAMI (May 10) -- Florida Marlins manager Jeff Torborg, who saw his once-promising pitching rotation decimated by injuries, reportedly was fired Saturday.

Citing a Major League Baseball source, the Miami Herald is reporting on its Web site that Torborg was let go following the Marlins' 5-4 loss to Colorado and will be replaced by 72-year-old Jack McKeon.

Torborg's job had been in jeopardy much of the season and any chance he had of succeeding all but evaporated when starters A.J. Burnett, Josh Beckett and Mark Redman went down with injuries.

Team owner Jeff Loria, a good friend of Torborg, had said the team should compete for a postseason berth. But Florida is off to a 16-22 start, just percentage points ahead of the last-place New York Mets in the National League East.

The Marlins were 95-105 under Torborg, who assumed the managerial reins when Loria purchased the team prior to the 2002 season.

05-11-03 02:03 ET

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Just saw it on Sportscenter!

First manager to be fired this year :mischief2

Jack1

It's about time. I hope they fired his son too!
As I said before, fire the hitting coach!!
I hope McKeon can fire this team up but remember when Boles was fired? Did it help?

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
So much for a fiesty motivator type.

I don't have much of an opinion on this. The Reds did well with him, and I thought he was unfairly replaced at the time. Here's the story from the official Marlins site:

Report: New manager for Marlins
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com?
?
MIAMI -- Jeff Torborg's tenure as Marlins manager reportedly came to an end Saturday night after the team's record fell to 16-22 following a 5-4 loss to the Rockies at Pro Player Stadium.
A source close to Torborg told MLB.com that a change has been made and that the move would become official prior to today's game. The Marlins organization, in the pre-dawn hours Sunday, had not announced a managerial shakeup.

The Miami Herald, attributing the information to a high-ranking Major League Baseball source, said the Marlins will replace Torborg with Jack McKeon, who formerly managed the Padres and the Reds.

Reached by MLB.com early Sunday morning, Torborg declined comment.

Asked if he was relieved of his managerial duties and McKeon was his replacement, Torborg said: "I don't know about that. I can't comment. I just can't comment. I'd rather not."

Torborg, 61, took over as Marlins manager in 2002 and the team finished fourth in the National League East with a 79-83 record.

The Marlins entered the season with high expectations -- owner Jeffrey Loria said before the season he expected the Marlins to vie for a playoff berth -- but the past two weeks the team has been besieged by injuries to the pitching staff.

Ace pitcher A.J. Burnett opened the season on the disabled list with inflammation in his right elbow. Burnett made four starts in April before undergoing season-ending Tommy John surgery.

Left-handed pitcher Mark Redman is on the disabled list with a broken left thumb. And Friday, right-hander Josh Beckett was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right elbow.

More pitching problems surfaced Saturday when left-handed starter Michael Tejera tumbled violently over first base after bouncing into a double play in the third inning.

Tejera strained his right Achilles' and suffered lower back discomfort. Tejera said he expects to make his next start. Tejera said his back is aggravating him the most.

Torborg's record with the Marlins was 95-105. His career mark is 634-718 with the Indians (1977-79), White Sox (1989-91), Mets (1992-93) and Expos (2001).

"It's obviously very stunning," closer Braden Looper told The Herald. "I respect Jeff Torborg a lot, and if it's true, it will be upsetting."

The Marlins are in last place in the National League East, nine games behind the first-place Braves.

"We all expected to be faring a little better than we are right now," Looper told the paper. "We had a little adversity, but if you polled the guys coming out of Spring Training, I don't think anybody would have said we'd be where we're at now. We've had some tough losses. You really can't put the blame in one spot."

Torborg and pitching coach Brad Arnsberg have been under criticism lately for the injuries to the pitching staff and the team's recent struggles. Torborg's son, Dale, is the team's strength and conditioning coordinator.

McKeon, 72, previously managed four teams. He won the National League Manager of the Year award in 1999 when he guided the Reds to a 96-67 record. They lost a one-game playoff for the Wild Card to the Mets.

I expect Arnsberg to be a goner too. McKeon will likely bring in his own crew.

Also, supposedly McKeon uses his bullpens a ton, so Almanza and the boys better get ready for a workout.

Latest posts

Top Bottom