What's new

Jelliz Out for the Season

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
Damn that blows. He was having such a good year.  

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
Does anyone else remember Yelich giving a sort of apology to the Marlins last summer for his way of departing here? I can't find any proof of this but I know I read it. Of course it doesn't fit the narratives so it's swept under the rug.

Michael

Marlin
VIP
Reaction score
This never would have happened in Miami!

... oh wait. It did. 😞 

FishFan95

Marlin
Reaction score
This never would have happened in Miami!

... oh wait. It did. 😞 
Ironic that a player from the Dodgers will likely win the MVP now that another player was injured in a Marlins vs Brewers game....

Michael

Marlin
VIP
Reaction score
Ironic that a player from the Dodgers will likely win the MVP now that another player was injured in a Marlins vs Brewers game....
It may actually strengthen Yelich's case. Brewers miss the playoffs, they'll say "Yelich would have gotten them there. Boom."

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I don't want this to be taken the wrong way but I'm seeing a significant portion of the response to the Yelich injury has been things like "sending prayers" and "heartbreaking" and things that are making this sound more tragic than just being an injury and it's really weird.

Players get injured all the time and I don't feel like I see the same emotion of remorse and sadness and tragedy as I'm seeing here. 

Is it a favoritism towards Yelich? What is it? And I know Yelich is a good dude and the injury sucks but if most other players break a bone you just don't see this type of response and it's rubbing me the wrong way. It's borderline insulting and looks like some serious brown nosing to me.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
It may actually strengthen Yelich's case. Brewers miss the playoffs, they'll say "Yelich would have gotten them there. Boom."
This reminds me of Stanton in 2014 when he got hit in the face and finished 2nd in the MVP race behind Kershaw and people were saying if he didn't get injured he might have won the award and I remember thinking his injury was the reason the Marlins missed the playoffs and that, to me, was more proof of Stanton's MVP case than Kershaw with the Dodgers. 

Michael

Marlin
VIP
Reaction score
This reminds me of Stanton in 2014 when he got hit in the face and finished 2nd in the MVP race behind Kershaw and people were saying if he didn't get injured he might have won the award and I remember thinking his injury was the reason the Marlins missed the playoffs and that, to me, was more proof of Stanton's MVP case than Kershaw with the Dodgers. 
Kershaw also missed a month, however, a lot of people forget that.

FishFan95

Marlin
Reaction score
Kershaw also missed a month, however, a lot of people forget that.
Yeah, but he missed the first month of the season. People, even writers tend to put a bias on the last month of the season when picking award winners. Based on the overall stats, Joey Votto was probably more deserving of the MVP than Stanton in 2017, but Stanton had a monster August right when the writers and fans started paying more attention.

rmc523

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
100% agree with this.

And, Stantons injury warranted prayers.  It was unknown at the time how something like vision would be affected or other head trauma.  Not a broken kneecap.

Yeah, but he missed the first month of the season. People, even writers tend to put a bias on the last month of the season when picking award winners. Based on the overall stats, Joey Votto was probably more deserving of the MVP than Stanton in 2017, but Stanton had a monster August right when the writers and fans started paying more attention.
And......opening up a can of worms here potentially.......he's a pitcher.  They have an award.  Give the MVP to a position player.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
And......opening up a can of worms here potentially.......he's a pitcher.  They have an award.  Give the MVP to a position player.
I feel the same way unless the starting pitcher is clearly worlds ahead of the position players they should not win the MVP. I have a big problem with the thought that your most valuable/important player is someone that only plays every five days. How valuable can that pitcher be to the team on the 4 games between his starts? 

FishFan95

Marlin
Reaction score
Hitters also have an award- the Hank Aaron award. It should be elevated to the same prestige as the Cy Young award and the MVP should go to the best player on the season- pitchers included.

FishFan95

Marlin
Reaction score
I feel the same way unless the starting pitcher is clearly worlds ahead of the position players they should not win the MVP. I have a big problem with the thought that your most valuable/important player is someone that only plays every five days. How valuable can that pitcher be to the team on the 4 games between his starts? 
In 2014 Kershaw pitched in 13.5% of the innings for the Dedgers despite missing a month of the season. Stanton was responsible for 10.3% of the Marlins PA that year (10.8% not including pitchers). 

Position players might play everyday, but they they make less of an impact on each the game as the pitcher does.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
In 2014 Kershaw pitched in 13.5% of the innings for the Dedgers despite missing a month of the season. Stanton was responsible for 10.3% of the Marlins PA that year (10.8% not including pitchers). 

Position players might play everyday, but they they make less of an impact on each the game as the pitcher does.
I don't need numbers and percentages to tell me that a position player can play in 162 games and could in theory have the game winning hit 162 times. A starting pitcher who pitches in 30 something games can only be the reason for victory in 30 something of a team's games.

Clayton Kershaw started 27 games for the 2014 Dodgers. If the Dodgers only won the games he started they would have gone 27-135. Stanton played in 145 games. If he led the team to victory in all of those games the Marlins would have gone 145-17.

The position players might make less of an impact "on each game" but they can make an impact "in more games" than a starting pitcher can. It's not even close. A position player has more potential value to a team than one starting pitcher does.

rmc523

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
Exactly.  Obviously there will be exceptions like you said.  If a pitcher has some ridiculous stats and position players are just kind of average on a given year.  But when you have position player MVP worthy candidates, the pitcher shouldn't be in contention, IMO.  But short of some threshold, I don't know how you can "monitor" that.

Hitters also have an award- the Hank Aaron award. It should be elevated to the same prestige as the Cy Young award and the MVP should go to the best player on the season- pitchers included.
Is that new?  I haven't even heard of that.