What's new

Jeter returning Soon

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Jeter is returning soon and will help the Yankee offense even more. The yanks have been pretty good this year and hope to get Jeter back.

Notes: Jeter to return soon
By Mark Feinsand / MLB.com

Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter throws to first during a warmup with the team on Tuesday. (Kathy Willens/AP)?

NEW YORK -- Derek Jeter was back at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday, and though his visit was only a one-day trip, he expects to be back in the Yankees' lineup within a few weeks.
Jeter, who dislocated his left shoulder on Opening Day in Toronto, will likely begin taking batting practice this weekend, and could be playing in minor-league rehab games as soon as next week.

"If everything goes well, I'd like to play some minor-league games next week and maybe come back when they get home from the West Coast trip," said Jeter, referring to New York's next homestand, which begins on May 13. "I was always pretty optimistic that I'd get back as soon as possible, but from what they tell me, I'm better off than they thought."

Jeter has been swinging a bat for a few days, and began hitting off a tee on Monday. Manager Joe Torre said that once Jeter begins taking batting practice, he should be able to start playing some rehab games within a few days.

"Once he's taking batting practice, there's no reason why he can't play games. Then it's just a matter of how many games," Torre said. "In the next two or three weeks, if everything goes well, we should be seeing him on a regular basis. He's getting excited, because he's moving forward now."

Jeter has been rehabbing at the team's training complex in Tampa, but he traveled to the Bronx on Tuesday to meet with team trainers and establish a plan. He mingled with teammates in the clubhouse and took ground balls on the field, enjoying his limited time in his home ballpark.

"It was good to see them. It was nice to get back on the field and joke around with them a little," Jeter said. "They've been playing well. They're 20-5 without me, (Steve) Karsay and Mariano (Rivera). We say it time and time again that you win with pitching, and our starting pitching has been incredible."

Jeter has been watching all the Yankees games he can, as some are blacked out in the Tampa area. He said that while he is itching to get back on the field, he's going to take his time to make sure he's ready to return.

"It's difficult because I don't like watching, but I've been pulling for the guys," Jeter said. "When you get older, you listen to your body a little more. When I was younger, maybe I would have tried to push it, but you don't want it to happen again. I'll be smart about it."

"I think he's so excited that he's not just doing exercise, but he's picking up a bat and throwing the baseball," Torre said. "I think his patience may be thin when he thinks he needs just one or two games and we decide it's more than that."

After being injured on a head-first slide at third base, Jeter said that he has no plans to play less aggressively than he has throughout his eight-year career.

"I'll continue to be aggressive, because that's the way I play," he said. "When you try to change how you play, you'll hurt something else. I may not be sliding head-first for a while, but other than that, I'll be aggressive."

Whether it's two or three weeks, Jeter sees the light at the end of the tunnel, something that seems to be pushing him in his rehab.

"I'm sick of Tampa. I love Tampa, I live there in the offseason, but I've been there for six or seven months, so I'm ready to get out," Jeter said. "I'll play somewhere when I'm ready. There will be some Little League games or something for me to play in."

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
good.....

i could use jeter in my fantasy lineup.

in one of the yahoo leagues i am in.....

someone dumped him.....

i said thank you very much, stashed him on my DL and said....this will pay off later.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Bryan

Muckdog
Reaction score
The yanks have been pretty good
I dont know about you...but 20-6 sounds more like great rather than good to me :D

Well, good for him and the Yanks. Glad to see he recovered realtively quickly.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, good for him and the Yanks. Glad to see he recovered realtively quickly.
Yea it took alex gonzalez so long to recover from the same thing Jeter had, i wonder why! We could of used him last year...

Top Bottom