What's new

Jeter says Marlins face “challenging year” in improving via free agency

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
I mean, in the same article he did say that they will go get whatever free agents they think fit. He didn't say they weren't going after any free agents.

The article could have also been titled "Jeter says "We'll go get them" in free agency" because he did say that too.

taiwanmarlin

LumberKing
Reaction score
Still have no the time to read this article, would anybody pls. tell me first it's about the #cheapJeter or not.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I mean, in the same article he did say that they will go get whatever free agents they think fit. He didn't say they weren't going after any free agents.

The article could have also been titled "Jeter says "We'll go get them" in free agency" because he did say that too.
Sure, if you want to be an optimist about it. But we saw Barry Jackson's article the other day too. Jeter's statement likely refers to a guy like Nick falling into their hands on a short team deal and at a discount.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll believe it when I see it.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Sure, if you want to be an optimist about it. But we saw Barry Jackson's article the other day too. Jeter's statement likely refers to a guy like Nick falling into their hands on a short team deal and at a discount.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll believe it when I see it.
I'll agree that I read the title and thought it was an excuse too but then I read the whole article and he also gives that line about going after someone if they want them so he gives both a negative line and a positive one.

Dusenbury could have used the positive line in the title if he wanted to create a positive headline.

At the same time we all know Jeter has some weak public statements too so you could also chalk this up to that. Don't read too much into it because it might mean nothing.

Anyways I'll agree that there are red flags but I'm choosing to wait and see what they do because Jeter can say whatever he wants and it doesn't mean they can't still go make a few good signings especially when Mike Hill has said there has already been orders to start improving the MLB team.

He also isn't wrong about signing guys that don't block the best/closest prospects.

DTrain

LumberKing
Reaction score
Jeter uttering the word “challenging” to the press absolutely equals “the only way we win more than 70 games this year is if we get REAL lucky”.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score

I'm still in a "believe it when I see it" mode, and preparing myself for the inevitable "we tried to sign guys" but only come away with the Grandersons of the world. If there's a guy out there that fits a need that can be part of the longer-term core, you should sign him now and front load it while you have the financial flexibility. Who cares about blocking a prospect. Obviously you don't want to do that at most/all positions, but if you block one or two, who cares? They're not surefire things anyway - we don't have a Harper or Tatis that are consensus top guys. So then, you have 3 options if that prospect becomes that good: 1) you find a spot for him, 2) you trade the guy blocking said prospect for something you need, or 3) trade the prospect for another position of need.

It's crazy how much of the payroll Chen is taking up, and how little the payroll is. Gotta pay off that debt.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
And to round it out here's Frisaro's version of it...

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
He didn't rule out a 4 year deal haha. Which would be perfect for Castellanos.... ;)

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
He didn't rule out a 4 year deal haha. Which would be perfect for Castellanos.... ;)
I honestly think they should blow out the farm for Rizzo (Bleday/Sanchez, L. Diaz, Jerar, lower level arm (maybe Stewart if he clears Rule V), and eat Chatwood's contract ($13) to save them money and maybe send Urena ($4+) back their way to offset that somewhat. That saves them at least $35 million and cheap years of the kids to resign Baez/Bryant/sign major SP this year), sign him to a big extension (something like 6/$130 which is fine. He's under contract for 2 years so there is good leverage), sign Castellanos for 4/$64 something, and have the south florida kids be the leaders of the team. Maybe South Florida pride will rub off on Brinson too? Wouldn't that be something!

Who is going to pan that move when you can plug Isan, Jazz, Anderson, Monte, and Sanchez/Bleday around them on paper, and you have some likely rapid ascenders with Devers and Scott directly behind them if any of those guys fail in a year or two? Or maybe Cooper, Berti, or H. Ramirez are pretty OK to hold down the fort as a 1.5 WAR player. No longterm pitchers are traded and you can draft a SP # 3 overall in 2020 draft, and sign another one in 1-2 years in free agency.

I mean, this is assuming the Cubs want to sell Rizzo, but they have big problems of deciding who to build around and give them a reason to pick younger guys versus Rizzo. I think it makes a lot of sense for everyone.

Why don't the Marlins strive to get better, and just want to chill and maybe the prospects are good in 3 years? How is a 5+ year rebuild the answer when you've accomplished the goal of payroll freedom and a top 5 farm system?

I don't get the business strategy. If you build it, they will come.

Latest posts

Top Bottom