What's new

Jeter says Marlins face “challenging year” in improving via free agency

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I honestly think they should blow out the farm for Rizzo (Bleday/Sanchez, L. Diaz, Jerar, lower level arm (maybe Stewart if he clears Rule V), and eat Chatwood's contract ($13) to save them money and maybe send Urena ($4+) back their way to offset that somewhat. That saves them at least $35 million and cheap years of the kids to resign Baez/Bryant/sign major SP this year), sign him to a big extension (something like 6/$130 which is fine. He's under contract for 2 years so there is good leverage), sign Castellanos for 4/$64 something, and have the south florida kids be the leaders of the team. Maybe South Florida pride will rub off on Brinson too? Wouldn't that be something!

Who is going to pan that move when you can plug Isan, Jazz, Anderson, Monte, and Sanchez/Bleday around them on paper, and you have some likely rapid ascenders with Devers and Scott directly behind them if any of those guys fail in a year or two? Or maybe Cooper, Berti, or H. Ramirez are pretty OK to hold down the fort as a 1.5 WAR player. No longterm pitchers are traded and you can draft a SP # 3 overall in 2020 draft, and sign another one in 1-2 years in free agency.

I mean, this is assuming the Cubs want to sell Rizzo, but they have big problems of deciding who to build around and give them a reason to pick younger guys versus Rizzo. I think it makes a lot of sense for everyone.

Why don't the Marlins strive to get better, and just want to chill and maybe the prospects are good in 3 years? How is a 5+ year rebuild the answer when you've accomplished the goal of payroll freedom and a top 5 farm system?

I don't get the business strategy. If you build it, they will come.
Thank you for saying what I was thinking. Very well said and explained.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Just to prove my earlier point about how the wording of the headline can make a world of difference, here's the Twitter headline from another piece on the exact same Jeter comments...

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I read the article before I replied originally anyway and I stand by my earlier comments. I don't let headline spin play a role in my thoughts.

You're right though, each place can spin it easily for those that only read headlines.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Well I can't wait to find out what the results are because Jeter does say some weird things and I still think this can go either way regardless of his words. I think I trust Mike Hill's words more even though he is a master of not really saying anything. Jeter, it's like he purposely downplays everything to set expectations low. I mean look at how he talks about getting into the HOF as if there's a chance he doesn't get in. Now that I think about it I can see Christmas Eve at the Jeter house and his kids excitedly talk to him about Santa bringing gifts and Jeter says something like "Well kids it's gonna be a challenging year for Santa to bring anything but I believe in this holiday and I believe that eventually Santa will create a Christmas to be proud of but it will definitely take time."

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I am not saying it is impossible, but I'm in a "Believe it when I see it" mode and I currently see the words from Jeter as empty and an excuse. Hopefully I am wrong about that, I'd love to be wrong about it.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
I am not saying it is impossible, but I'm in a "Believe it when I see it" mode and I currently see the words from Jeter as empty and an excuse. Hopefully I am wrong about that, I'd love to be wrong about it.
100% fair... and I wasn't disagreeing with you to blindly support Jeter either. I've just heard enough of Jeter's weak words to know that they could be totally false too.

I'm in believe it when I see it mode too but I also didn't think his words on Monday were meaningful enough to be up in arms about.

It feels like most don't believe anything he ever says but suddenly he says this and we buy every letter of it?

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
100% fair... and I wasn't disagreeing with you to blindly support Jeter either. I've just heard enough of Jeter's weak words to know that they could be totally false too.

I'm in believe it when I see it mode too but I also didn't think his words on Monday were meaningful enough to be up in arms about.

It feels like most don't believe anything he ever says but suddenly he says this and we buy every letter of it?
But he said two things - it'll be a "challenging year" and that we could be in on FA targets. I'm more inclined to believe the former rather than the latter - or that the latter just means garbage heap FA guys that they sign to pretend they signed people.

That said, I fully realize the Loria years have jaded my view of things.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
But he said two things - it'll be a "challenging year" and that we could be in on FA targets. I'm more inclined to believe the former rather than the latter - or that the latter just means garbage heap FA guys that they sign to pretend they signed people.

That said, I fully realize the Loria years have jaded my view of things.
You know what overcomes playing for a challenging franchise for 1-2 years before the prospects are ready: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Payroll is low $40s right now. How hard is it to frontload Castellanos or Ozuna for $20, sign 4 other guys (two bench bats, innings eater, and a reliever) for cumulatively another $12+ million, and you'll have an opening day payroll of $75 million?

That would be third lowest in baseball opening day, and in reality, the lowest because Chen and Castro's dead money would put their on the field payroll the lowest.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
You know what overcomes playing for a challenging franchise for 1-2 years before the prospects are ready: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Payroll is low $40s right now. How hard is it to frontload Castellanos or Ozuna for $20, sign 4 other guys (two bench bats, innings eater, and a reliever) for cumulatively another $12+ million, and you'll have an opening day payroll of $75 million?

That would be third lowest in baseball opening day, and in reality, the lowest because Chen and Castro's dead money would put their on the field payroll the lowest.
You don't have to convince me that's the right plan.

I just have doubts that they'll do it.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
$75 million opening day

Alfaro, Wallach
Cooper, "Cheap Veteran type"
Isan
Rojas, Berti
Anderson, "Cheap Veteran type"
Castellanos
Brinson, Sierra
H. Ramirez

Sandy, Caleb, Pablo, Urena, "Cheap Veteran type"
Stanek, Steckenrider, Brice, Brigham, "Cheap Veteran type"
Garcia, Conley
26th man - E. Hernandez, Yamamoto, Dugger, and rotating arms on 40 man

Dead money - Chen, Castro

We like that team right? Monte, L. Diaz, J. Sanchez, Sixto, Neidert, Guzman, and likely others like Jazz, Cabrera, Rogers, Vesia, etc. are going to break through this season and wipe out the last 7-10 roster spots on the 25 man with turnover

They'll need to sign nothing but maybe a bench guy or two for cheap in 2021. Payroll won't rise!

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
You don't have to convince me that's the right plan.

I just have doubts that they'll do it.
Yea I mean they likely aren't going to do it to pay off the "debt" Loria left them, but it's just insane to me because when you BUILD a business, you need to have a good product. It's not show up and we'll buy free agents.

It's, we're going to make something fun to watch so you do show up.

And when you can do that and have a bottom 3 payroll, while BUILDing for 2022 with frontloading a major free agent bat and an Anderson buyout, I'm just yelling WHY WHY WHY WHY

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
$75 million opening day

Alfaro, Wallach
Cooper, "Cheap Veteran type"
Isan
Rojas, Berti
Anderson, "Cheap Veteran type"
Castellanos
Brinson, Sierra
H. Ramirez

Sandy, Caleb, Pablo, Urena, "Cheap Veteran type"
Stanek, Steckenrider, Brice, Brigham, "Cheap Veteran type"
Garcia, Conley
26th man - E. Hernandez, Yamamoto, Dugger, and rotating arms on 40 man

Dead money - Chen, Castro

We like that team right? Monte, L. Diaz, J. Sanchez, Sixto, Neidert, Guzman, and likely others like Jazz, Cabrera, Rogers, Vesia, etc. are going to break through this season and wipe out the last 7-10 roster spots on the 25 man with turnover

They'll need to sign nothing but maybe a bench guy or two for cheap in 2021. Payroll won't rise!
It really is so simple, yet Jeter says it is complicated or um "challenging".

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Yea I mean they likely aren't going to do it to pay off the "debt" Loria left them, but it's just insane to me because when you BUILD a business, you need to have a good product. It's not show up and we'll buy free agents.

It's, we're going to make something fun to watch so you do show up.

And when you can do that and have a bottom 3 payroll, while BUILDing for 2022 with frontloading a major free agent bat and an Anderson buyout, I'm just yelling WHY WHY WHY WHY
I know I won't be inclined to attend many games if they're a dumpster fire again. And that's someone that sees the plan.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I know I won't be inclined to attend many games if they're a dumpster fire again. And that's someone that sees the plan.
Why would we? It's one thing if it's a 1 year experiment like the Dolphins where they cleared the cap space and got the draft picks quick and presumably next year is going to be a radically different team.

But year 3 of new ownership after clearing the books and being 1+ year out from the prospects?

We all deserve better

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
When you consider how low the payroll stays then Lou's plan even fits what the cheapest of owners would want so how come they don't see it the way Lou does?

It's basically a good team with bargain bin prices, why would they shy away from that?

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
When you consider how low the payroll stays then Lou's plan even fits what the cheapest of owners would want so how come they don't see it the way Lou does?

It's basically a good team with bargain bin prices, why would they shy away from that?
Now you see why I was not pleased the other day.

hovertical

LumberKing
Reaction score
he's worried that he'll block prospects that he hasn't even traded for yet. gotta keep the deck clear..just in case! If he doesn't sign anyone notable (sorry, Avisail Garcia is not it) they'll have plenty of excuses to not sign anyone next season either, because the FA class is rather putrid and thus will be extremely overpriced. So if they don't sign anyone this year you might as well hold off your parade until 2022.

Latest posts

Top Bottom