Joe Biden Starts Presidential Bid Well

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Nothing clean or bright in Biden's '08 opener

By Christina Bellantoni
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
February 1, 2007

Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. of Delaware yesterday made it official that he will seek the Democratic presidential nomination, but stumbled out of the gate with a memorable gaffe that became the focus of his day.
In a critique of the Democratic field, he said of Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois: "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," he told the New York Observer, a weekly. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."
The senator, serving his sixth term, tried to highlight his strong foreign-policy credentials, saying he is best equipped to fix the situation in Iraq.
Taking the remark as a slur against Mr. Obama or other black men who have sought the presidency is taking it "totally out of context," Mr. Biden told reporters after the remark was posted on the Drudge Report, a popular Internet site. He said he called Mr. Obama to explain the context. He issued a formal statement saying he deeply regretted if anyone was offended.
"He understood exactly what I meant, and I have no doubt that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and every other black leader will know exactly what I meant," Mr. Biden said.

Full Article

Okay, so I know John Kerry made a mistake by leaving a word out with his botched joke, but this is much worse. No worse was left out. I don't see how other black Americans in politics haven't been "articulate, bright, clean and nice-looking".

Reactions from other black Americans who have run for president:
A wounded note to his voice, Mr. Jackson pointed out that he had run against Mr. Biden for the 1988 Democratic nomination, and had lasted far longer and drawn more votes than did Mr. Biden. Mr. Biden was forced out in September 1987.

?I am not sure what he means ? ask him to explain what he meant,? Mr. Jackson said. ?I don?t know whether it was an attempt to diminish what I had done in ?88, or to say Barack is all style and no substance.?

Mr. Sharpton said that when Mr. Biden called him to apologize, Mr. Sharpton started off the conversation reassuring Mr. Biden about his hygienic practices. ?I told him I take a bath every day,? Mr. Sharpton said.

This isn't a "everyone knew what I meant" thing by Biden. He didn't have much of a chance to be elected in the first place, but this kinda destroys any chance he had IMO.

EndLine

Muckdog
Reaction score
Sharpton and Jackson are considered mainstream?

FlummoxedLummox

Sharpton and Jackson are considered mainstream?
Regardless of how you cut it, it's an insult. Even if Jackson and Sharpton weren't the ones on his mind when Biden considered "mainstream" candidates, it still means that he thinks previous mainstream (however you define it) black candidates weren't "articulate," weren't "bright," and weren't "clean."

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
Biden clarified his comments on The Daily Show last night.

I agree that this was a really stupid way to start a Presidential campaign. I would think that a political veteran like Biden would know better, but apparently not.

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Haha...this campaign's off to a running start.

I really think he just meant to compliment Obama by calling him the first legitimate black candidate. But that sure came out wrong. He never had a shot anyway.

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't know what he was trying to say here, but the man is a racially insensitive tool. His earlier comments about Indians and convenience stores were idiotic.

Hillary's just as clueless. A couple years ago, she cracked some joke about seeing Gandhi at a gas station.

Flying_Mollusk

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah, Biden is an idiot. He was already behind the 8-ball based on his botched 1988 campaign.

EricWiener

Muckdog
Reaction score
OK, so let me add 'articulate' to the mass of words white people aren't allowed to use any longer.

marlins02

OK, so let me add 'articulate' to the mass of words white people aren't allowed to use any longer.

its the attitude of "hey!! an articulate black man! i never seen that before!!" thats bothering people, not the use of 'articulate'.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I highly doubt he meant it that way...

Still, it's mind-boggling that this stuff comes out of your mouth as you're announcing you're running for president.

When he ran back in 1988, he was outed for stealing parts of speeches from a British politician.

No shot anyway.

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's like the guy has been living in a little white bubble his entire life.

And this just happened this past summer. Amazing how little coverage it got.

Can you imagine what the scene would have been if a senior Republican senator had said something that stupid?

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's like the guy has been living in a little white bubble his entire life.

And this just happened this past summer. Amazing how little coverage it got.
Wow, this guy may not intend to make derogatory comments against other ethnicities, but he has an incredible talent for it because he seems to pretty clueless. I forgot exactly what the situation was, but I think Hillary made a similiar comment about Indians a while back. Incidents like this are why I want a guy like Obama to be president. Hillary and Biden just seem detached from the general public when they make comments like this. Biden shouldn't be saying something I'd expect from Carlos Mencia.

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
I forgot exactly what the situation was, but I think Hillary made a similiar comment about Indians a while back.
yeah, this one:

lolz he deserved it

Dodge

Muckdog
Reaction score
Oh boo-hoo. I don't see the harm in Hillary's or Biden's comments. In fact I find them somewhat humorous.

EricWiener

Muckdog
Reaction score

its the attitude of "hey!! an articulate black man! i never seen that before!!" thats bothering people, not the use of 'articulate'.

In Biden's case perhaps, but the same heat is being put onto the President for using the same word in an entirely different context.

Flying_Mollusk

Muckdog
Reaction score
Oh boo-hoo. I don't see the harm in Hillary's or Biden's comments. In fact I find them somewhat humorous.

It would be like referring to MLK and saying he must have loved his fried chicken and watermelon. It's blatantly offensive. Biden's comments are along the same lines of negligence as George Allen. He sees an Indian and doesn't see a young person, likely born and raised American, but makes a comment about Indians coming from India opening 7-11 and all having accents.

Sadly, south asians will be picked up by the ignorant on both sides until they increase the backlash ala blacks and hispanics. Same goes for asians.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've never really like the whole stereotyping many people in this country put on Indians. I'm very guilty of stereotyping them, but that's just because some of the most brilliant people I've come across are Indians and some of the best mathematic acheivements were done in India. And yet dueces look at them and see someone who makes them slurpees.

Top Bottom