What's new

John Baker needs to be called up.... like yesterday

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Our catcher's are absolutely deplorable on offense.

In AAA, Baker is hitting .321/.407/.513 in 78 at bats with 9 doubles and 2 homeruns

How about this.

Miguel Olivo vs lefties this year: .361/.425/.611
John Baker vs righties this year: .343/.421/.567

platoon em :whistle

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
how good is he on D? Not like Olivo is stellar there either. . .

Nny

Muckdog
Reaction score
You would think the FO would be quicker to call him up considering what they gave up for him.

But yeah, how's his Defense/Arm?

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
I agree. Would we have to put treanor through waivers to send him down to AAA?

Hell start him full time.

Bakers splits vs LHP are atrocious, but to be fair he only has 11 AB vs LHP.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
defensively he can call a fine game and block the plate adequately

his arm isn't too great, but it isn't Mike Piazza either

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I can't see a reason not to, unless they're concerned about him not being familiar enough with our pitchers.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I concur completley. Olivo is terrible with the glove and looks absolutly lost at the plate. John Baker can't really be that much worse so it's certainly worth a shot.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think we should be carrying three catchers anyways.

I like Ramp's splits L/R but you don't want to throw away Treanor's defense and game-calling and Baker can a be good bat off the bench (in other words adios T. Linden).

Olivo clearly needs a rest. Like so many catchers they get this iron-man mentality, utlimately crashing and burning. Baker's problem is his defense. Used properly the three of them can be a plus for the team.

geemoney

Muckdog
Reaction score
I never bought into the "Olivo is teh suxoorz" argument, but I'm starting to come around. At this point, I'm even hoping he's not our starting catcher come September.

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
Olivo is getting worn out because he has to play everyday......because Treanor is the worst hitting catcher in the majors and Fredi doesn't want to play him at all. I like Ramp's idea. The Marlins have nothing to lose because Treanor sucks.

Nny

Muckdog
Reaction score
I agree. Would we have to put treanor through waivers to send him down to AAA?

If so, the only team that I could think that would pick him up would be the Yankees, since they're the only team AFAIK that's looking for a back up catcher.

But even then, I don't think they would pick him up due to his lack of offense.

There might be a team I'm missing but I'm pretty sure he would pass waivers if he's out of options.

I agree about wanting to keep Treanor up though, unless Baker can prove he can catch Willis/Kim(although hopefully he'll only get a few more starts)/ect well.

canada-marlin24

Muckdog
Reaction score
yes i agree olivo has been slumping bad lately but hes due to get hot like he was b4 this started.....and btw i started a jon baker call up thread a few days ago hahah

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Olivo is getting worn out because he has to play everyday......because Treanor is the worst hitting catcher in the majors and Fredi doesn't want to play him at all. I like Ramp's idea. The Marlins have nothing to lose because Treanor sucks.
Olivo has not shown to be good when rested so don't use that excuse. Sure, Treanor sucks too, but that doesn't spare Olivo from doing his job.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ramp, do you think this could happen sometime this year? Baker is probably not our savior but it would be nice to see someone different behind the plate.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ramp, do you think this could happen sometime this year? Baker is probably not our savior but it would be nice to see someone different behind the plate.
Yea, I expect him to be up... I have no educated guesses as to when though, because you would think he would be up by now.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
You would think the FO would be quicker to call him up considering what they gave up for him
Sorry... that made me laugh

Top Bottom