What's new

John Baker

canada-marlin24

Muckdog
Reaction score
young catcher that we got from the A's...hitting like a champ in AAA and is a lefty.....definitely think we should bring him up for treanor since when treanor bats he is literally worse than some of our pitchers. I know he plays hard and does great catching but we also need a bat in there...think we should call baker up??? wasn't he supossed to come up in the first place??

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
he was never supposed to come up

it was irresponsible journalism by the mlb.com guys

he is just getting over a lung infection

also, the FO loves Treanor's defense and Baker can't hold a candle to it....

Treanor is an excellent defensive catcher. Thats what backup catchers are for.

With as bad as Olivos defense is, you figure people would learn to appreciate Treanor more. He shouldnt start by any means, but he is a breath of fresh air BEHIND the plate every time hes there.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
There aren't many all defense/no offense backup catcher's in the league

True.

All I could think of though. I like Treanor. Do I think he is great? No. Is he a serviceable backup? Yes.

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
Matt Treanor sucks. That why Miguel Olivo plays almost every single day. At least if they brought Baker up they could afford to give Olvio a rest once in a while. A little rest here and there really helps a catcher keep fresh during the season. All of you Treanor fans listen up........Dontrelle Willis and Scott Olsen are betting hitters than him so it doesn't matter how good his defense is.

Matt Treanor sucks. That why Miguel Olivo plays almost every single day. At least if they brought Baker up they could afford to give Olvio a rest once in a while. A little rest here and there really helps a catcher keep fresh during the season. All of you Treanor fans listen up........Dontrelle Willis and Scott Olsen are betting hitters than him so it doesn't matter how good his defense is.

Thats just crazy talk.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
:thumbup

I cant understand for life of me why people piss on Olivo (there is offensive upside there) but give Treanor a pass

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
I totally agree with you Shamrock. If the Marlins cut Treanor today......he would be playing AA ball somewhere.

Probably AAA actually, or Japan.

AA is where the good prospects go, and Treanor is neither good(while I like him and think he is a serviceable backup) or a prospect.

Just a dude with a mildy attractive wife.

yandro

Muckdog
Reaction score
Just a dude with a mildy attractive wife.
Mildly?

I just think shes overrated.

Nice bodonkadonk though, thats awesome.

geemoney

Muckdog
Reaction score
I always thought backups were supposed to be more D than O, so I did a little digging:

Molina, Ana: .212, 1 RBI; 4 CS in 9 ATT, 0 E
Quintero, Hou: .222, 1 RBI; 2 CS in 5 ATT
Melhuse, Oak: .125, 2 RBI
Pena, Atl: .217, 1 RBI; 4 CS in 8 ATT, 0 E
Miller, Mil: .211, 3 RBI; 0 E, 0 PB
Paul, TB: .238, 5 RBI; 0 E, 5 CS in 12 ATT
Lieberthal, LA: .200, 1 RBI; 1 CS in 1 ATT, 0 E or PB

I went down alphabetically (by nickname) on MLB.com and looked at the first 13 teams. These are seven who I would consider more defensive than offensive backup catchers. Maybe not "all defense/no offense" like you said, but certainly I'd say leaning more toward defense.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
most of those guys are actually offensive-minded even though they arnt showing it

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think Treanor should be playing more. How bout that? I would like to see him catch every time Dontrelle Willis pitches(I think Olivo does a horrible job catching Willis and think he would have better numbers if Treanor was catching him) and every day game.

It's not like we have an offensive juggernaut in Miguel Olivo, the guy is putting up a .630 OPS which is lower than what Treanor put up last year in 150+ at bats.

If anything I think we should put Olivo on the DL and call up Baker if/when he is 100% healthy.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think Treanor should be playing more. How bout that? I would like to see him catch every time Dontrelle Willis pitches(I think Olivo does a horrible job catching Willis and think he would have better numbers if Treanor was catching him) and every day game.
Well that's a given

Last year Willis' numbers were so much better with Treanor catching than with Olivo catching.

if only I could find that thread...

Top Bottom