What's new

Jonathan Villar acquired

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I'm gonna ask this again because I'm getting more confused the more I think about it.

Weren't both Aguilar and Villar designated for assignment?

Why were we able to claim Aguilar for nothing yet had to work out a trade for Villar?

Why couldn't we have just claimed Villar for nothing too? I thought that was the way this worked then apparently it wasn't and then they went and got Aguilar this way so I'm now totally lost.
Entire AL could have claimed Villar before Marlins I believe. So, that's a risk. Aguilar passed through the AL. Villar probably wouldn't have so the Marlins gave them "something."

This is the kind of move we would pan the Marlins for making if we're Baltimore fans. I'd be livid not paying him to trade him in June/July. They'll get a better prospect than they gave up and help bridge the gap to Lewin/Monte/Sanchez.

The only negative here is, this eats up money for a longterm signing, i.e. a Castellanos frontload. That's likely not happening now. They will sign Avisail/Dickerson, an innings eater, and a reliever and have a solid team on paper with no longterm money committed.

Hopefully, they buyout Anderson and frontload the deal. At least try and save some money that way. This Villar thing is an unexpected gift so I can see how that may change plans.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Just read that the Orioles were targeting Easton Lucas in the draft so they actually got someone they had been wanting so at least this makes more sense from the perspective of their front office. Definitely had to help the Marlins get what they wanted.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Also this kinda shows the difference in where the Marlins and Orioles are in their rebuilds. Orioles getting rid of productive and relatively cheap players because their goal is tanking and saving money wherever they can while the Marlins are looking to find these cheap productive players who can slowly but surely start helping the MLB team gather wins.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Finally answered my own question... Villar was not designated for assignment by the Orioles, he was put on "outright waivers", so the Marlins had to work out a trade to get him.

Aguilar was DFA'd so the Marlins could just claim him for nothing off of "unconditional release waivers."

Basically they were put on two different types of waivers.

Good thing we have Harvard educated genius Mike Hill sorting this stuff out for us.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
If the Marlins have the opportunity to sign Villar and they don’t, it’s because they don’t want to spend money.

they can spin that all they want but they won’t be fooling anyone.
Happy with the result?

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
This is the kind of move we would pan the Marlins for making if we're Baltimore fans. I'd be livid not paying him to trade him in June/July. They'll get a better prospect than they gave up and help bridge the gap to Lewin/Monte/Sanchez.
Absolutely and if you read comments on Twitter, Orioles fans are indeed livid.

AeroFishOne

Muckdog
Reaction score
I’ve not been paying attention to baseball really for a while. Is this a move that gets us a franchise player or is this just another face that’s gone in a year or two?

Second question, do we have a future franchise player right now or are the prospects to far out to give that status too?

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I’ve not been paying attention to baseball really for a while. Is this a move that gets us a franchise player or is this just another face that’s gone in a year or two?

Second question, do we have a future franchise player right now or are the prospects to far out to give that status too?
He's under team control for only 2020, so they will likely trade him to a contender at the deadline.

I guess Brian Anderson could be the answer to the second question.

fauowls44

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's under team control for only 2020, so they will likely trade him to a contender at the deadline.

I guess Brian Anderson could be the answer to the second question.
I'm not entirely sure that they traded for Villar just to flip him at the deadline. While that is certainly a possibility, if Villar turns in another season like he did last year, he's young enough for the Marlins to want to extend at some point. Another possibility would be to keep him the year, give him the qualifying offer, and then collect a draft pick if he signs elsewhere. Either way they decide to go, they still should end up with more than they gave up.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure that they traded for Villar just to flip him at the deadline. While that is certainly a possibility, if Villar turns in another season like he did last year, he's young enough for the Marlins to want to extend at some point. Another possibility would be to keep him the year, give him the qualifying offer, and then collect a draft pick if he signs elsewhere. Either way they decide to go, they still should end up with more than they gave up.
That's true.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not convinced Villar is here as just a guy to flip for prospects in half a season.

I think many are looking at Villar first as being the new "best guy on the team" but I'm more excited about how he helps us in a backup role. I see him more as the first line of defense to help us if any of Diaz or Anderson or Rojas struggle. Think of it this way, we'll start the 2 best of Anderson Diaz and Rojas and the odd man out will be replaced by Villar... immensely boosting our lineup wherever he plays. And where he plays could vary throughout the season.

Jonathan VIllar could really fit on this Marlins team for quite some time.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
This and this...

On paper, today, Villar is our starting 3B... but throughout 2020 I think he's in the lineup everyday more as an insurance policy for whoever is struggling. He's the depth/backup plan at the MLB level that we haven't had in recent seasons.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Hill was coming from the future, he selects Easton Lucas because he knows the Orioles would trade Villar for this player …

Latest posts

Top Bottom