What's new

Jonny Gomes

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
Maddon hates the guy. He's only started 14 games and he was just sent to AAA. He needs to be given the chance to move on. He's a pretty quality hitter and he can play center field.

Why not make an offer?

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
Where did you get that he can play CF? You can't just throw random guys out there and hope they stick, it doesn't work that way. He would be comparable to putting Josh Willingham in center.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
Where did you get that he can play CF? You can't just throw random guys out there and hope they stick, it doesn't work that way. He would be comparable to putting Josh Willingham in center.
He played there in the minors.

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score

If he did, I am sure it was a disaster. The guy has never played one game at center in the bigs and usually plays DH because he is such a poor defender even as a corner OFer.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score

If he did, I am sure it was a disaster. The guy has never played one game at center in the bigs and usually plays DH because he is such a poor defender even as a corner OFer.
Still, how do you not give the guy a look? He put up some damn good minor league numbers a few years ago and had two consecutive 20+ HR seasons last year and the year before. And neither time did he get his full shot.

Probably wouldn't cost much, either. Besides, he can't be much worse than Amezaga as an outfielder.

Reaction score
Maddon hates the guy. He's only started 14 games and he was just sent to AAA. He needs to be given the chance to move on. He's a pretty quality hitter and he can play center field.

Why not make an offer?

because its not worth the time. hes a DH, his defense sucks. i thought he was a 2b/3b a couple years back. we have uggla and cabby.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score

Why not make an offer?

because its not worth the time. hes a DH, his defense sucks. i thought he was a 2b/3b a couple years back. we have uggla and cabby.
He was never an infielder.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's absolute garbage in the field. He has a sub-par arm, takes bad routes to the ball and can't run.

He's a 1b/dh and nothing more

calling him a 1b is a stretch too

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's absolute garbage in the field. He has a sub-par arm, takes bad routes to the ball and can't run.
And Amezaga has a good arm and takes good routes? Or Abercrombie?

Reaction score

Why not make an offer?

i was thinking of jorge cantu. my bad.

anyway, still no.

id rather see us get a stadium deal and sign Torii Hunter in the offseason.

P.S.

Dolphin Stadium center field is in no way comparable to most center fields in the majors, let alone the minors.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score

Why not make an offer?

id rather see us get a stadium deal and sign Torii Hunter in the offseason.
FYI, its probably not healthy to dwell on fantasy too much.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Amezaga and Abercrombie have the speed to make up for a bad route.

And actually, when Alfredo can set himself up, his arm ain't half bad

I would rather have Alf in CF than Gomes anyday of the week and twice on Fridays

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score
Abercrombie has a good arm and good speed. Amezega has much better speed to make up for his mistakes...PS Amezega is a better fielder than Gomes and Amezega didn't even play OF until last year.

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
I doubt we bring in a guy like Gomes. If we're looking at making an offer for anybody right now, it's a pitcher. One guy I would look at is Wade Miller. The Cubs don't have room for him and he may be cut loose. We probably won't go after him but he'll be there all the same.

AGonzalez11

Muckdog
Reaction score
Gomes in CF???? :blink:

maybe we should just put cabrera in center.....that's about what you'd be getting with gomes in center

Top Bottom