What's new

Jorge Julio Out as Closer

HelmsE

Muckdog
Reaction score
Julio ?
via Yahoo/KFFL player updates:

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel is reporting Florida Marlins CL Jorge Julio has been removed from the closer role. No further information was given as to who might assume the position for the near future.

The link to the article is here although there is only a short sentence about it at the bottom of the page. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Excellent news. The closer role is for guys who don't need to work on their mechanics.

MarlinatPenn

Muckdog
Reaction score
Julio out as closer after loss

By Craig Barnes
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted April 12 2007

MIAMI GARDENS ? The Marlins didn't find out until Wednesday's conclusion of Tuesday night's suspended game that they couldn't overcome Jorge Julio's blown save. By the time the Brewers completed a 3-2 victory in 13 innings the Marlins already had decided to replace Julio as closer.

Julio, who also blew a save last week in Washington, was told Wednesday that he would be pitching in the sixth or seventh innings for now. Manager Fredi Gonzalez hasn't chosen a new closer. Henry Owens, Lee Gardner and Matt Lindstrom are candidates.

"It is best for me right now," said Julio, who has 99 career saves.

"I need to work on my game, especially my command. I like this team, and I want to help it, not hurt it. We have a lot of games to go."

Prince Fielder's run-scoring single off left-hander Renyel Pinto scored Rickie Weeks, who had walked, to give the Brewers their first win over the Marlins in nine games. Milwaukee's eight pitchers had 17 strikeouts including nine by starter Claudio Vargas, tying his career high.

Fiedler tied a franchise record by reaching base seven consecutive times in the 4-hour, 3-minute game that was interrupted by 103 minutes of rain delays and resumed under Major League Baseball's new rule to pick up a game from the point of suspension rather than replay it from the start.

The Marlins carried a 2-1 lead into the ninth inning Tuesday thanks to Mike Jacobs' run-scoring single and Dan Uggla's sacrifice fly. But Julio couldn't hold it as the Brewers tied the game on a walk to Weeks and J.J. Hardy's double.

The blown save overshadowed Rick Vanden Hurk's first major league start. He pitched 42/3 innings, throwing first-pitch strikes to the first nine batters he faced, striking out five in a row and allowing one run on five hits.

"You would have sworn that it was his 20th start, not his first," Gonzalez said, "by his poise and the way he carried himself. He is a special guy."

Gonzalez wouldn't confirm the Julio move.

"We will do what is best for the organization, the team and the player," Gonzalez said, and the move covered all three.

A relieved Julio made it clear to Gonzalez that he would be ready to pitch every day and continue to work on regaining his command and returning to the closer's role.

"It is a new team for me," Julio said. "I know how closers have done here in the past. I want to do the same thing. Maybe, I'm trying too hard."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins

I am really encouraged by his attitude here.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score

I thought the same thing when I read it this morning. He's been around the block and knows his situation and how bad his performance has been. Good to see he's not living in denial.

FlummoxedLummox

I thought the same thing when I read it this morning. He's been around the block and knows his situation and how bad his performance has been. Good to see he's not living in denial.
Yup. Me too. It gives me faith that he might be able to turn around his season and be able to contributes.

Juanky

This is a happy compromise, at least. I really wish we were getting the backstory between Beinfest and Gonzalez here.

Lindstrom for closer.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is a happy compromise, at least. I really wish we were getting the backstory between Beinfest and Gonzalez here.

Do you think there may be some disagreement between them?

BIG Z

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm happy for the team, the fans and Julio. Other closers no matter how bad they're doing once you take the title of "Closer" away from them, they want to kill everyone. Atleast Julio is cooperative, that's really good to hear.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score

:thumbup

He had to know this was coming sooner or later.

sdg210

Muckdog
Reaction score
But why did they send down Gardner? They should have sent down Julio!!! But I guess we'll take what we can get.

Juanky

Do you think there may be some disagreement between them?I suspect there is, yes.

djm305

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think Lindstrom should be the closer. He throws it very hard and has closer type stuff.

DelGOT2Rings

Muckdog
Reaction score
Julio has been garbage, but knowing that the FO wasn't going to cut-and-run so quickly, this seems like the best compromise. Announce it quickly, and let Owens, Gregg, Lidstrom, and Tank fight it out for the closer's spot.

The interesting thing will be if (and WHEN) Beinfest pushes Julio back into the closer's role. If someone like Owens can convert a few save opportunities in a row, I honestly think Beinfest would destroy team morale if he handed Julio the closer's role again, no matter how great Julio performs in a 7th inning or mop-up-duty role. Which leads me to a theory here....

Beinfest will not allow Fredi to use the same closer in consecutive save appearances. This will be a rotating closer-by-committee for at least the next few weeks. Bank on it. That will ensure that, even if someone like Owens or Gregg steps up and converts a save opportunity, Beinfest could still re-insert Julio into the "committee" without appearing like he is trying to sabotage the team or deny Owens or Gregg the closer's role. He'll keep this thing going for a few weeks, and if Julio converts a few scoreless innings he will push Julio into the committee and say that "nobody has really separated themselves from the pack" to earn the cloer's role.

BTW, I don't want to get replies that I believe Beinfest is trying to sabotage the team - because I don't believe that. I think Beinfest thinks it is best for the team long-term if Julio can close out games for us, or at least make a positive contribution as a set-up or late-inning guy. This whole thing will be interesting to watch.

XxFactorxX

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is excellent news. Julio is approaching this well and hopefully he can manage to get out of this slump and be a good option for us in the pen.

Top Bottom