What's new

Josh Hamilton

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
Get this...

Josh Hamilton's last home run? 2002. He hit 9 in 2002 before having season-ending surgery on July 18 of that year.

Add to that -- he called it.

Hamilton and David Ross were talking before that at-bat. Ross was counting all the homers that had been hit already during the game. Hamilton then said, "You forgot one." After Ross looked at him, Hamilton continued, "The one I'm going to hit."

And did he ever.

With all that Hamilton has been through, you could just see the excitement on his face and how much being out here -- forget the home run -- meant to him.

We've been debating this since the beginning of spring training. At first I was in the minority that I thought they'd keep him. I don't think I am anymore. I'd even put money on it. I'll be shocked if he isn't a Red in 2008.

Side note, if Hermanson makes the roster, he'll make $500,000.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp...inmlb_pitmlb_1
Boxscore

Thatta boy Josh

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know Beinfest'd jump on him in a minute, come on Cincy, do us a favor.

The Fan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Description from ESPN on the HR:
BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) -- Josh Hamilton's drive didn't just clear the fence. It sailed over the flags above the batter's backdrop, roughly 50 feet high and beyond the 400-foot mark in center.

markotsay7

I'm pulling for the guy like all hell.

Way to go, Josh.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Description from ESPN on the HR:
BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) -- Josh Hamilton's drive didn't just clear the fence. It sailed over the flags above the batter's backdrop, roughly 50 feet high and beyond the 400-foot mark in center.
he's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know Beinfest'd jump on him in a minute, come on Cincy, do us a favor.
If he shows ANYTHING in spring training, he is going to make the team.

I can't wait to see him in action on MLB.TV tomorrow night.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Guys, Hamilton went 3 for 4 yesterday with 2 doubles. He might make the final roster if he keeps this up. Although it's a numbers game with the Reds. They can only keep so many Outfielders

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
Guys Hamilton went 3 for 4 yesterday with 2 doubles. He might make the final roster if he keeps this up he will make the roster although it's a numbers game with the Reds. They can only keep so many Outfielders
I think Denorfia is going to start they year in AAA if Hamilton keeps this up.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Damnit it is so unfair...The Reds didn't need him as badly as we do! Thet still have Junior, Denorfia is there as well. Don't forget Bruce is a step away. Beinfest had every intent of selecting Josh in the rule V. It is sooooo unfair!

The Fan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Any video of the HR? Also, has anyone seen any final measurement estimation?

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hamilton is 8-15 with a walk this spring.
He's 1-1 today with a walk, so make that 9-16.

Any video of the HR? Also, has anyone seen any final measurement estimation?
Sorry no, but I heard the homer was estimated over 500 feet.

yandro

Muckdog
Reaction score
Josh is now suffering from shin splints

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Opposing pitching has yet to slow down Reds outfielder Josh Hamilton this spring, but sore legs temporarily have.
Because he's been bothered by shin splints, Hamilton will be rested from Tuesday's game against the Devil Rays at St. Petersburg.

The overall No. 1 draft pick by Tampa Bay in 1999, Hamilton's first return to the area as a visiting player was expected to draw some extra attention. He was part of the Rays organization during his near four-year absence from the game because of drug suspensions and injuries and never reached the Majors as greatly anticipated.

"I've had it the last week and a half," Hamilton said of his injury. "But I know people will think I'm not going because of who we're playing."

Hamilton played his fifth-straight game for the Reds on Monday and went 1-for-1 against the Phillies with a walk and a run scored as the center fielder. He was lifted from the game before the fourth inning and replaced by Jerry Gil.

This spring, Hamilton is 9-for-16 (.563) with a homer, three RBIs and four runs scored. Reds manager Jerry Narron had originally planned to play the 25-year-old against his old organization.

"Tampa Bay has nothing to do with it," Narron said. "That's why I took him out of the game after two at-bats today."

Narron expected Hamilton would miss just the one game. The manager is trying to give him as many at-bats as possible this spring to improve his chances of making the team. Because he's a Rule 5 Draft player, if Cincinnati doesn't keep Hamilton on the 25-man roster all season, he could still be offered back to Tampa Bay if he's not claimed off of waivers first.

The Reds and Devil Rays will meet twice more after Tuesday, including March 23 at St. Petersburg.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=cin

mdmarlinsfan7

Muckdog
Reaction score
has anyone noticed how well josh hamilton is starting off? its early yes but i know we were interested in him in the rule 5 draft. if he has a great spring anyone think we can pull off a deal to get him? i dont think it would take that much plus the reds already have 4 outfielders( and thats not including conine who can play OF)

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
yea, a bunch of us have taken notice

only problem is he can't play CF

I fully expect him to make the Reds team, and right now they have no reason to move him, and we have nothing to give them either

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
There's not a snowballs chance in hell Narron would let him get traded. There's no way I would trade him.

Much better chance of getting Denorfia then Hamilton.

Top Bottom