What's new

Julio will be clsoing for a while

Reaction score
Gonzalez said he pulled Julio for a couple of reasons. Foremost, the manager said, was because he logged 31 pitches the night before. Julio is not expected to pitch Monday when the Marlins face the Brewers at home.

But on Tuesday, if there is a save situation, Gonzalez intends to go with Julio.

"We've got to run him back out there," Gonzalez said. "One of the biggest reasons I didn't let him finish was he threw 31 pitches yesterday and he was up to 19. That's, back to back, a lot of pitches.

"It's a tough decision, but we had to go out and get him. But he's a very important piece to our team, and we've got to get him straight. The only way I know to do that is, you can't stick him in a simulator. We've got to keep running him out there. This guy has got [99] career saves."

From the article on our win yesterday. Sounds like something sportspickle.com threw together. He can't be serious can he :confused

djm305

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Full Article was written by Joe Fisaro @ MLB.com

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/gameda...sp&c_id=fla

It seems like those are the sentiments of Freddi. Julio will continue to get oppurtunities but eventually if he keeps sucking he will be demoted from the closer job. I just don't know what it is going to take for Freddi to do that. He seems pretty comitted to Julio as a closer.

TimeWrecker

Muckdog
Reaction score
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

jdcane98

Muckdog
Reaction score
Jo Bo looked horrible early last year and came on strong and eventually impressed us all. Let's give him a chance, if he doesnt get taht ERA down to 4.00 or under after 40 games in, then we can hang him in effigy.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have no problem with Fredi's decision as long as he knows when to pull him like he did yesterday. You can tell he wants Julio to succeed badly, especially since its so early in the season.

BeefWillingham

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Full Article was written by Joe Fisaro @ MLB.com

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/gameda...sp&c_id=fla

It seems like those are the sentiments of Freddi. Julio will continue to get oppurtunities but eventually if he keeps sucking he will be demoted from the closer job. I just don't know what it is going to take for Freddi to do that. He seems pretty comitted to Julio as a closer.

I think it is more of a Beinfest decision. Most heard what he said about Julio during yesterday's game and Fredi basically knows that he needs to agree with it. Beinfest went out and made a last minute trade for Julio and threw him right into the closer role and isn't going to be too quick to get rid of him after making that move.

mafatumatt

Muckdog
Reaction score
you all turn on beinfest so fast.

without beinfest's great moves this 30 million dollar payroll would be 1-5 not 4-2.

jump on julio after a month not a week.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
yea, Beinfest runs the team

the manager is just a figurehead

mafatumatt

Muckdog
Reaction score
ok, let me clarify more.

gonzalez does a great job managing the players. he's mixed em well.

but if it wasnt for beinfest we wouldnt HAVE the players.

im just saying he's usually pretty good at picking them, so give julio a little time.

and gonzalez would be crazy to move a proven player down the roster so fast. one week does not mean the guy is done.... as i recall todd jones blew like 3-4 straight saves for the tigers last year and they didn't dump him as the closer. they kept him there for the WORLD SERIES

EricWiener

Muckdog
Reaction score
I also find it interesting that Gonzalez was so committed to giving the starting CF nod to either Sanchez or Abercrombie despite their poor performance up until the last moment of spring training. They were both of course Beinfest's children.

You guys are reading so much into everything. Julio is going to get a couple more chances, that's it, and the manager can't give a guy more chances while saying "he's crap!"

BTW, De Aza's one of Beinfest's players too.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
if it wasnt for beinfest we wouldnt HAVE the players.
Beinfest is a good GM but he had nothing to do with Cabrera or Willingham being here and without Beckett we wouldn't have Hanley. He deserves credit but he's not a miracle worker and he's not Mr. Perfect and he was incredibly fortunate to take over a team loaded with young talent.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
and gonzalez would be crazy to move a proven player down the roster so fast. one week does not mean the guy is done.... as i recall todd jones blew like 3-4 straight saves for the tigers last year and they didn't dump him as the closer. they kept him there for the WORLD SERIES
All Julio has proven in the past is that he has no control and has no clue where the ball is going.

Flamarlins3

Muckdog
Reaction score
I also find it interesting that Gonzalez was so committed to giving the starting CF nod to either Sanchez or Abercrombie despite their poor performance up until the last moment of spring training. They were both of course Beinfest's children.

Because they were the ones expected to win the job. You're going to give them every possible chance. No one could have possibly predicted De Aza winning the starting job to start spring training and even half way through it was still a long shot. Hell half the board thought it was a bad idea to rush him into the majors when he was chosen. (It still may be. Only been a week, but so far so good)

I do agree with the Julio situation though. He needs to be dropped down in the bullpen. Bring him out in low pressure situations and let him get it worked out that way. Then if he comes back strong maybe he can earn the closer role back.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I didn't expect to hear him say he was scrapping Julio yet. What I want at the very least is for him to be moved into non-critical situations until he gets himself straightened out.

For god sakes lets not throw him out in the 9th when the game is on the line unless he can show he can get outs in a blowout first.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score

wrong again buddy. I heard Fredi talking very highly of De Aza weeks before the start of the season. He clearly stated that De Aza had a chance to make the team, and he loved how the De Aza played the game. No need to come up with these wild speculations to prove your point.

And do we need another thread on Julio?

Yessir

Muckdog
Reaction score
Beinfest needs to take an L with this one. He's done great with this team and is one the best personnel makers/GM's in the game. But he has to realized that Julio isn't getting it done. Simple as that. He got all infactuated with Julio's speed, his high 90's fastball and all, but the dude hasn't delivered a solid close yet. He may have 99 saves, but he's never been a fulltime closer...And that's for good reason.

Lee Gardner looked pretty good closing out that 9th yesterday. I want him closing. Plus there's makings for potential great and catchy nickname/moniker: "The Gardner" lol.

BTW, 1st post on here!

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Beinfest needs to take an L with this one. He's done great with this team and is one the best personnel makers/GM's in the game. But he has to realized that Julio isn't getting it done. Simple as that. He got all infactuated with Julio's speed, his high 90's fastball and all, but the dude hasn't delivered a solid close yet. He many have 99 saves, but he's never been a fulltime closer...And that's for good reason.

Lee Gardner looked pretty good closing out that 9th yesterday. I want him closing. Plus there's makings for potential great and catchy nickname/moniker: "The Gardner" lol.

BTW, 1st post on here!

Welcome to the boards!

llahsram

Muckdog
Reaction score
Welcome to the board, Yessir!

My two concerns is 1) how many chances do we give Julio, and 2) will Freddi have the smarts like he did yesterday to pull Julio and put in the Gardner. I'm all about a guy getting his second chances, but I am waiting to be impressed with Jorge. Although I think he may still be able come around, at this point I would be very watchful of him.

My suggestion is that we use Jorge the same way we used Matt Herges in midseason. Instead of putting him in closing roles, we put him in relief roles where we were already down. Matt actually did okay when he wasn't responsible for saves.

Mudcatsfan2

Muckdog
Reaction score
As to Lee's nickname as a closer......

How about, THE CONSTANT GARDNER

Top Bottom