What's new

Just some random thoughts on CF

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
No one has to have it explained to them that I've been following a small group of ready for primetime CFers on the Royals and Angels all off-season. Thought I'd post a quick update in light of the Matthews thing looking like it's near resolution without a suspension.

At LA - Terry Evans had a good spring, had been returned to the minors, the fourth most ready for MLB in LA. Gorneault is still in MLB camp as are Murphy (2) and Willits (1). Murphy is killing the ball, Willits is doing his usual .350 BA/.480 OBP, the man is a machine, the three of them fighting for one bench job now that Matthews is back in CF. Murphy is hitting .321/.340 with 2hrs and 18rbi. Both Murphy and Willits could start tomorrow on half or more of the teams in baseball. Unbelievably Willits started off slowly having had his arm in a cast the better part of the winter but has been a man posessed since the Matthews thing flared up as his numbers show. That .480 OBP would seem impossible were it not for the fact he did the same thing in AAA last season posting the highest OBP in minor league ball.

In KC - There's three guys who are fighting it out for a bench job as Sanders, DeJesus and Brown settle in. Our old friend Joey Gathright is having a good spring, .375 BA/ .450 OBP, Shane Costa, who won the job coming out of camp last spring until a muscle tear sent him to the minors for rehab has been hampered by a bad back but had a good winter ball season, is at .286/.360 but in only 21 ABs. Mitch Maier, the youngest and best of the three offensively and defensively is already in the minor league camp, squeezed out early. BA thinks alot of him. The big problem for the three guys mentioned is like their counterparts in LA, they are about to squeezed out of possible work by a new crop of phenom prospects who are about to push them to the side. Gathright and Costa could play CF today and have at the big league level, Maier is half a season either in the bigs or AAA away from being ready. Maier supposedly has the best defensive outfielder in the system and had a massive AFL.

Things are starting to fall into place in LA and KC and some of these guys are going to be without MLB jobs regardless of their skills. There may be an ass for every seat but that doesn't mean we are in a position right now to match up on a trade although both teams are admittedly weak in minor league pitching prospects. Can't say, won't say one of them will wind up playing for the Fish come opening day but I'll bet one of them winds up starting somewhere before the season starts.

Just sort of a headsup. No crystal ball, no inside anything. Just six or seven guys who fit what I think is the Marlins mold, mid-twenties, skilled but permanently blocked by even better players with younger guys crawling up behind them eager to make the bigs as well. And they all can hit.

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd really like to get one of those guys who can probably be had for cheap, but I really think the FO is being much too patient regarding the CF situation and probably won't make a move. The reality is that other teams know the depth of pitching we have which has somewhat devalued our second tier pitching prospects.

Reed is Master

Muckdog
Reaction score
heres your quote Willits is doing his usual .350 BA/.480 OBP, "the man is a machine",
that is spring training correct if your opinion is" the man is a machine",then look at these stats and tell me what these guys are
22ab .364/.391/.409
22ab .364/.375/.545
28ab .214/.214/.357
seems all are pretty much comparable wouldnt you agree??
just a question I'll hang up and listen to your reply

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
heres your quote Willits is doing his usual .350 BA/.480 OBP, "the man is a machine",
that is spring training correct if your opinion is" the man is a machine",then look at these stats and tell me what these guys are
22ab .364/.391/.409
22ab .364/.375/.545
28ab .214/.214/.357

The problem is that one of those got a chance at the MLB level and proved nothing. I think I maybe saw him hitting the ball out of the infield once. Horrible ABs is all I remember from the "Master"

Reed is Master

Muckdog
Reaction score
Im askin Marlins 2003 thats all
my point is stats if you just focus on the stats then every guy that I listed would be considered a machine!!
end of my point I/'ll still wait for your reply Marlins Im truly interested in your synopsis and i would like to read your opinion and please if you would stick to the question all this rederic (from others) is clouding the facts and the point agree??

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
22ab .364/.391/.409
22ab .364/.375/.545
28ab .214/.214/.357

No.

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
Put me in the camp where I would be happy with the Marlins acquiring just about any CF.

I really don't like any of the choices we have with the club right now, except maybe Borchard, but I'm still not sold on his defensive ability. I truly believe for the Marlins to be a good team, they have to have a great(range,at least) defensive CFer in that ballpark. Mitch Maier would be great.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'll throw another name out there...Jimerson!
He is playing well and is not even assured a spot on the Astros bench. Somebody made a comment that Pence was starting the season in the minors. The way that kid hits if he is sent down it would be a huge mistake. Sending him down would be enough not to have a manager fired but to have him committed to a mental institution. Jimerson is without a doubt lost in the Astros numbers game. He is a UM guy and would be very happy playing for the Marlins

Reed is Master

Muckdog
Reaction score
22ab .364/.391/.409
22ab .364/.375/.545
28ab .214/.214/.357

No.
:lol
yea now thats funny

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'll throw another name out there...Jimerson!
He is playing well and is not even assured a spot on the Astros bench. Somebody made a comment that Pence was starting the season in the minors. The way that kid hits if he is sent down it would be a huge mistake. Sending him down would be enough not to have a manager fired but to have him committed to a mental institution. Jimerson is without a doubt lost in the Astros numbers game. He is a UM guy and would be very happy playing for the Marlins
Last I heard, Pence ain't making the club. As for CJ, he hasn't even been better than Reggie in the minors. He would be very happy for any team at this point.

Top Bottom