What's new

Kevin Brown

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ok, I know this doesn't have anything to do with anything, but I was looking over Brown's numbers just now, and am I crazy for thinking he's a borderline hall of famer? I mean, he put up some absolutely awesome numbers in his peak years, and he retired during a hitter's era with an ERA of 3.28 (ERA+ of 127; to compare, Maddux has a career ERA+ of 136). I mean, 211 wins isn't exactly incredible it's not bad, and there are pitchers in the hall with less.

I suppose this is a pointless thread, but I'm just wondering if I'm crazy or not. I guess he's kind of the definition of borderline, but he'll never get in.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
He did have a good career. From '96-'01 you couldn't get much of a better pitcher.

If he had 1 or 2 Cy's he'd be in much better position, but without them he won't make it.

B-R has him below the HOF standards and the HOF monitor as well.

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
B-R has him below the HOF standards and the HOF monitor as well.
Agreed. He's one of those really good players who just didn't put up the career numbers. I keep going back to Donnie Baseball as the standard for these types of guys. If only he had one more great season.... or if only he had x more in y category... or if only he had stayed healthy...

I guess that's why you have to tip your cap to guys who put up great numbers for season after season.

marlin2266

Muckdog
Reaction score
Like it or not, the way you conduct yourself really does have something to do with border-line HOFers.

Any journalist will tell you that KB was surly and generally uncooperative.

He won't get in.

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
Like it or not, the way you conduct yourself really does have something to do with border-line HOFers.

Any journalist will tell you that KB was surly and generally uncooperative.

He won't get in.
I still think he just misses with the numbers alone. I mean, he doesn't have a single number that makes him a sure fire HOF bet.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
The wins will keep him out of the hall. I think 250 would have done it

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
From his first year with us until about his 3rd year with the Dodgers, you'd be hard up to find a better pitcher in the NL.

What I think keeps him out of the hall is that he ended his career so badly in a huge market (and remember, this is also a quasi-popularity contest, the HOF voters aren't by and large right all the time, as Dawson and Rice prove), and that he never had the defining moment like some of the other pitchers still playing who are headed for the Hall have had.

I know this may sound controversial (hey, that's what I'm good for) but I think if you Pepsi challenge Brown and Schilling's careers through age 40 you probably take Brown ahead of Schilling, yet Schilling is a fringe hall of famer at 40 and Brown is down and out...why, because Schilling shined in the post-season and Brown disappeared, first the "stomach virus" with us in '97, then the same bug in '98 with the Pads and then the Yankees debacle in '04.

It's a shame because he was always one of my favorites, but I just don't see him getting into the hall. Best slider I have ever seen though, ever.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hell, I think calling G38 a fringe HOFer is generous. You may be right that that is the perception of him but to me he needs to win 30-40 more games with his lack of Cy's to really even be a legitimate candidate.

I love Schill, but as it stands right now and for how much I value the Hall and its meaning, I don't want him to get in.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hell, I think calling G38 a fringe HOFer is generous. You may be right that that is the perception of him but to me he needs to win 30-40 more games with his lack of Cy's to really even be a legitimate candidate.

I love Schill, but as it stands right now and for how much I value the Hall and its meaning, I don't want him to get in.

Agreed on all counts, but when the weasel Tim Kurkjan (or however it's spelled) gets a Hall vote and goes on BBTN and says "I told Schill, you know you're a fringe Hall of Famer" I just bristle.

I'm not saying I'm down with it, just that it's the prevalent feeling in the baseball community, and among the people that get votes.

Top Bottom