What's new

Langerhans traded again

isd71

Muckdog
Reaction score
Athletics acquired outfielder Ryan Langerhans from the Braves for a player to be named or cash considerations.
It's odd that the Braves would just give up their primary left fielder for nothing, even if Langerhans was hitting .068 in 44 at-bats. The A's get themselves a fine fourth outfielder capable of playing an above average center field. It's not going to make a lot of sense to use him regularly if Nick Swisher can return this week, but he is decent insurance.

courtesy Rotoworld

Wow the Braves gave up on him after one month and got basically nothing in return. For the A's its a no lose situation that got tons of outfield injuries and if he bombs they didn't trade anything for him anyway.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd say something negative but then I remembered who Atlanta's GM is.

Flamarlins3

Muckdog
Reaction score
bizarre trade for the Braves...why do this unless there was a clubhouse issue?

Do they have someone in the minors they wanted to make space for on the MLB roster?

Good value trade for the A's

poptart

Muckdog
Reaction score
great, now we see Matt Diaz every day...
he's going to have to get traded a lot for that to happen

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
I get the feeling Reggie Sanders will be back in Atlanta

SongInTheAir

Jumbo Shrimp
Writer
Reaction score
langerhans was traded again today...
to the nationals for chris snelling.

I guess Fredi can sleep easy now knowing his big bat is no longer in the league.
langerhans was traded again today...
to the nationals for chris snelling.

You spoke too soon penguino.

furcalchick

Muckdog
Reaction score
great, now we see Matt Diaz every day...

you'll see a bunch of willie harris though...

reason we got rid of langerhans is because of his terrible batting average, most fans wanted him to go...but traded twice in just a couple of days...that's new.

strandedx02

Muckdog
Reaction score
After the way he misplayed that ball in center tonight, I'm surprised the Nats still wanted him.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
After the way he misplayed that ball in center tonight, I'm surprised the Nats still wanted him.
I was about to say.

As bad as he has been at the plate, he was equally atrocious in the field both today and yesterday when I saw him.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
BOSTON -- Acquired in a trade with the Braves on Monday, Ryan Langerhans unpacked his bags at Fenway Park on Tuesday and introduced himself to his new teammates.

After going 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and making an error in center field during Oakland's two-game split with the Red Sox, Langerhans packed his bags and said goodbye.

After a 6-4 loss to Boston on Wednesday, the A's sent Langerhans to the Washington Nationals in exchange for fellow outfielder Chris Snelling.

"You've just gotta laugh," Langerhans said. "I've never seen anything like it."

Then, with a resigned smile, he added, "I've enjoyed my time here."

That time was cut short when the A's got an opportunity to snag Snelling, a former Mariners prospect whom Oakland general Billy Beane has been after for some time. A's assistant GM David Forst said that the Nationals have been similarly enamored with Langerhans, but that the Braves were reluctant to trade him to a National League East foe.

"The first call we got [after trading for Langerhans] was from Washington," Forst said.

Snelling, 25, was batting .204 with a home run and seven RBIs in 24 games with Washington. He made 20 appearances in left field, including 10 starts, and hit .263 over his first 12 games before going 3-for 23 (.130) over his last 12 games.

"It was an opportunity to get a player who, when he's healthy, is an offensive threat," Forst said.

Snelling was originally signed as a non-drafted free agent by the Seattle organization in 1999 and made his Major League debut with the Mariners in 2002. He also spent parts of the 2005 and 2006 seasons with Seattle and saw the most playing time there last year, when he batted .250 with three home runs and eight RBIs in 36 games. Snelling was traded to Washington in December 2006, along with Emiliano Fruto, in exchange for Jose Vidro.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Top Bottom