What's new

Let's cut Uggla a break

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Definitely not time to panic, imo, in regards to Uggla. The rest of the bats are hitting well.. so hopefully he can find his groove here in the mean time.

Remember, he had a lower OPS at this time last season than he does now.

I think he'll be fine.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
No one is in panic mode

many expected this

Juanky

Yeah, I'm not surprised. It doesn't hurt right now because the offense is doing well, but I think he should be moved down in the order to get his head together so he can be on the up when the other guys in the lineup start slumping.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think this is basically Uggla (of course cant be sure)...good power numbers, weak batting average, weak base numbers, lot of strikeouts, average defense, and decent speed. It's not really worth piling on him and saying he's terrible though because (1) we have no other options and (2) he's earned at least this entire season to work things out

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not panicking, and I believe he is better than what he is playing at the moment.

Reaction score
If someone else (Hermida?) can take over the no. 2 spot in the order, it's not terrible to have a second baseman who can hit for power (but limited pretty much only to that), as long as he's a little lower in the batting order. If he is a consistent 20-25 hr threat there's no shame in putting him 7th or 8th, but his on-base #'s are killing us at the top of the order.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't think one could call calling for him to be moved to the 6 hole sooner than later panicing, I mean, it's not like anyone's advocating benching him.

UCFMarlinFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
why tweak an offense that is tops in the majors in numerous categories?

i still can't believe were second in homeruns. :cool

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think this is basically Uggla (of course cant be sure)...good power numbers, weak batting average, weak base numbers, lot of strikeouts, average defense, and decent speed. It's not really worth piling on him and saying he's terrible though because (1) we have no other options and (2) he's earned at least this entire season to work things out
Points 1 and 2 are good ones, but neither demands that he stay in the two spot.

I'd like him batting 5th or 6th.
ok, Ill change number (2) to say he has at least another month to work out things in the 2-hole...maybe not my preference, but this isnt a video game where you can yank players all around....especially if they put up very good numbers last season. Neither Willingham, Borchard, or Ross are going to be 2-hole hitters. The latter 2 strike out way too much with each having serious difficulty against one hand of pitcher. Hammer hits cleanup against LHP and he's a good choice to hit 5th against RHP....he's not a bad idea there, but I think Hermida is the absolute best choice there. Breaks up the lefties nicely, puts 2 of our best OBP/speed combinations (hanley proven...Hermida potentially) in front of our 3 best power hitters.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's also not a video game in that rookie years do not dictate future performances. Even when he was going on a tear it was still very conceiveable that he would cool down.

And again, I think that Hermida has the potential to hit second or maybe leadoff.

Willingham might not fit perfectly into that role, but until Hermida comes back I think he helps the team more there than Uggla does.
where did I say that? point is, whether or not we like it, uggla's overall performance last season has earned him more than 100AB in the 2-hole...maybe not to your or I...but to the large majority of baseball people.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
Uggla's OPS is not that bad for a 2B and he'll be given the whole year because of what he did last year and because there's no one better to repalce him.

Hermida could potentially be a very good leadoff hitter with the way he works the count. Imagine the RBI opportunities for Miguel if things click for Hermida and Hermida hitting leadoff Hanley hitting 2nd.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I expected worse than what Uggla is doing. But we still have plenty of Year Two to go.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
If you go look at the last two homers @ flamarlins.com for Uggla you get to see the results of him quieting his bat, keeping it still and upright. Compare that to what we saw the last few days and you'll see where the problems is, the bat cock where he drops it over his right shoulder then upright leaves him unable to get set. When he relaxes and just keeps the bat upright good things happen.

He's learning to hit all over again and the results are predictable. I think it speaks well of him he's even attempting this.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's been one fricken month!!!

If Uggla is still having these issues in mid-June let's talk again.

Jeezuz. The negativity on this board is mind-numbing.

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
On one hand, Uggla tends to chase third strike in the dirt and one might expect better plate patience and contact in the 2 hole. The other hand, I think Uggla can get better pitches with Cabs behind him in the line-up...I do agree at some point that Uggla should move down in the order if someone steps up and proves to be an excellent contact hitter. We may not see that until next year; depends on who the team acquires - depends on the stadium announcement.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score

Look at everything he's done since the All Star break and tell me it's only been one month.
it's not that simple...

ok April
great May
ungodly June
ok july
good august
miserable september
2-3 HR in october

his pre-ASB numbers are certinaly better, but he still hit like an average 2B post-ASB

Reaction score

I agree with ya there. Besides, there are far more important things to worry about than Uggla. He'll find his groove, or he won't, but it's too early to be going nuts over it.

Alex22

Muckdog
Reaction score
The problem isn't Uggla so much as it is his mechanics. Give him time to get his swing right, because when he does he will go on a tear. I he doesn't find it in a month or two....then we have issues.

Top Bottom