What's new

Lets let Rod have a chance

Reaction score
Rod Stratton , to me is the next best thing in the marlins system. hes hitting .250 with a league leading 26 home runs . the marlins bench lacks power. and with 101 strike outs he can not be a starter right alway, not intill they help him with a few things.He as allsow only had 2 errors the whole season. so what you say , send down Mike(useless) Mordecai who has only 9 hits in 40 at bats . LETS GIVE THE FANS WAT THEY WANT

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
you mean ROB?
Robert Stratton would still be behind TH and Banks....

let him get his hacks in AAA, no point him sitting his butt on the bench up in the show

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
I dont want Stratton up yet he's not ready if he strikes out so much in the minors imagine in the majors he's not ready.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Mike Mordecai's veteranship and knowledge, plus ability to play just about anywhere make him a gaurenteed roster spot...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Todd Hollandsworth is a worthless player .we might trade him 4 a all right pitcher
if he is worthless, how can we get a decent pitcher?

Arnie1941

Muckdog
Reaction score
Rod Stratton , to me is the next best thing in the marlins system. hes hitting .250 with a league leading 26 home runs . the marlins bench lacks power. and with 101 strike outs he can not be a starter right alway, not intill they help him with a few things.He as allsow only had 2 errors the whole season. so what you say , send down Mike(useless) Mordecai who has only 9 hits in 40 at bats . LETS GIVE THE FANS WAT THEY WANT
Robert Stratton, Isotopes AAA Pacific League, is an incredible,and incredibly wasted talent. 26 HR, 58 RBI, hitting 252 (226 ABs) and Slugging 637. If I had control of a talent like that I would hire a private hitting instructor to help him learn the strike zone (and patience). At this point he'd make Preston Wilson look like Ted Williams. He hits the ball and it's a homerun. The other 200 times he strikes out (gets booed by the fans, loses confidence, starts trying too hard and gets worse.) Ifthe Marlins don't have enough sense to help him now, some other team will. God, we are stupid and short-sighted.

Reaction score
good point arnie .they need to consintrate on what they have now and help him . the point is we need a power hitter off the bench,(other then castrol's so-so power

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ifthe Marlins don't have enough sense to help him now, some other team will. God, we are stupid and short-sighted.
Umm, it's seems as if that is exactly what we are doing. Stratton could have been picked up by any team as he was a free agent. The marlins took a chance and are hoping to catch lightening in a bottle.

Wasn't it your Mets who gave up on Stratton?

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
7 - Robert Stratton
Outfielder
Born: Santa Barbara, CA, 10/7/77

Hometown: Santa Barbara, CA

Height: 6-2 Weight: 250

Bats: Right Throws: Right

How Obtained: Signed as a free agent on December 12, 2002.

2002 Highlights: split the season between Triple-A affiliates Norfolk (Mets) and Colorado Springs (Rockies)... combined to play 96 games and hit .238 with 27 home runs and 60 RBI.

Minor League Highlights: played the majority of the 2001 season at Double-A Binghamton in the Eastern League... hit .248 with 30 doubles, one triple, 29 home runs and 83 RBI in 133 games with the Double-A Mets... finished fourth in the EL in home runs, fifth in extra-base hits (60) and seventh in RBI... promoted to Triple A Norfolk on September 2 and played for the Norfolk Tides in the IL playoffs... had a double and a two-run homer in four postseason contests... hit .228 with 18 doubles, four triples, 29 homers and a career-high 87 RBI in 108 games for Single-A St. Lucie in 2000... led the Florida State League in home runs, was fifth in RBI, fifth in extra-base hits (51) and fifth in slugging percentage (.525)... led the FSL with 180 strikeouts...also led the FSL in at-bats per home run (13.14)... named to the Florida State League All-Star Team... began his pro career with the Gulf Coast League Mets in 1996, hitting .254 with two homers in 17 games.

Personal: Robert Vaughn Stratton graduated from San Marcos (CA) High School, where he batted .512 with a .976 slugging percentage as a senior... was an all conference middle linebacker all four years at San Marcos... signed a letter of intent to play baseball at the University of Miami before he signed with the Mets.

Arnie1941

Muckdog
Reaction score
oh and yes Mike does play every position but we have Banks to do that allready
Right. Mike Mordecai can play any position. Wrong; can you imagine Banks playing second or shortstop?

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
So he's always had power but never being able to hit. Maybe if called up he'll be the next Dunn. But not this year next year when TH leaves he could be called up and so could Sanders since we'll have two cathers. Is likely Pudge wont come back unless he signs with Texas or someone offers him a good deal unlikely. If he does then I'm sorry to say "Good bye Red".

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
25 years old? That's it?

He might tear it up next year... IF he gets the call...

But I'm sure we'll see him in September...

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah thats why he has to be called up soon I thought he was younger. But your right we will probably see him and sanders come sept.

Hanleylicious

Muckdog
Reaction score
All Sratton needs is some time in AAA to establish the strike zone better and be better with his pitch selection...if he does that i think he'll have a chance to see the Big Show

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Robert Stratton, Isotopes AAA Pacific League, is an incredible,and incredibly wasted talent. 26 HR, 58 RBI, hitting 252 (226 ABs) and Slugging 637. If I had control of a talent like that I would hire a private hitting instructor to help him learn the strike zone (and patience). At this point he'd make Preston Wilson look like Ted Williams. He hits the ball and it's a homerun. The other 200 times he strikes out (gets booed by the fans, loses confidence, starts trying too hard and gets worse.) Ifthe Marlins don't have enough sense to help him now, some other team will. God, we are stupid and short-sighted.Hey Arnie, next time you rewrite one of my posts how about some attribution, huh?

My post @ 9:09am this morning:
"You forgot the ONE other important factor - he's already struck 100 TIMES this season!
I've been following him since spring training, I've been a closet Robert Stratton admirer but its all or nothing with him. In fact I was planning to wait until he hit 30 hrs before posting here but you beat me to the punch.
I keep thinking the Marlins ought to hire him a hitting coach and see if they can do something about his inability to define a proper strike zone. This guy is going to hit 50+ hrs this season, but also he'll probably strike out 200 times (ala Preston Wilson)."

If you actually followed the guy you would know he -

A. Is not lacking in self-confidence
B. He is the biggest fan favorite the Isotopes have. The fans in Albuquerque love this guy. He can walk on water as far as they are concerned.
C. Mentioning Ted Williams and Preston Wilson in the same sentence is blaspemy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom