What's new

Let's talk some college football

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't have to work until late tomorrow and I'm a little wired after watching that GS/Dallas game along with the shield.

So lets hear it.. answer these questions in regards to your team.. and as the fan knows, I a hawkeye fan.

Gimme your team:

1. A couple sentences summarizing last year.

2. Introduce me to your QB, RB and top WR.

3. Why will this be a successful year?

4. Why could this be an unsuccessful year?

5. Player to watch

Iowa Hawkeyes (6-7, 2-6)

1. The most disappointing season in any major sport of my lifetime. Hawkeyes had high hopes and ultimately tanked on a team that gave up on a QB who wore thin on his teammates... capped off by a tough loss to Texas in the Alamo.

QB Jake Christensen, Soph. He can gun it.. the 2nd ranked dual threat QB a few years ago coming out of HS. A change is welcomed and I have high hopes for the southpaw.

RB Albert Young, Senior. Injury-plagued junior year following a sophomore year in which he lead the Big Ten in rushing. I'm not allowed to predict big things out of anyone with fear of being roasted (lol) but I expect a nice bounce back year for him, putting it lightly.

WR Dommick Douglas, Soph. Douglas lead the country in receptions by a frosh. Pairing with junior Andy Brodell, who broke out late in the season, especially vs. Texas, will give Christensen very good targets. To go along with a stable of other young WRs, the Hawks have the most talent/athleticism at WR they've had in the Ferentz era.

3. We don't play Michigan or Ohio State this year, which always opens a door for a good year. The telling games will be early games @ PSU and @ Wisconsin. A successful year means going in one of those places and getting a W. If we can do that, the schedule is very favorable down the stretch.

4. If we dont get positive play from our new safeties, we'll be in trouble. Also, our new QB isn't tested yet. I have a lot of faith in him, but you never know. I hope they just hand him the reigns and let him go to town with his receivers and TE. DLine HAS to play up to potential or we are in big trouble.

5. Tony Moeaki, TE

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
My team: Florida State (obviously).

1. A couple sentences summarizing last year: Mediocre, plain and simple. Defense was good, offense was poor (shades of Miami Dolphins). Highlight was beating UM again in the opener.

2. Quarterback is probably still Drew Weatherford. Wide receivers are guys like De'Cody Fagg and Greg Carr. No idea who's left at RB.

3. Why will this be a successful year?: Addition of new coordinators will hopefully revitalize our poor offense. The defense got worn out again last season.

4. Why could this be an unsuccessful year?: A lot of questions, especially on offense, which has been a problem for several years now.

5. Players to watch: S Myron Rolle and TE Brandon Warren.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Florida:

1. It's great to be a Florida Gator.

2. QB is Sir Timothy Tebow. Starting RB has emerged yet really. Meyer named Keystahn Moore the starter, but I don't see Moore doing the job all that way. More than likely, freshman Bo Willians, Chris Rainey will get plenty of carries along with Brandon James.
The WR's are delicous. Senior Andre Caldwell, and top recruit in all the nation from a year ago, Percy Harvin. Cornelius Ingran will be playing some TE along with the top TE recruit from this year, Aaron Hernandez.

3. This will be a successful year because Urban Meyer is still coach and this time he gets to use his sexy spread offense under Tim Tebow. The offensive line is still anchored by last year's starters. The defense is full of unproven but still very talented players.

4. Florida could be unsuccessful due to the amount of unproven players taking the field for us this year. That could easily happen considering the fact we lost 10 starters on defense.

5. Players to watch: WR Percy Harvin, DE Derrick Harvey, QB Tim Tebow :rolleyes:

BobbyBowden

Muckdog
Reaction score
My team: Florida State (obviously).

1. A couple sentences summarizing last year: Mediocre, plain and simple. Defense was good, offense was poor (shades of Miami Dolphins). Highlight was beating UM again in the opener.

2. Quarterback is probably still Drew Weatherford. Wide receivers are guys like De'Cody Fagg and Greg Carr. No idea who's left at RB.

3. Why will this be a successful year?: Addition of new coordinators will hopefully revitalize our poor offense. The defense got worn out again last season.

4. Why could this be an unsuccessful year?: A lot of questions, especially on offense, which has been a problem for several years now.

5. Players to watch: S Myron Rolle and TE Brandon Warren.

Um...well Brandon Warren is no longer on the team FutureGM.

BobbyBowden

Muckdog
Reaction score
Alright, who better than Bobby Bowden himself to tell you about Florida State.

1. Last year was embarrasing. The straw that broke the camel's back was being shutout by Wake Forest at home. The whole offensive staff needed to be changed and it has. We brought in on of the best offensive coordinators in the country in Jimbo Fisher and one of the best O-Line coaches in Rick Trickett. Defense is always sound under Mickey Andrews and will continue to be next year.

2. QB is still a battle between Weatherford and Lee. As much as the fans would like to see Lee, the job will likely go to Watherford. At RB we have Antoine Smith, who was the #1 RB in the country as a senior, but has been playing behind Leon Washington and Lorenzo Booker in his first two years. He'll carry the load for most of the year and he'll do an excellent job. I guess our top WR would be Greg Carr, only because he's 6"6 and all we do is throw the jump ball to him.

3. We have a brutal schedule this year, so as much as I'm excited about the new staff and revamped offense, I think the best we'll finish is 10-3.

4. Kids adjusting to the new offense could hurt us. Also we've had the injury bug on defense the bast couple of years, so hopefully that trend will break this season.

5. Players to watch: RB Antone Smith, LB Marcus Ball, S Myron Rolle.

Mets_bs

Muckdog
Reaction score
PENN STATE

1. The team from 2005/2006 lost 2 of it's captains (Alan Zemaitis and Michael Robinson) and the entire secondary. Honestly, a lack of experience and discipline on the field plagued the team. On Offense, Morelli made some horrible decisions but got better as the season wore on and performed admirably against Michigan and Ohio State.

2. QB - Anthony Morelli: Million Dollar Arm, Ten Cent Head. But he's getting better, they really dumbed down the O for him and he has a lot of talented targets.
WR - Derrick Williams/Deon Butler: Perfect combo, Williams is the deep threat, Butler is the possession reciever. I honestly believe they could prove to be the best receiver combo in college football in the next 2 years.
RB: Austin Scott: he was great in Orange Bowl against Florida State, actually many expected him to better than Tony Huny when he was recruited, but we;ll see.

3. Offense. If Morelli can grasp the O, this will be a dangerous pass offense.

4. Defense. They lost 2/3rds of their linebackers, secondary has to step up.

5. TE Andrew Quarless

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
1. Indiana Hoosiers (5-7, 3-5) Last season was the first time in awhile that we should have went bowling. Our head coach Terry Hoeppner missed 2 games because of brain surgery. We lost to UConn and Southern Illinois while he was out. We did have a big upset of then #15 Iowa at home and there was legitimate talk of Indiana having a football program again.

2. QB- Kellen Lewis- After Blake Power went down in game 1, Kellen Lewis came off the bench and never looked back. He's a stud. Schools wanted him to play safety but he wanted to play QB, and IU was one of the few teams who were interested in that. Last season, in 11 games, he threw for 2221 yards on 54% accuracy, a 14-7 TD-INT ratio and a 118.14 QB rating. Lewis was also our leading rusher with 441 yards on the ground. He is only going to get better.

RB- Marcus Thigpen - A converted WR, he can flat out fly but his is kind of small at just 5'9, 180. I don't know enough about our recruiting class this year if we have a RB to challenge him for PT, but I think he will be the number 1 guy coming into the season. Demtrius McCray could be a guy to step in if Thigpen goes back to kickoff/punt return duties where he was one of the best in the nation last season.

WR- James Hardy - One of the most talented WR in the conference, the 6'7 junior had a very good 2nd season for the Hoosiers. The former basketball player, who missed 2 games, caught 51 passes for 722 yards and scored 10 touchdowns. Having a size advantage over all cornerbacks, he is an awesome redzone presence as well.

3. 2007 can be a successful year if they make a bowl game. They haven't since 1993, and haven't won since 1991. This is with Trent Green and Antwaan Randle El as their QBs. The Hoosiers do not play Ohio State or Michigan this season, so that should help too. Maybe it's too early of me to think Rose Bowl, but the schedule is in their favor for a crazy Northwestern run to happen.

4. The answer is Terry Hoeppner's healthy. The IU coach had another brain surgery and has been ordered not to be in Spring camp at all. He should rejoin the team a little before the season starts. If he is healthy, the sky is the limit with this team because they are buying into what he is trying to do. If, knock on wood, he has a setback, the team could be absolutely terrible.

5. James Hardy - WR - He has aspirations of going pro. He needs to have a huge year for himself and for the team.

BeefWillingham

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thank you for fixing the previous FSU post, Bowden and espectially for throwing in Antone Smith. Cant imagine being in Tallahassee and not knowing who the RB is.

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
Since somebody already profiled my team, The Gators, I'll do my 2nd favorite team right now: The Illinois fighting Illini(I really like Ron Zook).

1. Last year was a disappointment, because we only won 2 games last year, but showed improvement in a lot of areas. The talent level was a ton higher on the 1st string, the problem was we had zero depth. We played just about every team tough in the first half, but then would lose it in the second.

2. QB- Juice Williams. Highly ranked true Sophomore from Chicago who throws a bullet of a pass and can take off and run at any time. His problem in his freshman year was dropped passes by his WR because he throws the ball so damn hard, he needs to learn to put touch on the ball. Illinois expects big things from him this year.

WR- Arrelious Benn. One of the highest recruited WRs from last year, and probably the most important recruit ever to Illinois. Shocked everyone when he chose the Illini over Notre Dame and state team Maryland. During the Spring game he was unbelievable, with something like 8 catches for 175 yards. The hype machine is in full swing, and I fully expect him to the # 1 WR as a true freshman this year.

RB- Rashard Mendenhall. Another highly recruited sophomore who was sensational last year. Ran for 640 yards and averaged 8.4 YPC. The problem will be can he handle the full work load and fumbles. We don't have much depth at RB, as we are going to be relying on two true freshman and Juco transfer as backups.

3. This will be a successful year if they make a bowl game. The talent level is there,the just need to stay healthy and Juice needs to have the typical improvement a QB has from year 1 to year 2.

4. The season will be unsuccessful because the schedule is very tough and they still are very young.

5. Player to watch: CB Vontae Davis who could be an All American one day. The guy is a true lock down corner and should be a round 1 pick one day. Freshman All American last year.

TarHeel324

Muckdog
Reaction score
Time to profile the football powerhouse that is The University of North Carolina Tar Heels:

1. A couple sentences summarizing last year. - Carolina really got off on a bad foot after falling a few boneheaded plays short of beating Rutgers. After that, they blew some early chances vs. VPI, only beat D2 Furman by 3, and lost the next 7. After losing to UVA 23-0 and going to 1-6, John Bunting was fired, and from that point on the team showed some signs of life for the first time all year. In the next 3 games they lost by 7 to Wake, by 19 to Notre Dame in a game where Hakeem Nicks went off, and 7-0 to GT. The high point came in a 23-9 victory over State, the third win over State in a row, which im pretty sure makes up for everything else in the mind of most Carolina fans.

2. QB - As of now, its Redshirt Freshman TJ Yates. Hes come out of nowhere this spring to take the #1 spot on the depth chart from Cam Sexton and played very well in the spring game. However, both of those guys are just keeping the seat warm for Mike Paulus next year. He'll have his shot during the summer to prove he can start as a true freshman, but odds are Yates will get the nod with Paulus competing for the job in 2008.

RB - With the loss of "Mr. 1st Quarter" Ronnie McGill and backup Barrington Edwards, sophomore Richie Rich looks like the leader of the very inexperienced rushing attack (The leading returning rusher, FB Bobby Rome, had all of 11 yards last year).

WR- Soph. Hakeem Nicks will step into the role of #1 WR this year after a breakout freshman season. The WR core, unlike the rest of the offense, has plenty of game experience and will be an asset to whichever inexperienced QB takes the reigns. 2 intriguing guys at this spot are Brandon Tate and former QB Joe Dailey. Tate is an All-ACC return guy who needs to stretch the field after struggling to do so for the last 2 years. Dailey moves to WR after an unsuccesful career as QB of Nebraska and Carolina.

3. Why will this be a successful year? - Because Butch Davis is putting his system in place, and all the freshman and sophomores mentioned above will get a year of experience under their belts. Also, as long as they beat State for the 4th time in a row, and Duke for the 17th time out of 18, Carolina fans will be satisfied enough going into basketball season.

4. Why could this be an unsuccessful year? - All that inexperience and playing in an overall improved conference could see Carolina take a step back from last year's 3-9 campaign. Odds are, it'll be business as usual here: The fans will start hyping the team up, they'll struggle, the fans will stop caring, theyll beat Duke, and everyone just moves on to basketball season. Hopefully Butch starts changing the culture here a few years down the road, but things will stay the same this year.

5. Player to watch - DT Marvin Austin, top-ranked freshman DL who chose Carolina over FSU.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
Nice Thread.

Northern Illinois Huskies
1. Even though we went to a bowl game last year, it was very dissapointing. A team in August that was expected to win the MAC, never really recovered from it's opening conference loss to Ohio. Garrett Wolfe started the year on fire, and ran for 353 yards vs. Ball State. However, injuries and the lack off a passing game slowed him down toward then end of the year. Finished 7-6/

2. QB: Dan Nicholson (Junior QB who has already started a MAC Championship Game and a Bowl game).
RB: Montell Clanton/Justin Anderson (With Garrett Wolfe leaving, those are the 2 favorites to win the job. Clanton is a small speed back, while Anderson is bigger, but still has good speed.
WR: Britt Davis (Junior WR who set the record for most catches by a freshman and sophmore. He's a beast.

3. We return a really solid defense. Look out for the great trio of LBs Phil Brown, Tim McCarthy, and Cory Hanson. I expect our offense to be solid, but could struggle early on with the loses of Wolfe and Free.

4. As I just said, we lose our 2 best players Garrett Wolfe and Doug Free. Those 2 will be tough to replace.

5. WR Britt Davis.

We open the year vs. Iowa @ Soldier Field.

JJ24

Muckdog
Reaction score
UCF Knights

1. Tough season last year at 4-8 expectations were really high because of our Hawaii bowl berth the year before. A couple of Blow outs and a couple close losses but we're moving in the right direction with George Oleary

2. Qb-- Kyle Isreal has a lot to prove as a first year senior starting qb hes a very accurate passer
HB-- Kevin Smith one of the best C-USA backs average over 100 yards per game but was hampered by injuries but he should see the rock a lot more this year.
WR-- Rocky Ross has huge shoes to fill with Mike Walker being selected in the third round to the jags Ross only 36 receptions last year and hes expected to be the man

3. This year has its chances to be great we play a lot of quality teams that can get our name put on the map. With the C-USA champion getting a BCS bowl birth anything can happen and gives us a shot to shock the world and get our name out there. Our brand new stadium is opening this year along with more athletic facilities this will be the first year that UCF truly plays a home game.

4. This year could and I think it will be very tough. UCF starts the season off against NC State and then returns home for its stadium home opener vs Texas. I think with these two tough games we may come out of the gate very slow and it may be hard for us to get going.

5. Player to watch
Kevin Smith RB this guy is a stud and should be able to carry the load. he rushed for 120+ in 4 out of the 9 games he played in

Maxx

Chief Operating Officer
Reaction score
PENN STATE

1. The team from 2005/2006 lost 2 of it's captains (Alan Zemaitis and Michael Robinson) and the entire secondary. Honestly, a lack of experience and discipline on the field plagued the team. On Offense, Morelli made some horrible decisions but got better as the season wore on and performed admirably against Michigan and Ohio State.

2. QB - Anthony Morelli: Million Dollar Arm, Ten Cent Head. But he's getting better, they really dumbed down the O for him and he has a lot of talented targets.
WR - Derrick Williams/Deon Butler: Perfect combo, Williams is the deep threat, Butler is the possession reciever. I honestly believe they could prove to be the best receiver combo in college football in the next 2 years.
RB: Austin Scott: he was great in Orange Bowl against Florida State, actually many expected him to better than Tony Huny when he was recruited, but we;ll see.

3. Offense. If Morelli can grasp the O, this will be a dangerous pass offense.

4. Defense. They lost 2/3rds of their linebackers, secondary has to step up.

5. TE Andrew Quarless

Can't wait to play you guys to open the season. I don't care what the score is, this sure as hell beats playing Gardner Webb.

FishFanInPA

Michigan Wolverines

1. Disappointing as usual. Lloyd Carr cannot coach the big ones and once again they got pwned by OSU and then USC.

2. Chad Henne's back and i'm sure he'll throw a key pick or two against a big opponent. Mike Hart's an underrated stud for the team but it'll be the depth with Grady and Minor that helps them out. Mario Manningham completes the triumverate on offense at WR and hopefully he'll stay healthy all season long.

3. The schedule is in their favor with all of their tough games being at home in front of the Big house. Notre Dame, Penn State and Ohio State all will be a lot different from last season. Just wait till Clausen gets in front of the 100k strong...we'll crush the irish.

4. Lloyd Carr is still there.

5. Watch out for Brandon Minor....saw the kid in high school and he ran very well. I think his change of pace work is going to help offset Hart and hopefully keep him fresh.

Temple Owls
1. The Owls had a tough season which began with a loss to Buffalo 9-3. It was Al Golden's first season at the helm and the team was the youngest in Div I-A.

2. QB is a wide range of options.....they have Vaughn Charlton, Adam DiMichele and a couple of froshs that they recruited. Charlton has the most potential.
RB will be Justin Harper or Marcellous Grigsby who was the top JUCO player out there this recruiting season.
WR will be a strength on this team. Travis Shelton is a blur....just ask Junior as he lit up NIU to the tune of 204 yards.

3. It can't get much worse then last year plus their recruiting class was widely considered the best in the MAC for the 2nd straight year. There are winnable home games and I'm seeing 4 wins....

4. Their Temple and losing is contagious. If they can make plays early then maybe the season won't be a complete wash.

5. Kee-Ayre Griffin was recruited by West Virginia but Temple stole him away. He's going to be a slash type and may even play defense at CB. He's got sub 4.4 40 speed and if used wisely will be a stud.

MikeLowell

Muckdog
Reaction score
University of New Mexico Lobos

1. We started the 2006 season off horrible last year. We lost at home to Portland State 17-6 in our first game. Then our Senior QB Kole McKamey went down with an injury in the 2nd game of the season and was lost for the rest of the year. We then went 4-2 down the stretch to clinch a Bowl Bid. We lost in the first ever New Mexico Bowl 20-12 against San Jose State.

QB Donovan Porterie, SO
Played in 8 games and started 5 as a Redshirt Freshman last year. He threw for 967 yards to go along with 6 TDs and 2 INTs. He lead his team to a couple of come from behind victories. Everyone is expecting big things from him this year with some experience under his belt.

RB Rodney Ferguson, JR
Was one of the better RBs in the Nation last year. He averaged 4.9 YPC and has 1,234 rushing yards and 7 Rushing TDs He also had 28 receptions for 291 recieving yards and 2 TDs. Keep in mind he did all of this as a Sophmore. He should be a candidate for the Heisman Trophy this year.

WR Travis Brown, SR
He had 64 receptions for 867 yards and 4 TDs as a Junior last year and was really a big surprise to everyone. He is a combonation of both great size and speed. He should put up even better numbers in his Senior campaign now that Porterie and him have had some playing time together.

3. We return most of our starters on both the offensive side of the ball and deffensive side of the ball.

4. We have a very young QB. If he struggles our team as a whole is gonna struggle. Also, we have another Offensive Cordinator that everyone is getting use to.

5. Marcus Smith. Our "#2" WR had 53 receptions for 859 yards and 9 TDs as a Junior last year. He is something to watch on the football field. The catches that he makes are incredible and he plays with a passion that is unbelieveable. You want to try and shutdown Travis Brown? Go right ahead because we can just throw the ball to Marcus Smith. What a great second option.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
That will be a fun weekend. The cubs are having Hawkeye day at Wrigley the friday before that.

As is well documented, I am a tSIU Saluki fan, and since I doubt anyone here cares about 1AA football...Ill pass on the BCS team I follow:

1. Played in the schools first BCS bowl, beating Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl. Went 12-1(6-1 Big East), winning the Big East for the first time.

2. QB-Brian Brohm(SR), RB-Anthony Allen(SO), WR-Harry Douglas(SR) and Mario Urrutia(JR)

3. Brian Brohm solidifies himself as one of the top QBs in the nation, Anthony Allen is ready to assume a full time role, and the defense is able to sustain the loss of several cogs over the last 3 years. Challenging early schedule(Utah, North Carolina State, Middle Tennessee State, and Kentucky) will help team be battle tested going into the later part of the Big East schedule. Senior TE Gary Barnidge continues to be productive and is a big target for Brohm.

4. Losing the top defensive player 2 years in a row(DE Elvis Dumervil in 06 and DT Amobi Okoye this year, as well as William Gay-who led the team in INT's), as well as RB's Michael Bush and Kolby Smith(who took over for Bush) and Eric Shelton in 2005, leaves big holes in the team.

5. Malik Jackson(6'2, 230)-Senior Linebacker. Had his best year last year as a junior(49 solo tackles, 9 sacks, 16 tackles for loss).

fauowls44

Muckdog
Reaction score
Florida Atlantic Owls

1. (5-7, 4-3). Last season started out with 4 straight blow outs at the hands of Clemson, K-State, Oklahoma State, and South Carolina. Things got better when Sun Belt play began and we challenged for the conference title most of the season. Finished the season well, beating FIU 31-0...sorry FIU fans, had to throw that in!

2. QB - Rusty Smith(SO), RB - Charles Pierre(JR), WR - Franz Simeon(JR)

3. We should challenge for the Sun Belt title and a trip to the NO Bowl. We only lost 3 starters from last season and our QB has gained a year of experience.

4. OOC schedule is once again the toughest in D-IA with games against Minnesota, USF, OK St., Kentucky, and UF.

5. Player to watch - Jr. LB Frantz Joesph(6-3, 235). Played last year after transferring from Boston College and really helped turn the defense into one of the best in the conference. He's a beast.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
That will be a fun weekend. The cubs are having Hawkeye day at Wrigley the friday before that.
Are you going?

Top Bottom