What's new

Letter to Samson

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
Waiting for a reply...

Dear Mr. Samson:

I am writing to voice my disgust over how the bullpen and the manager are costing the Marlins wins. It seems like every day, the bullpen comes in with the lead and gives it away. Let's look at recent games. I was at last Wednesday's game against the Phillies at the Vet. The Marlins had a great outing from Brad Penny and then Torborg turned it over to Tejera, Nunez, and Looper. These 3 almost gave the game away. They failed to throw first pitch strikes consistently. Nunez was horrible and Looper almost blew the save if it were not for Hollandsworth making a great catch to end the game with runners on base. Let's look at the Mets series this weekend: Nunez gives up a 3 run homer to a .188 hitter because he fell behind quickly in the count and raises his ERA to 12.96???. Today, Marlins have a lead against Glavine, Nunez comes in and the Marlins lose.

I have 4 recommendations for you:

1) Release Vladimir Nunez. He is pathetic. He falls behind in counts and then gets lit up when he has to throw a strike. I have seen other teams (i.e. Reds) release pitchers this week for failing miserably. This guy wanted to be a closer???

2) Re-tool the bullpen...Nunez is horrible, Neal, Tejera, and Looper are inconsistent with the strike zone,...Spooney is the only one I trust

3) Tell Arnsberg that his relievers need to throw first pitch strikes...So often this season, I see the bullpen come in and fall behind quickly 2-0 or 3-0 counts..No excuse for a major league pitcher to do this frequently...Just throw hard strikes right away...

4) Tell Torborg he needs to use his bullpen better...He keeps going to Nunez all the time and Nunez fails time and time again...He rarely uses Spooneybarger.,,Torborg also leaves his pitchers in way longer than he should...He pulls them out about 1 or 2 batters too late...And just F.Y.I. : a lot of Marlins fans at marlinsbaseball.com/forums (I encourage you to read the posts in there and see how other Marlins fans are saying the same thing I am telling you here) want Torborg fired if he continues to make bad decisions...I am now leaning towards wanting that course of action after watching this week's games...

on a side-note: Hollandsworth needs to stop upper-cutting with his swing...Only 1 rbi on a bases-loaded walk this year is dismal...He needs to level off his swing and put the ball in play more..

I think this team can succeed...If it weren't for the bullpen giving up 4-5 runs per game, this team would be over .500 right now....It is heartbreaking to watch this happen every day when a starter pitches his heart out on a great game and the relievers don't have close-out stuff...I hope action is taken soon to improve on this team...If this team gets fine-tuned now while still in the first month of the season, I think this team could pull an Anaheim and surprise a lot of people...

Thanks for your time...

1truefan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Good letter....

You support your points exttttttttttreeeeeeeemelyyyy well.

Let us know when he replies....

MasterChief

Muckdog
Reaction score
That's good the only thing to change is Nunez's ERA it's now 14.54. Other than that i would send it as fast as possible.

And let us know what he says

SlapHands69

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope Samson get this letter because Torborg needs to get his head straight.

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
What does Samson have to do with using the bullpen and how Hollandsworth should swing? Hes not the general manager, and hes certainly not a coach. The initiative to write to someone is good, but Samson is involved with operation of the business.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
If an Owner/President/GM needs to take advice from a fan then you know things are pathetic. Sampson knows what needs to be done.

Those reports of him wanting to fire Arnsberg during Spring Training and the expectations placed on Torborg to keep his job are a couple of indications.

Sampson & Loria knows this team must win now...if things don't turn around quickly I would not be surprised if Torborg is gone soon.

I know most Marlin fans are not big fans of Bobby Valentine...but the guy has won and I guarantee you he will have his players fired up and ready to play.

I'm not too excited about Davey Johnson...he's been away from the game for a while now...I think his time has past.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's certainly noble for you to express your feelings and frustrations. Just don't be discouraged if you don't receive a reply. Hopefully the frustrations of all Marlin fans will be taken into consideration. If you think we are frustrated can you imagine how Loria & Sampson feel? They're the one's who have invested their $$$ in the Marlins.

It's important for the fans to continue to support the team during the next homestand...and to voice their displeasure if and when Nunez and/or Hollandsworth continue their inept performances.

Let's hope Loria & Sampson make a move sooner as opposed to later. There is no reason for this team not to contend. If they wait until the Marlins are 8-10 games under .500 - they will be making a big mistake. It just might be too little too late.

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
I just got a mailer-daemon e-mail..apparently dsamson@flamarlins.com is not a valid address

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
his email may be...D.Samson@FlaMarlins.com

that's what i use to complain... :p

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
ramp is correct.....

and samson will give you come poltically correct stuff in response.

the problem....

no other executive has the testicles to list their address....i suggest writing a hand written letter to them.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
no other executive has the testicles to list their address....i suggest writing a hand written letter to them.
He might use it as toilet paper..

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
hand written letters to politicians usually have a good chance of getting a reply.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not my congressman, My dad get's The Automated responce.

I'm guessing somewhere you'll get Thank you for your Devotion to this team.

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why do we want Nu?ez to be released? Just because he has been pitching horrible the past few weeks? Every pitcher has the right to have his share of bad luck, bad pitching, off days, whatever you decide to call it. I know he is not a great pitcher, but he is a pretty decent middle reliever who can give you more then 2 innings of work and also start if there is the need. He is failing miserably at the moment, I agree, but it is not like the end of the world or anything. He would get his confidence back and turn it around, you'll see.

I would not use him in close situations like Torborg :banghead is doing right now. I would like Spooneybager to be used more frequently. I would also like Hollandsworthless to hit something for a change. I hate when they bring Almanza in, he either strikes out the side, or walks the bases loaded, or gives up 3 homeruns, there is no middle-ground with this guy. But I have faith in that Nu?es will turn it around. If we were to release people who are failing right now and are pitching horrible, would you then release Randy Johnson? I know it is a bad comparison, but it is only to be used for comparison so... don't kill me :whistle ... just yet

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why do we want Nu?ez to be released? Just because he has been pitching horrible the past few weeks? Every pitcher has the right to have his share of bad luck, bad pitching, off days, whatever you decide to call it. I know he is not a great pitcher, but he is a pretty decent middle reliever who can give you more then 2 innings of work and also start if there is the need. He is failing miserably at the moment, I agree, but it is not like the end of the world or anything. He would get his confidence back and turn it around, you'll see.
There was no reason to take Beckett out of the game and put Nu?ez (who btw I would send back to the sugar cane fields in Cuba just to remind him what he is "missing"),

This what you said about Nunez in another topic. which way is it? should he "be sent back to the sugar cane fields" or kept around?

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd like to know when was the last time Nunez was "decent?" Back in 2001?

I'd bring up Alvarez and send Nunez to AAA...

Top Bottom