What's new

Lil' Romeo commits to USC

wanks1212

Muckdog
Reaction score
Last year Tim Floyd made headlines when he signed O.J. Mayo, the top player in the nation. This time around the USC coach has a commitment from one of the top rappers in the country. This isn't a joke, either. Percy "Romeo" Miller is putting his career on hold for a while.

The 6-foot music star/actor and son of Master P was one of three players that committed to Floyd and the Trojans on Friday. Demar Derozan and Angelo Johnson, a pair of Scout.com's Top 100 players in the Class of 2008, joined Miller in giving a pledge to USCMiller averaged 13.9 points and 5.6 assists per game at Beverly Hills High as a junior this past season and more than held his own last summer at the ABCD Camp in New Jersey.

"He's got a lot to prove because of his name," said Derozan, who will join his best friend at USC after he finished his high school career at Compton Dominguez (Calif.) High. "He's no gimmick. He can play and is going to be one of the top point guards in the 2008 class."

Miller, 17, took the trip to USC on Friday along with his summer teammate, athletic wing Derozan, and the pair both told Floyd and his staff that they will be coming after they graduate.

"It's great for him," said Master P, who coaches his son and Derozan on the P. Miller Ballers in the spring and summer. "USC is a great school and I felt like he made a great decision."

The younger Miller will focus solely on school and basketball for the next few years, according to Master P.

"He can be polishing up his film career at USC," Master P said. "When he's finished after four years at 21 or 22 years old, he'll hopefully be able to take either basketball to the next level or Hollywood to the next level."

"This is what it's all about," he added. "I'm just glad he has the opportunity to do both."

The 6-foot-6, 215-pound Derozan is one of the best players on the west coast and ranks 46th nationally in Scout.com's rankings of the top junior players in the country.

"It's a good program, a building program and it's been a school I've loved for a while," Derozan said. "They've been interested in me for a while."

Floyd has also received a commitment from Johnson (Scout.com, No. 85), a 5-foot-11 Minnesota native who spent this past season at Stoneridge Prep (Calif.). According to sources, there's a chance that Johnson could become eligible to play next season.

Jeff Goodman is a senior college basketball writer for FOXSports.com. He can be reached at GoodmanonFOX@aol.com.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6681512

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
I can't believe he is actually getting a full ride.

Incredibly undersized and not even a 3-star player.

McFly

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's no Lil' Bow Wow...

...or Lil' Wayne

...or Lil' Kim

...or Lil' Scrappy

...or Lil' Zane

MrAndMrsFish

Mr. Minor League
Reaction score
that is a joke that he is getting any sort of scholarship

PhxPhin

Muckdog
Reaction score
tim floyd keeps at it - love package deal - talk is already coming out that romeo will end up as a walk-on when the dust settles

The Fan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Great idea by Floyd.

Assures he gets Romeo's best friend, who as the article mentioned, is a top 50 recruit next year.

Also, it doesn't hurt to have a player with this type of national recognition name wise for recruiting purposes. Additionally, Master P is EXTREMELY wealthy. Giving his son a scholarship is not the worst thing with the potential donations he might give to the USC athletic department.

While none of that may come true, the risk/reward is definitely worthwhile. Look at the buzz on this board alone.

Lefty

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie, I will go out of my way to watch a USC game if he's playing....just to see.

Marlins Phenom

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's no Lil' Bow Wow...

...or Lil' Wayne

...or Lil' Kim

...or Lil' Scrappy

...or Lil' Zane

...or Lil' Jon

...or Lil' Wyte

...or Lil' Boosie

...or Lil Flip

McFly

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's no Lil' Bow Wow...

...or Lil' Wayne

...or Lil' Kim

...or Lil' Scrappy

...or Lil' Zane

...or Lil' Jon

...or Lil' Wyte

...or Lil' Boosie

...or Lil Flip

Touche

Madman81

Muckdog
Reaction score
What says he gets a scholarship? People can committ all they want. That doesn't earn them a scholarship.

Reaction score
As an insider of college recruiting, i can assure each and every one of you, that this has more to do with the millions his father has than his bb talent. Im not saying he cant play good bb, but is he USC good.....

Top Bottom