What's new

Loria & the Expos

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why is it that everyone blames Loria for screwing up the Expos? They seem like a solid and exciting club to me. Maybe I'm missing something, but wasn't a majority of the Expos' nucleus put together by Loria & Co? Wasn't Fred Ferriera responsible for signing most of their young stars? Didn't Loria sign Vladi, Vidro and Cabrera to long term deals? What gives?

:mischief2

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
i think he promised them a stadium...

id ask Expos Ranchod for the whole story

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Oh yeah, just like John Henry promised us.

I'm talking about how the team supposedly got so much better after they left.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm talking about how the team supposedly got so much better after they left.
all they did was mature

Expos Ranchod

Muckdog
Reaction score
oh boy...long story

First in December 1999 when he took over the club he came to MTL promissing a stadium, promissing a winning team, promissing a return to being a MLB franchise and not just the farm system of MLB.

The problem was Loria and Samson had no knowledge of Montreal and the market. They thought it was just a smaller New York basically. They never hired any people who knew the market to help them out marketting wise, they played hardball with the local media when it came to TV rights and radio rights. So to start the year 2000, they had pissed off the TV broadcasters(No TV deal) and english radio. They barely got a deal done with french radio hours before opening day. To start the year 2000 the Expos were playing great and the fans were starting to come back but injuries to the pitching staff(it was absolutely ridiculous) and a real butt kicking by the Yanks in late June sent the team in a downward slide. The team ended the year with like 65 wins after being at .500 at the halfway mark.

Off the field, it was already obvious Loria was not here to keep the team in Montreal for the long term. The stadium, which was supposed to start being built in April 00 was delayed and delayed. The local partners(the guys who used to own the club before Loria came on board and they formed a consortium) started getting frustrated with Loria and it basically all came crashing down. Since Loria was the managing partner of the consortium, he kept asking for cash calls and since the other members of the consortiums had no interest in paying, Loria just kept getting more and more power in the consortium as he dilluted(sp) their shares.

To start 2001, Loria and Samson fired Alou which was really a terrible move PR wise. Especially since everyone knew Torborg and Jeffrey were great friends. The media and fans loved Alou and he was sort of an icon in the city. 2001 was a terrible year off and on the field and as the year went by it was becoming obvious Loria was ready to get the heck out of town and collect whatever money he made with all those cash calls. To give you an idea, Loria invested something like 30 million $ to own 20% of the team and by the end he had almost all of the team. So a 30 million $ invested essentially gave him the whole team.

The other thing that bugged people about Loria was the way he acted. He rarely ever spoke to the media and when he did, I swear the quotes he is feeding the media in FLA now are the same ones he gave us here in MTL. ''We are very optimistic about the future of baseball in this city'' and ''our season ticket base has increased..we are very excited'', stuff like that. Obvious BS from his mouth

Now, as for the Expos nucleus put together by Loria..that is false. Ferreira drafted and signed most of these guys well before Loria arrived. Vlad, Vidro, Vazquez, Cabrera, Wilkerson. All Loria did was trade Lilly, Westbrook and Parker for that fat piece of crap named Irabu, they(the brass..but Loria was like Steinbrenner in the 70s and 80s..total hands on) traded Brad Fullmer for Lee Stevens, signed Graeme Lloyd for 3 million per year for 3 years. They traded for Tatis. Loria's moves to improve the team were basically disasters. His first round draft picks(Justin Wayne and Josh Karp+ levinski who was a 2nd rounder. Notice the names..I am no racist just pointing it out) got plenty of his money and don't be surprised if he tries to get Karp back into your system.

The team got much better once he left was for 3 reasons:

- as ramp said..they matured...thanks to Frank Robinson's guidance. He's been great for these kids and has teached them how to win.

- Omar Minaya's creativity is a breath of fresh air for this franchise. Deals like the Livan one are a proof of it. Sure he went for it last year with Colon/Floyd but that was an extraordinary situation...

- health. Expos haven't lost any key players the past 2 seasons aside from Armas and El Duque. Hope I didn't jinx it. :banghead

There are so many things I probably forgot because there are so many things to say about Loria and Samson and what they did here.

Expos Ranchod

Muckdog
Reaction score
oh and Vlad was signed long term in 1998 before Loria came on board

Vidro did sign long term after 2000 season I believe. So that was a good move by Loria and co. :lol

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I believe the Expos' success is because of Omar Minaya...

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
I believe Omar Minaya is over-rated. I believe he walked into a situation where the "cupboard was fully stocked."

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Minaya has done a great job....

His hands have been tied in terms of payroll and he figures out ways to make deals to improve his club.

Frank Robinson has proven again why he was a quality manager in the 90s.

Now if only the Expos could find a way to get someone in Montreal to buy that team and build an open air stadium somewhere, while bringing back the red,white and blue hats.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Please...he's made a couple of average deals...nothing special as far as I can see. I thought he got very little in return for Colon and Floyd.

Don't believe the hype.

Rich P

Muckdog
Reaction score
Malman....

I WISH the Fish had a GM like Minaya instead of the brain-dead we have now.

Minaya is creative, intellegent, hard-working, loyal, and has a good eye for talent. Everything that Beinfest isn't.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Malman....

I WISH the Fish had a GM like Minaya instead of the brain-dead we have now.

Minaya is creative, intellegent, hard-working, loyal, and has a good eye for talent. Everything that Beinfest isn't.
Beinfest aian't "brain-dead".. he got Willis.. yes.. that kid who everyone thinks will be great.

How about Encarnacion for Dumpster... you're going to tell me Dumpster is better?

Floyd for Pavano (and others)? Pavano of course...

Millar... 1/2.. Doublesworth is doing pretty well..

3-4... that's a .750 BA... :mischief2

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
3-5 with the Mike Hampton crap...
DT you said how Hampton is crap but in the beginning of the year you refused to trade Dotel and Oswalt for Karsay and Moose, I asked to add Hampton and you said Rockin Leo was going to turn him around.

So you beleived in the hype and that he was going to be great I also remember someone saying they were On The Wall.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
i think he meant the "whole Mike Hampton fiasco".... not meaning Hampton is crap

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
3-5 with the Mike Hampton crap...
DT you said how Hampton is crap but in the beginning of the year you refused to trade Dotel and Oswalt for Karsay and Moose, I asked to add Hampton and you said Rockin Leo was going to turn him around.

So you beleived in the hype and that he was going to be great I also remember someone saying they were On The Wall. "whole Mike Hampton fiasco"

Tho I would trade Carlos Zambrano and/or Odalis Perez for a power hitting OFer :mischief2

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Look for Omar to replace Steve Phillips as GM of the NY Muts.

:whistle

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Tho I would trade Carlos Zambrano and/or Odalis Perez for a power hitting OFer :mischief2
If Burrell continues to struggle in two weeks talk to me

Top Bottom