What's new

Low payroll even during construction of new stadium

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score
Secondly, Philly to New York is asinine. Philly is it's own major metropolitan city. But West Palm is a "suburb" of sorts of Miami. There is localized mass transit (Tri-Rail) connecting the two, Miami is the sports capital of South Florida. Any part of South Florida therefore, is a draw for the Marlins. It's much the same as your constantly referenced Boston. As a city in and of itself, Boston isn't capable of supporting the Red Sox in the manner in which they operate, but all of New England is Red Sox territory. Jersey sales, hat sales, ticket sales, TV viewers. That's why it's totally relevant to look outside of Miami for viewership (FYI, 60% of the Marlins season ticket base comes from outside of Miami) but moronic to say that it's disqualified because of the relative proximity of Philadelphia and New York.

"Suburb" of Miami? Outright laughable.

Its not laughable. When calculating metro areas, West Palm is normally incorporated with all of Dade and Broward County. I am not saying I agree with it, but it gets clumped together all the time. The same way Manchester, NH gets clumped with Boston. Do I think its a suburb of boston? NO, but its not laughable that he made that association.

I also read that about 50% of redsox tickets sales are out of state! That means people from RI, NH and the rest of New England are buying tickets.

It's very laughable. When we talk about the Marlins fan base and ticket sales then grouping the tri county area together is one thing. But to say West Palm Beach is a suburb of Miami is way out of line and very misinformed. It would be like me saying that because the eastern parts of the 3 counties is so urbanized it means that Miami is a suburb of Jupiter. It's using stats to misinform and insulting.

I wouldn't call Palm Beach a suburb of Miami but I would say Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach are definitely all in the same metropolitan area and I think that that's probably what TSwift meant to say. The comparison with Philly and NYC is ridiculous.

Pretty much agree there. If you mean that driving through the eastern parts of the 3 counties (especially PBC and then only from say a little west of the turnpike and to the east) is more like driving through one very large metropolis. It's pretty much non stop city from about Jupiter south. So maybe it was the word "suburb" that sent me off. It implys that PBC relys on Miami for work and commerce, and that it was founded and grew because of Miami, which is definetly very wrong in every aspect.

Strike 3

Muckdog
Reaction score
God I hate this ownership

And again. How Samson continues to have a job is beyond me. Every time he talks I get angry.
I agree with you Thanks to nepotism Samson is able to keep any kind of job...Hate the moron!

Nepotism is no longer an issue. We don't know what happens on the day-to-day biz end that he so impresses Loria and the rest of the board with. There has to be something. Has to be. But for the life of me I just can't figure it out.
I honestly thought that Loria was keeping him on last year so Samson could continue his training for the race in Hawaii as a favor for an ex-step son. The comments he was making on the radio and his failure for securing a stadium deal was enough for a firing after that race, IMO. I will say the then City Manager of Miami had as much to do with that proposal failing, but that's not the point. The higher ups don't have to come out and explain to us why he still has the job. We may just have to deal with it.
Part of the divorce settlement? I keep the dogs, you let little David keep that job he so enjoys. Hell hath no fury...

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score

And again. How Samson continues to have a job is beyond me. Every time he talks I get angry.
I agree with you Thanks to nepotism Samson is able to keep any kind of job...Hate the moron!

Nepotism is no longer an issue. We don't know what happens on the day-to-day biz end that he so impresses Loria and the rest of the board with. There has to be something. Has to be. But for the life of me I just can't figure it out.
I honestly thought that Loria was keeping him on last year so Samson could continue his training for the race in Hawaii as a favor for an ex-step son. The comments he was making on the radio and his failure for securing a stadium deal was enough for a firing after that race, IMO. I will say the then City Manager of Miami had as much to do with that proposal failing, but that's not the point. The higher ups don't have to come out and explain to us why he still has the job. We may just have to deal with it.
Part of the divorce settlement? I keep the dogs, you let little David keep that job he so enjoys. Hell hath no fury...
The level of trust Loria has put into Samson over the years and after the divorce suggest Loria's not being forced to do anything.

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
It implys that PBC relys on Miami for work and commerce, and that it was founded and grew because of Miami, which is definetly very wrong in every aspect.

Well, actually, study the history of growth and commerce in S. Florida. While it is true that PBC no longer relies on Miami, the growth of S. Florida was a result of Miami. Broward and Palm Beach did not just pop up with industry if Dade was not first developed and became a major economic base, unless you consider strip center upon strip center commerce. There has been an evolution here, like anywhere else and the big bang theory is not correct. Now, I know the denial by many people who never set foot in Dade, and I know you do, at least as far as Ives Dairy Rd and 27th Ave, is part of the bias against the cultural makeup of Dade County. Don't fear it, it is actually quite unique and while it feels different than PBC, embrace cultural differences.

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
It implys that PBC relys on Miami for work and commerce, and that it was founded and grew because of Miami, which is definetly very wrong in every aspect.

Well, actually, study the history of growth and commerce in S. Florida. While it is true that PBC no longer relies on Miami, the growth of S. Florida was a result of Miami. Broward and Palm Beach did not just pop up with industry if Dade was not first developed and became a major economic base, unless you consider strip center upon strip center commerce. There has been an evolution here, like anywhere else and the big bang theory is not correct. Now, I know the denial by many people who never set foot in Dade, and I know you do, at least as far as Ives Dairy Rd and 27th Ave, is part of the bias against the cultural makeup of Dade County. Don't fear it, it is actually quite unique and while it feels different than PBC, embrace cultural differences.

Palm Beach has Miami to thank as far as Miami was the place the 1920s land boom started, but not much more than that. And the time it took to flip some property back then would make modern investors' heads spin. But that flipping of property back in the 20s wasn't limited to Miami. They were doing it in West Palm Beach as well. As far relying on Miami industry, West Palm originally grew more as a place where those who support the rich living on the island could live and work.

To bring this back to the subject somewhat, it amazes me that Samson is allowed to continue to occupy a position of importance in this organization. Wherever he goes, he generates feelings of ill will in everyone from fans and players to politicians. Samson is probably the best living example of why nepotism is bad business practice.

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score

Palm Beach has Miami to thank as far as Miami was the place the 1920s land boom started, but not much more than that. And the time it took to flip some property back then would make modern investors' heads spin. But that flipping of property back in the 20s wasn't limited to Miami. They were doing it in West Palm Beach as well. As far relying on Miami industry, West Palm originally grew more as a place where those who support the rich living on the island could live and work.

To bring this back to the subject somewhat, it amazes me that Samson is allowed to continue to occupy a position of importance in this organization. Wherever he goes, he generates feelings of ill will in everyone from fans to politicians. Samson is probably the best living example of why nepotism is bad business practice.

I accept your Pbc and Miami explanation. Nepotism is given a bad name because of Samson. It was so quiet for awhile. MLB appears to have taken over stadium matters and shoved Samson far in the background. Then, bam, just as all of us start getting excited about stadium reports, spring training starting, optimism about our young team, Samson escapes and negativism starts anew. There must be a way to stop him, stifle him and banish him to some island far far away, and please KEEP HIM AWAY FROM TALLAHASSEE. I wish Senator Lee would have swallowed him whole.

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score

Actually check out your history. It's the other way around. Right from the beginning of Miami (previously known as Fort Dallas until a young widow from Cleveland and a hotelier/railroad magnet (ex oil executive) in Palm Beach changed it). Miami ended up growing faster in population but for many other diferent reasons than the one you try to convince us of.
I have a fear/bias of a cultural make up? LOL That's even funnier. Next you will be telling me you actually believe Ponce deLeon was looking for the Fountain of Youth. Stick around and maybe learn something.

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score

To bring this back to the subject somewhat, it amazes me that Samson is allowed to continue to occupy a position of importance in this organization. Wherever he goes, he generates feelings of ill will in everyone from fans and players to politicians. Samson is probably the best living example of why nepotism is bad business practice.

Yea that land boom thing. Interesting topic all on it's own. Ruined almost everyone involved financially because of the way it was done. West Palm was where the workers lived that supplied services for the rich and famous for those on the island back in the late 1800s. But that's just a minor section of PBC and not why the railroad was built for that eventually was extended down to what is now Miami-Dade County. The agricultural growth of the county and the needed industries connected with that is what made the city grow into the 1900's. Then came the rest of industry and commerce. BTW Miami was started as a result of two censecutive years of deep freezes in the central part of the state in the 1800s. Orange sprouts were sent to PB from Ft Dallas to show the freeze didn't affect them that far south which enticed the railroad magnet to take a trip down there to see what it was all about. The 2 freezes had hurt the profits of his railroads because of all the crops they had destroyed. He agreed it was a nice place and so agreed to invest some $$$ in the area. To turn it into a fishing village for his hotel guests on the island of Palm Beach.
Miami is a beautiful city because of it's location and, IMO, more importantly it's diversity in cultures. But don't get so carried away as to think it is the reason PBC is here. Or Broward for that matter.
I have no idea how Samson keeps his job. I really thought he was being kept on as a favor until after the Iron Man thing was over. My guess is that Loria really feels like he is his own son. How others on the board don't see things differently is questionable. Or maybe the things behind the scenes we are not privy to are the reason he retains the job. Maybe if he just had someone do his public talking for him we wouldn't be so apt to constantly be calling for his head.

Nepotism is given a bad name because of Samson. It was so quiet for awhile. MLB appears to have taken over stadium matters and shoved Samson far in the background. Then, bam, just as all of us start getting excited about stadium reports, spring training starting, optimism about our young team, Samson escapes and negativism starts anew. There must be a way to stop him, stifle him and banish him to some island far far away, and please KEEP HIM AWAY FROM TALLAHASSEE. I wish Senator Lee would have swallowed him whole.

I really didn't see anything wrong with those quotes from Samson. Except for the part of until the stadium is done we won't be seeing a huge increase in salary. But he did say that after completion we would have a mid level MLB payroll. Everyone just zoomed in on the first part and ignored the latter.
I don't agree with the way that will be done. I think, like others here, the way the Phillies did it is a better way. Use future stadium profits to help expand current payroll. But it isn't my choice. And the team has shown it can be competitive with a lower payroll.
Almost a 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

fanfish

Muckdog
Reaction score
The tactics and public statements the Marlins have issued over the years have changed.

When Loria took over in 2002, I remember that both he and Samson spoke in very positive terms all the time. The gloves came off however, after the Orange Bowl stadium site plan came tumbling down. The very personal and public feud Samson and the Marlins had with the then city manager didn't help either.

When they announced the fire sale of 2006, they also announced their relocation intentions and the nasty, in your face comments by Samson were on their way.

Samson doesn't get fired because he says exactly what Loria wants him to say. He is Loria's outlet. Notice that Loria has never contradicted Samson in the media. However, they should both find more subtle ways of getting their points across without turning off the fans that are trying their best to stay loyal to the club. That could start by remaining silent through the rest of the stadium negotiations, please.

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score

Actually check out your history. It's the other way around. Right from the beginning of Miami (previously known as Fort Dallas until a young widow from Cleveland and a hotelier/railroad magnet (ex oil executive) in Palm Beach changed it). Miami ended up growing faster in population but for many other diferent reasons than the one you try to convince us of.
I have a fear/bias of a cultural make up? LOL That's even funnier. Next you will be telling me you actually believe Ponce deLeon was looking for the Fountain of Youth. Stick around and maybe learn something.

Lets see, so you say Miami growth was not ahead of Palm Beach, even though you do say that, just not for the reasons I am trying to convince you of. Not really trying to convince anyone of anything. Therefore, the reason for PBC was really a result of Cleveland, not Miami, because the money started there along with the oil exec who really only lived here in the winter. Bob, doesn't really matter-and apologies for assuming any bias-really. If I end up fighting people on this board, then it will stop being fun. Some of the displays of acrimony are excessive.

Anyway, Juan Ponce de Leon (1460?-1521) was a Spanish explorer and soldier who was the first European to set foot in Florida. He also established the oldest European settlement in Puerto Rico and discovered the Gulf Stream (a current in the Atlantic Ocean). Ponce de Leon was searching for the legendary fountain of youth and other riches.

See you at the games.

SoFlaFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Lets see, so you say Miami growth was not ahead of Palm Beach, even though you do say that, just not for the reasons I am trying to convince you of. Not really trying to convince anyone of anything. Therefore, the reason for PBC was really a result of Cleveland, not Miami, because the money started there along with the oil exec who really only lived here in the winter. Bob, doesn't really matter-and apologies for assuming any bias-really. If I end up fighting people on this board, then it will stop being fun. Some of the displays of acrimony are excessive.

Anyway, Juan Ponce de Leon (1460?-1521) was a Spanish explorer and soldier who was the first European to set foot in Florida. He also established the oldest European settlement in Puerto Rico and discovered the Gulf Stream (a current in the Atlantic Ocean). Ponce de Leon was searching for the legendary fountain of youth and other riches.

See you at the games.

HUH?!?

Okay, let's close the door on this. In the true "land planning" sense of the word, West Palm Beach is NOT a suburb of Miami, neither is Fort Lauderdale. Historically speaking, West Palm Beach and Miami grew on separate and independent tracks and neither really relied on the other for growth, transportation, etc. WPB was incorporated first, settled first, and developed first (in one way or another). Henry Flagler lived in Palm Beach and agreed to extend his railroad south at the behest of Julia Tuttle and Mary Brickell. It was Flagler that built the Royal Palm Hotel to serve as the terminus of his railroad. The "Royal Palm" was built where the present day MetOne project downtown is going up (or what was once the DuPont Plaza Hotel).

Actually until 2003, West Palm Beach and Miami were two separate MSA ("metropolitan statistical areas"), with "West Palm Beach-Boca Raton" being one and "Miami-Fort Lauderdale" being another. In 2003, WPB was "lumped" into the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach MSA. As a matter of fact, Palm Beach County officials were upset that WPB was not named as the "principal city" in the name of the MSA, and that it was Miami Beach instead. Within each MSA, there are "divisions" and the "Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach MSA" has three: (1) "Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall Metropolitan Division," (2) "Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Deerfield Beach Metropolitan Division," and (3) "West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Boynton Beach Metropolitan Division."

Under the 2000 standards, ?Metropolitan Statistical Area? and ?Micropolitan Statistical Area? are the terms used for the basic set of county-based areas defined under this classification. In addition, the term ?Metropolitan Division? is used to refer to a county or group of counties within a Metropolitan Statistical Area that has a population core of at least 2.5 million. A Metropolitan Division is most generally comparable in concept, and equivalent to, the now obsolete Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area.
While a Metropolitan Division is a subdivision of a larger Metropolitan Statistical Area, it often functions as a distinct social, economic, and cultural area within the larger region. Metropolitan Divisions retain their separate statistical identities. Federal agencies will continue to provide detailed data for each Metropolitan Division, just as they did in the past for the Primary Metropolitan Statistical Areas.

Now that I've bored you with enough planning jargon, the answer is this simple: WEST PALM BEACH IS NOT A SUBURB OF MIAMI (for heaven's sake, we don't even watch the same TV stations!).

fanfish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hey guys. How about stopping this argument? I've really read all I want to reed about Palm Beach vs Miami. Thanks.

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score

See you at the games.

Re-read please. After the founding (sort of anyway, it already existed as Fort Dallas) of Miami by a young Cleveland widow (as soon as a friend returns that book I will mention her name) and the influx of $$$ from a Palm Beach hotelier/railroad magnet (Henry Flagler) to turn it into a fishing village for his rich and famous guests (more or less a failed attempt because of her foresight on what she thought the region could become), the Miami area was pretty much stagnate in it's growth. The land boom of the 20's and events leading up to that boom changed that dramatically. Of course it also bankrupted most of those involved. Since then Dade County's growth was astronomical and surpassed all other counties in South Florida. That is now changing. PBC and Broward County now are faster growing, although population-wise still behind Miami-Dade. Which makes sense, if you stop and think about it.
Your notation of Ponce de Leon is text book stuff. Not exactly true, but it is what we have been taught in schools. Truth is, he was on a mission to find gold. Plain and simple. He was also out to enslave the local nationals to mine that gold. He did step foot in Florida (west coast near now-Tampa area) to capture and enslave the locals and was attacked, wounded, and driven out. According to his personal diaries that was the only time he actually set foot in what is now Florida. You failed to mention that he stopped off at another island to restock with food and water and finding no fresh water and no food there with the exception of huge numbers of sea turtles he promptly named the island Dry Tortogus(sp). Returning to PR he would die of the wounds inflicted on his only venture onto Florida. His troops did reach land a couple times before and after his venture, but that is another story. Now which version do you think our forefathers/educational system would like us to know? A greed driven story of slavery or the romantisized version of the hunt for the legendary Fountain of Youth?
There are many good books on the true history of our great state. I would reccommend a 3 book series titled Florida's Past by Gene M. Burnett and published by Pineapple Press, Inc. of Sarasota. The research and use of personal diaries and other substantiated and verifiable documents makes this series an interesting reading for those that want to know of the true roots of our state. The books cover many aspects of our history, the good and the bad, the famous and the infamous. I particularly like the stories of the not so famous heros/heroines, the ones you never hear about. The books are set in pretty short chapters that leave you wanting to learn more on the specific topics. In other words, great bathroom reading material. LOL
I really have no problem with you on these boards. Discussion of differences of opinions is a good thing. Maybe I just took the wording of some things ("suburb of Maimi" and my "cultural bias" most notably) too literally. I think I would enjoy sitting down at the ball park and watching a game with you.

HUH?!?

Okay, let's close the door on this. In the true "land planning" sense of the word, West Palm Beach is NOT a suburb of Miami, neither is Fort Lauderdale. Historically speaking, West Palm Beach and Miami grew on separate and independent tracks and neither really relied on the other for growth, transportation, etc. WPB was incorporated first, settled first, and developed first (in one way or another). Henry Flagler lived in Palm Beach and agreed to extend his railroad south at the behest of Julia Tuttle and Mary Brickell. It was Flagler that built the Royal Palm Hotel to serve as the terminus of his railroad. The "Royal Palm" was built where the present day MetOne project downtown is going up (or what was once the DuPont Plaza Hotel).

Actually until 2003, West Palm Beach and Miami were two separate MSA ("metropolitan statistical areas"), with "West Palm Beach-Boca Raton" being one and "Miami-Fort Lauderdale" being another. In 2003, WPB was "lumped" into the Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach MSA. As a matter of fact, Palm Beach County officials were upset that WPB was not named as the "principal city" in the name of the MSA, and that it was Miami Beach instead. Within each MSA, there are "divisions" and the "Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach MSA" has three: (1) "Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall Metropolitan Division," (2) "Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Deerfield Beach Metropolitan Division," and (3) "West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Boynton Beach Metropolitan Division."

Under the 2000 standards, Metropolitan Statistical Area and Micropolitan Statistical Area are the terms used for the basic set of county-based areas defined under this classification. In addition, the term Metropolitan Division is used to refer to a county or group of counties within a Metropolitan Statistical Area that has a population core of at least 2.5 million. A Metropolitan Division is most generally comparable in concept, and equivalent to, the now obsolete Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area.
While a Metropolitan Division is a subdivision of a larger Metropolitan Statistical Area, it often functions as a distinct social, economic, and cultural area within the larger region. Metropolitan Divisions retain their separate statistical identities. Federal agencies will continue to provide detailed data for each Metropolitan Division, just as they did in the past for the Primary Metropolitan Statistical Areas.

Now that I've bored you with enough planning jargon, the answer is this simple: WEST PALM BEACH IS NOT A SUBURB OF MIAMI (for heaven's sake, we don't even watch the same TV stations!).

Bored me? Heck, I found that interesting. Good explanation of some things. Thanks.
Now let's get back to some baseball talk.

Strike 3

Muckdog
Reaction score

The level of trust Loria has put into Samson over the years and after the divorce suggest Loria's not being forced to do anything.
I said that in jest. I have absolutely no clue what was in the divorce settlement. The fact that Samson continues his unrestrained mouthing off leads me to believe that he and Loria are of the same mind.

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Which scares even me. But then what MLB owner isn't?

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
By payroll I mean free agent signings not retention of current talent.

Top Bottom