What's new

Lowell Going, Going, Gone

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Lowell to be going, gone

Whenever the Yankees make a trade ? even if it's for a couple of dregs whose combined trips to the disabled list are exceeded only by the number of times they've been released ? it's cause for clubhouse buzz everywhere.
This was certainly true in the visiting clubhouse at Shea last night as word began spreading among the Florida Marlins that their ex-teammate, much-traveled reliever Dan Miceli, had been traded to the Yankees along with fellow journeyman Karim Garcia in the latest Cleveland Indians fire sale. It was, after all, in that very clubhouse at Shea two years ago that Miceli stood in front of his locker after a particularly horrendous loss to the Mets and launched into a tirade that succeeded in getting Florida manager John Boles fired.

In and around the snickers and raised eyeballs, however, the words "Yankees" and "trade" got the particular attention of Marlins third baseman Mike Lowell, who was once a Yankee and who is likely to be traded before the July 31 no-waivers deadline, despite the fact he is leading the National League in home runs.

Because he is arbitration-eligible next season and a free agent the year after, and because every team in baseball knows the Marlins have no intention of paying him what he is worth, Lowell has resigned himself to finishing this season in another locale, presumably closer to first place.

Yankees? It would be kinda neat to hear your "ex" wants you back. Mets? That was the hot winter rumor, but you've got to believe they've lost a lot of their appeal. Dodgers? What better place to play than Southern California? Cubs? It's a toddlin' town with Wrigley and all its charm. Let's play two.

"I'd be lying if I told you I haven't thought about these possibilities," Lowell said. "Every time there's a new rumor, I picture myself in that city and try to imagine how it will be.

"I guess the one good thing is all the places I've been rumored to be going are great baseball towns. Lately, it's been the Cubs. They've got all that great young pitching and a great atmosphere there.

"At the same time, though, I've been very happy and comfortable in Miami. I live there now and it's not like I want to be traded. This is something I have no control over and maybe that's a good thing."

Perhaps nobody understands baseball's fact-of-life "haves and have-nots" economics better than Marlins manager Jack McKeon, who, in his previous stint with the Cincinnati Reds, was constantly being told the payroll was what it was and not to expect it to be raised.

"Nobody tells me anything here (about trades)," McKeon was saying last night. "But deep down in my heart, I think Mike is gonna be here. I know I'd hate to see him go. He's a manager's delight. You don't even know he's around."

Until, that is, he hits another homer (as he did last night in his first at-bat against the Mets' Steve Trachsel to raise his total to 24, which equaled his season high). Indeed, the constant trade rumors do not appear to be a distraction to him. The homers, on the other hand, almost seem embarrassing.

"I'm not a home-run hitter," Lowell said before the Marlins' 6-3 loss to the Mets. "I'm a doubles hitter. I don't know what's happening this season. It's not like I'm trying to hit home runs.

"The other day (former Marlin) Kevin Millar calls me on the phone and says: 'What's wrong with this picture: Sheffield, Bonds, Delgado, Lowell?' I will say I'm excited about the way I'm playing now."

Still, with just-recalled third-base stud Miguel Cabrera waiting in the wings (or, more precisely, left field, where McKeon is playing him to keep his bat in the lineup), Lowell almost certainly will be playing in the Friendly Confines of Wrigley or La La Land. It doesn't matter if the 72-year-old McKeon is able to work his magic and guide the Marlins back into contention and "fool a lot of people," as he says.

For a multitude of reasons, the Marlins are playing to three-quarters-empty houses at Pro Player Stadium and, baseball economics being what they are, ownership can be counted on to cut its losses and move Lowell now when his value can't get any higher. For what it's worth, when the Yankees traded Lowell to Florida in 1999 they got three forgotten minor-league pitchers ? Ed Yarnall, Mark Johnson and Todd Noel ? in return.

Only time, and Miceli's clubhouse presence, will tell if this latest Yankee trade turns out almost as bad.

Another perspective on the same old story. Some insigtful qoutes, though. Why do I see better writing from a Yankees' columnist, writing about interviews he did on a florida team, who are playing the Mets than I do from SoFla's beat reporters?

Sigh.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
This article is complete idiocy. This guy seems to have no idea about what he's saying. He has no idea about things down here. He's just another writer that thinks his team is in some sort of Lottery, wating for his numbers to be chosen.

Funny thing is, his numbers aren't in the container.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
NY Daily News is owned by Tribune who also owns WPIX-TV (Flagship TV of the Mets) and no surprise-The Chicago Cubs, Chicago Tribune and WGN!

Be careful :unsure :

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
from some hopeless Cubs fans....

that's the closest he'll get to a Cubs hat or LA hat or NYY hat..

Teal forever!

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
That's funny...

Just show them the Mike Lowell pick...

Be like, "He's hitting all these HR's in TEAL BABY! That's the only color you'll ever see him in!"

markotsay7

...He's just another writer that thinks his team is in some sort of Lottery, wating for his numbers to be chosen.

What a great way of putting it Josh...

markotsay7

That's funny...

Just show them the Mike Lowell pick...

Be like, "He's hitting all these HR's in TEAL BABY! That's the only color you'll ever see him in!"
Unfortunately there isn't much teal anymore...

Stupid move by management, phasing out the teal...even though these unis do look sharp, teal was our thing, ya know?

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I like the Black jerseys, but I think they should have both those solid Black ones and solid Teal ones as well...

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
NY Daily News is owned by Tribune who also owns WPIX-TV (Flagship TV of the Mets) and no surprise-The Chicago Cubs, Chicago Tribune and WGN!

Be careful :unsure :
I never knew this but once I checked the Tribune Company site... They own the sun sentinel! Another reason why so many Lowell rumors? :mischief2

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
DT, i said they owned the Sun-Sentinel and WBZL WB39 in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. Read my previous posts on these issues. Don't trust much you read now.

Hanleylicious

Muckdog
Reaction score
who's "numbers" ARE in the container....if anyones?

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Cubs would have to have the best odds to win the Lowell lottery. They have too many prospects to not think so. Thing is, they don't want to give up tose prospects to get Lowell...

So think of it like this. By not giving-up prospects for Lowell, the Cubs don't even want to spend their money on a ticket to try and win the Lowell lottery.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Cubs would have to have the best odds to win the Lowell lottery. They have too many prospects to not think so. Thing is, they don't want to give up tose prospects to get Lowell...

So think of it like this. By not giving-up prospects for Lowell, the Cubs don't even want to spend their money on a ticket to try and win the Lowell lottery.
Not if we move ahead of them in the standings. We are only 4.5 games behind the Cubs and we have more than a month until the trading deadline.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Exactly.

If we get to or pass the Cubbies they aren't getting him.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Exactly.

If we get to or pass the Cubbies they aren't getting him.
We play the Cubbies 6 times before the deadline. Let them watch and drool.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really believe management will do right thing and keep Lowell no matter what as the corner stone.I expect Dereck Lee along Luis Castillo to be gone ...

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really believe management will do right thing and keep Lowell no matter what as the corner stone.I expect Dereck Lee along Luis Castillo to be gone ...
I agree Minus.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
We play the Cubbies 6 times before the deadline. Let them watch and drool.
6 HR's in those games? :mischief2

That'll make them druel...

Latest posts

Top Bottom