What's new

Lowell IS NOT on the market?

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
Jim Hendry has been inundated with questions about Florida third baseman Mike Lowell for most of the season, but the Cubs general manager can do little until the Marlins put Lowell on the market.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-cubs-headlines

This is from the ESPN insider

Yes, Mike Lowell would look pretty swell in the middle of the Cubs lineup and might be just the thing they need to put them over the top in what is proving to be a very close multi-team race in the National League Central. The question is: are the Marlins even ready to give him up? According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, Chicago appears prepared to expand its payroll to accommodate Lowell, he of the 21 homers and .621 slugging average. The Dodgers have also been rumored to have a keen interest in him. The difference between the teams is the Cubs are not quite so desperate for runs as is Los Angeles.

Chicago is currently tenth in the league in runs scored and would like to see that improve so that it better complements their outstanding pitching. The thing of it is, the Marlins have made no official acknowledgement that Lowell -- who is under contract through 2004 -- is available.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
yup... i was just about to post that

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
What have I been saying Lowell is NOT on the market, as much as those in the local media( I like Mike Berardino but he was just putting two and two together a couple of weeks back) want to put a for sale sign on this team. Teams are calling but management still hasn't decide who will be keep or just ride it out for a run. It's in the team's hands this next 15 or so games will mean everthing.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Teams are calling but management still hasn't decide who will be keep or just ride it out for a run. It's in the team's hands this next 15 or so games will mean everthing.
Lowell may not be on the market yet, but it's only a matter of time. I like what the Marlins are doing (for once). They are sitting back and watching demand grow as pennant races heat up.

As for the FO "riding it out for a run"....Fat chance. There is no way the Marlins keep these guys around, even if they are in the heat of a wildcard run. To do so would be sacrificing the next three years in rebuilding and trying to replace the players they never got for Lowell, Castillo, etc. et al.

Bye bye, Mikey!!!!

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Teams are calling but management still hasn't decide who will be keep or just ride it out for a run. It's in the team's hands this next 15 or so games will mean everthing.
Lowell may not be on the market yet, but it's only a matter of time. I like what the Marlins are doing (for once). They are sitting back and watching demand grow as pennant races heat up.

As for the FO "riding it out for a run"....Fat chance. There is no way the Marlins keep these guys around, even if they are in the heat of a wildcard run. To do so would be sacrificing the next three years in rebuilding and trying to replace the players they never got for Lowell, Castillo, etc. et al.

Bye bye, Mikey!!!!Well Fish, I do agree the FO are doing the right thing waiting to see what is offered between now and the July trading deadline, but there is no urgency to trade Lowell this season. His salary is already factored into this years numbers. Their avowed philosophy is to reward players like Lowell and dump players that aren't producing (Hollandsworth, Almanza, Nunez, Lee -although I have to say I wonder how many games his defensive play has helped where his bat hasn't - and Pudge).

Trading Lowell is 10% true and 90% anti-Marlins media hysteria generated to marginalize baseball as another football season begins. I believe what the Marlins mgmt want to salvage from this year is a winning season, something they can hang their hat on next season for ticket sales. Trading Lowell, assuming prospects, will retard rather than enhance the team's chances over the next few seasons and they are, afterall, in the business of selling tickets.

One thing I don't see mentioned often is Florida's absence of an income tax. For example, Cliff Floyd, who is playing this year in New York for the same figure he was being paid by the Marlins, EXCEPT for state income taxes. When you figure it out, Cliff took about a half million cut in salary to play in NY. If the Marlins do attempt to keep Lowell after next year they'll have a non-inconsequential edge over many teams that reside in states with state income taxes.

I still remember last year when so many posters and pundits damned the Marlins for not giving Cliff his "deserved" $10 million. What a joke that turned out to be and the joke was on them. Too many people are so quick to spend someone elses money when they put hero worship ahead of onfield play.

Lowell on the otherhand is the real deal. Keeping Lowell, at least through this season is in the best interest of the Marlins and I expect, unless the deal would improve the team today, through the trading deadline next year.

But time will tell. Meantime time to go watch Dontrelle. see y'all at ProPlayer!

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
Good post Marlins2003, i agree with you. Now I look at it a diffrent way, and maybe the marlins wont trade Lowell.

marlin2266

Muckdog
Reaction score
To Marlins2003 -

The state income tax is a Florida advantage - but not as big as you might think.

The players have to pay tax based on the state they play the game in. Therefore, for road games in NY, Marlins players pay NY state income tax. Same for all other road games. The Marlins (under JHenry) used to have a FO person who helped the players sort out their paychecks by what state the money was "earned" in.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope your right Edcanes....we really need Lowell. We need his Production and His Defense. We dont have no one to put at 3rd and Cabrera is taking flyballs so he might be going to the OF. That probaly means Lowell will Probaly stay...he is having an All star year and we cant afford to lose him....

Top Bottom