What's new

Lowell to Cubs Chances

froggyvk

Muckdog
Reaction score
First, I will say I am a Cubs fan (I've posted here a few times before) but I'm not trying to start anything. I think this is the best Marlins board on the net (and most classy) so I decided to post here. I think you all know that Lowell will be traded...Marlins just cannot afford his salary and they've got to get something for him rather than losing him to free agency this off-season or the next (I forgot).

Does anyone believe the Cubs might have the edge to land Lowell because...
- Jim Hendry (Cubs GM) has been following Florida, so has the Cubs scouts
- Rod Beck thought a deal was imminent
- The Florida Marlins are notorious for making these kind of trades
- When the Cubs brought in Baker you just knew the roster was due for a shake-up.

And most importantly...
- With the development of Willis, Florida knows they can get prospects of value from the Cubs and may be willing to trade with them again

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
we know what you know...

but I think this is a valid point.... If the Marlins win, Lowell will stay....

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think the biggest factor in where Lowell goes isn't what prospects are offered for him....

The key here is which team is the best match with Lowell long-term. The Cubs, Yankees etc. will be turned off a little if they don't get strong signals from Lowell's agent that Mike will sign long term right after the trade.

Remember, this isn't going to be the typical July "rent-a-player" transaction. this is an off-season blockbuster that will just so happen to occur in July.

Everyone has scouts watching Lowell. I've seen print on the Dodgers attending the Fish games on their last coastie the other week. Heck, the Yankees have been watching Lowell since they had him in A ball.

I think the ball is in the Yankee's court. They maintain a defacto right of first refusal on any big name that becomes available. If they want him, they will have him, no matter what other teams try to do. Simple as that.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I disagree Fish...

the Yanks have no prospects to give us...

now if they offer cold, hard CASH.... we will be interested :shifty

Hanleylicious

Muckdog
Reaction score
suppose mike goes to the yanks, how much cash do you think we'd get? :mischief

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
If the Yankees offer Juan Rivera or Marcus Thames then you listen....

if those names are not even mentioned, then you hang up on Cashman right away.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score

I can imagine it already:

[Beinfest picks up the phone]

Beinfest: Hello?

Cashman: Beinfest?

Beinfest: Yes, this is him...

Cashman: Oh.. hi there Beinfest I'm interested in Lowell... I'll offer you Mussina for him...

Beinfest: WHAT?!?! No Juan Rivera or Marcus Thames?!?! No way!

[Beinfest hangs up]

:lol

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score

I can imagine it already:

[Beinfest picks up the phone]

Beinfest: Hello?

Cashman: Beinfest?

Beinfest: Yes, this is him...

Cashman: Oh.. hi there Beinfest I'm interested in Lowell... I'll offer you Mussina for him...

Beinfest: WHAT?!?! No Juan Rivera or Marcus Thames?!?! No way!

[Beinfest hangs up]

:lol OK I give you props for that one...LMFAO...

But I still do not see Mike Lowell leaving this organization...

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I dont think Lowell will leave. The Marlins could afford his salary because probaly Pudge wont be here so that will take away 10 Million and can be used to pay lowell. If we do trade Mikee we will be in BIG trouble, i dont think we would contend without him. Marlins Are probaly going trade D.Lee or Castillo or maybe both but Lowell is staying! :plain

froggyvk

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why do you all think you can afford him? You can't, unless you all want to buy season tickets for the rest of this year throughout 2006...

And face it, when Lowell is dealt you're not going to see a benefit of a deal within a week based on the Marlins perspective. But if you deal with a team like the Cubs who have one of the best farm systems in the majors, just be patient and wait a couple of years and you'll see the benefit of a trade.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
woah.

I guess you will be anti Marlins until Lowell is dealt....

and Texan...Rivera and Thames suck

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why do you all think you can afford him? You can't, unless you all want to buy season tickets for the rest of this year throughout 2006...

And face it, when Lowell is dealt you're not going to see a benefit of a deal within a week based on the Marlins perspective. But if you deal with a team like the Cubs who have one of the best farm systems in the majors, just be patient and wait a couple of years and you'll see the benefit of a trade.
1) Twins and A's have better systems, and the Marlins are right up there too...

2) For some reason, you Cubs fans seem to think you know more about our teams situation than we do. After Pudge leaves, that frees up $2 Million. Then D-Lee and Castillo traded for prospects, that is $8 Million gone. $10 Mill total.

Do I need to keep going?

This franchise will let some players become FA and not offer arbitration if that's what it takes to keep Mike.

You Cubs fans are ignorant of how you speak about our teams 'money' problems. Or lack there of, on the subject of keeping Lowell...

froggyvk

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not anti-Marlin, but just look at the facts. Lowell can't stay. Let's see: Your management owes $7 million to Pudge over the next three years, $23.5 to Hampton over 2003-2005, and $38 million of Hampton's salary total. Real smart.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not anti-Marlin, but just look at the facts. Lowell can't stay. Let's see: Your management owes $7 million to Pudge over the next three years, $23.5 to Hampton over 2003-2005, and $38 million of Hampton's salary total. Real smart.
saving $20mil in the long run...

yea.

thats smart.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Acually the Hampton deal has smart. We acually saved $25+ Million.

And If you are what you say, not anti-marlins, then why are you mocking are franchise?

froggyvk

Muckdog
Reaction score
Where did I ever mock the franchise? Look at this thread and find one place where I mocked the Florida Marlins. I said unless you all want to buy season tickets for the rest of this year throughout 2006
That's not a knock on the franchise. Lots of teams don't drew sell-out crowds every night.

Your management owes $7 million to Pudge over the next three years, $23.5 to Hampton over 2003-2005, and $38 million of Hampton's salary total. Real smart.

And you proved me wrong.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Let's see: Your management owes $7 million to Pudge over the next three years, $23.5 to Hampton over 2003-2005, and $38 million of Hampton's salary total. Real smart.
That would be mocking our franchise.

froggyvk

Muckdog
Reaction score
And you proved me wrong.

That would be mocking our franchise.
Look at the post above you:

froggyvk

Muckdog
Reaction score
Doesn't allow me to edit the post (there is no "Edit Reply" button to click when the page loads), so this is what the edit should be.

If you would look at the post above you, you would see:

froggyvk- Let's see: Your management owes $7 million to Pudge over the next three years, $23.5 to Hampton over 2003-2005, and $38 million of Hampton's salary total. Real smart.
froggyvk- And you proved me wrong.

Wild Card- That would be mocking our franchise.

Top Bottom