What's new

Manfred Reportedly Told Oakland Officials That A’s Could Move To Las Vegas

rmc523

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
Oakland mayor Libby Schaaf said today that Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred has indicated that he sees Las Vegas, Nevada as a possible relocation spot for the Athletics, Sal Castaneda of KTVU reports on Twitter. Manfred’s threat of exploring options in Vegas had been reported recently by the San Francisco Chronicle.
The newly combative stance from MLB’s top official arose after the city of Oakland filed a surprise suit to block a major portion of the A’s stadium plans. Manfred’s already reported comments conveyed a thinly veiled warning that the team and league could consider alternatives. But it was not known that he had specifically floated Las Vegas as a realistic possibility.

rmc523

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
Oakland must really not want any professional teams. You'd think they'd be bending over backward to keep the one team they still have.

I guess with the history they have, they'd stay the Las Vegas Athletics, should this move ever happen?

fanofthefish

Marlins Historian
Reaction score
I've watched baseball in LV, holy smokes it's hot and dry and the air is thin. At one game I saw Scott Pose hit a bomb about 450 feet as one of nine homers hit in the game! Will make for some interesting games for sure

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I've watched baseball in LV, holy smokes it's hot and dry and the air is thin. At one game I saw Scott Pose hit a bomb about 450 feet as one of nine homers hit in the game! Will make for some interesting games for sure
Wonder if they’d get a retractable roof on that ballpark maybe?

FishFan95

Marlin
Reaction score
So they would live in Las Vegas? That's a pretty long commute to their park in Oakland. Can't imagine the rent is any cheaper in Sin City. Why would they want to do that?

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I can't believe this Oakland situation has been an issue for so long already. This is a long time MLB franchise, not some expansion team from the 90's. I feel like by now either the city of Oakland should have already stepped up and locked them in or the team should have already left. I can't wait for a resolution on this whichever way it goes.

rmc523

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
I'm with you Silver. Seems like a crazy/ridiculous situation. That's why I said it seems like Oakland is just asking for them to leave at this point.