What's new

Marlin Backstops

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ok, maybe someone out there can help me with this one.... Why are we carrying three catchers? Was there some type of contractual aspect management had to take into consideration which led to carrying three catchers out of spring, not only this year but year(s) previous?

Now, now. Before you get all hot and testy and get ready to tell me that Pudge is hurt right now, or that Castro shows a lot of promise, or that Redmond is an assasin against LHP, etc... hear me out.

Almost no one carries three catchers on their squad full time. This, combined with the fact that I play as much as Castro makes me wonder why management didn't shop Castro or Redmond for bullpen help or a positional backup. And although right now with Pudge hurt is seems to make sense, the Marlins have carried three catchers since CJ the sequel began some three years ago. Seems like there are more pressing lineup issues that could be addressed, or at least a prospect or two could be had.

Help me out.

marlin2266

Muckdog
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Castro is the future - should shop Redmond - somebody in the pennant race will need a quality backup C. But what will they be willing to give up? Number one needs (quality bullpen help / power off the bench) will be hard to get from a contender.......

The last thing we need is another AA pitcher.........

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pudge isnt doing too well it think he wont sign with us next year and in my opinion we should of traded Redmond or Castro because three catchers is alot. I expect redmond to get traded and Castro will be the Everyday catcher and Banks will be the back up catcher. I think that will be good....

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Banks is an emergency catcher..... not one that you would expect to see(same with Mordecai)

most likely, Pudge is gone next year...... Redmond is the game's best backup and Ramon is our future...

IMO, it hasnt hurt us yet(the fact we have 3 catchers)....so its no big deal

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
somebody in the pennant race will need a quality backup C. But what will they be willing to give up?
Ummm.....For most teams, Redmond would be a quality starter, not a quality back-up. He would be a great starter for half of baseball. I would be suprised if he was traded to a team as a back-up. The team that trades for Red is a team that starts him.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Red cant start a full week even!

he is not a starter....he knows it, he says it

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I believe the reason you are seeing so much of Red right now IS BECAUSE THEY ARE SHOPPING HIM. I think they've made thier decision that Castro is the guy to keep and they're showcasing Red in preparation for the July trading deadline.

If anything were to happen to Pudge after a trade of Redmond, Matt Treanor ( batting .290 @ Albuquerque) is a plane ticket away. In fact I have a suspicion that's our catchers next year, Castro and Treanor.

I'd be sorry to see Red go because he contributed so much to the team, but that's baseball. And speaking of catchers, doesn't it fry your a$$ that we got rid of Benito Santiago because Dave Dombrowski was convinced he was washed up. Grrrrr !

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Redmond's just been playing a lot because Pudge went to visit a sick family member then has gotten some nicks and bruises. Plus McKeon has mentioned that he will probably rest Pudge twice a week instead of just once like Torborg.

Why bother trading Redmond now anyway? Not like he would bring back all that much. Plus once Pudge leaves after the season, a Castro-Red combo would be just fine.

Now if the team was in contention for a playoff run, maybe they trade Red to shore up the bullpen or something. But for now why bother?

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Plus once Pudge leaves after the season, a Castro-Red combo would be just fine.
I am thinking an all Castro show... or at least hoping. Red is worth a very good amount in bullpen help. Plus, one of the very few things I agreed with Torborg on: Ramon Castro is a future All-Star...

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ramon Castro may well be an all star someday, but making him a starter next year flies in the face of management's cuurrent contact hitting and speed philosophy. Castro strikes out in 20 percent of his AB's.

Not judging either way, but if they go with Castro next year it would be quite contrary to the spin they have putting out there along with the ditching of CJ, P-Dub and the rest of the big-whiff boys in favor of contact hitters.

Then again, with 90 percent of your positional players on 1 year deals, this team next year will look nothing like it does today.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Let me remind you. Right now we are not a smallball team. We are 5th in the NL in HR and haven't stolen a base in 2 series... :confused

I mean, yuo do need SOME power in a line-up. Castro needs to be the starter next year.

But here is a thought out of nowhere...

Penny, Castillo, Redmond (if necesary) for Dunn?

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yes they do. They have NO ONE to inter change with LaRue...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yes they do. They have NO ONE to inter change with LaRue...
Kelly Stinett is having a great year for them as a backup....and he is making $1mil+

they also have Corky Miller in the minors waiting for a chance.

They dont need a catcher.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
They could always carry three like we do, and he has always been a great pinch hitter...

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hmmm..... Penny, Castillo and Redmond for Adam Dunn?

I'm sure the Reds are chomping at the bit to get another starter (with a rap for injury, no less) from the Marlins. Never mind the fact that a player the caliber of Dunn will demand a long term deal, and Loria won't sign anyone for a contract longer than 20 minutes. Or, forget that the Reds don't need a catcher. Or that they would then have to negotiate new deals with all three ex-Marlins at the end of the year. Or the fact that Dunn, like most other decent players, would rather have a root canal on a roller coaster than play for a bad team in baseball purgatory, with a notorious owner and no fan base.

Here's a more realistic scenario. End of year, and whoever of the three hasn't been traded away to serious contenders for prospects signs with the Reds as a free agent??? Now that's realistic.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Redmond's just been playing a lot because Pudge went to visit a sick family member then has gotten some nicks and bruises. Plus McKeon has mentioned that he will probably rest Pudge twice a week instead of just once like Torborg.

Why bother trading Redmond now anyway? Not like he would bring back all that much. Plus once Pudge leaves after the season, a Castro-Red combo would be just fine.

Now if the team was in contention for a playoff run, maybe they trade Red to shore up the bullpen or something. But for now why bother?
My point was, the very reason you're seeing Red and NOT Castro is not because Red is so much better but for the reason I outlined, that this is a mini-showcase while Pudge mends.

jonnylons

Muckdog
Reaction score
Castro is our future. He has some big-time power and could be a strong #8 hitter in the lineup. Plus, he will be had cheap because he hasnt been able to play. He could be a huge bargain.

Redmond will be too expensive for a back up next year. We can call up another catcher and pay him less to be back up. Remember Greg Zaun? Yeah, that is basically who Redmond is. Both soild guys, love to have on your team, but we have more pressing needs for the $.

Pudge should be gone next year. If he doesnt bounce back and have an MVP-like second half, I think he may even have worked his way down in the pay scale. Which may mean he may stick around.

I think Castro should be our starter though it is too early to tell. That said, any deal for a catcher would not be profitable in terms of netting talent. Castro has great ability, but no results. Redmond is an excellent backup, but short of any Millwood deal, I dont see a back up catcher getting us much. Pudge has a no-trade clause.

Also, the 3 catcher-thing has not hurt us. Some have argued that the pitching number shrank from 12 to 11, and that our lack of depth has hurt us, but our pitching has not been the problem either. So yes, 3 catchers could potentially hurt you, but no it hasnt hurt the Marlins.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Redmond is the game's best backup
I'm sorry Ramp but my Phillies senses are tingling...

Todd Pratt when he gets his start which is usually one to two games a week he comes up. He was a steal in The Wendell, Pratt for Cook deal.

Top Bottom