What's new

Marlin notes April 23

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://www.miamiherald.com/591/story/83242.html

Uggla 'antsy' no more after 6 RBI
BY CLARK SPENCER
All Dan Uggla needed was three swings to fatten his anemic stats.
Uggla, who connected on an upper-deck home run at RFK Stadium in Washington on Opening Day before going into a slump, hit another upper-deck shot Sunday and doubled his RBI total to 12.

The second baseman on Sunday also added a three-run homer and drove in another run with a single.

''I've been antsy just getting hits,'' said Uggla, who began Sunday without a home run since Opening Day. ``I got [the first home run] out of the way Opening Day, but it didn't matter. I still struggled after that.''

Uggla took Jerome Williams deep in the fourth inning with an upper-deck shot to left that was calculated at 466 feet. He hit a 443-foot shot to left-center in the eighth off Chad Cordero.

Miguel Cabrera also hit an upper-deck home run off Williams in his return to the lineup after missing two games with an oblique injury. He also hit an upper-deck shot on Opening Day that preceded Uggla's.

''I wish it was like that [all the time] because he goes up there a lot,'' Uggla said. ``It's kind of funny that I hit an upper-deck shot the same day that he did.''

JACOBS SITS OUT

First baseman Mike Jacobs was out of the lineup for a second consecutive game as he continued to recover from a swollen thumb. Jacobs was injured Friday when a hard-hit ball glanced off his left hand.

He said it was doubtful he would be in the lineup today.

SANCHEZ `OK'

Florida finally received some encouraging news about one of its injured players. One day after exiting his start because of a stiff right hamstring, pitcher Anibal Sanchez was jogging Sunday and declared himself fit for his next scheduled start.

''I'm OK,'' said Sanchez, whose next start is Friday.

Sanchez said his right calf and hamstring were bothering him since the second inning Saturday against the Nationals. When he went to warm up before the sixth inning, the discomfort was so great he was lifted immediately.

ON THE MEND

Former manager Jack McKeon used to slip on a doctor's smock whenever reporters asked him questions about injured players. Fredi Gonzalez totes a supersized schedule book to keep track of all of them. Here's a peek inside the manager's calendar book:

? Pitcher Ricky Nolasco (right elbow inflammation), who is eligible to be taken off the disabled list, is scheduled for two rehabilitation assignments with Single A Jupiter, the first of which is set for Thursday. Gonzalez said he hopes Nolasco can be ready to join the starting rotation May 1.

? Reliever Jorge Julio (right calf sprain) will test his leg in bullpen side sessions and make a rehab appearance Thursday with the Gulf Coast League Marlins. Target return date from the DL: May 4.

? Pitcher Sergio Mitre (right finger blister) threw a side session Sunday and is shooting for a May 4 return.

LONG TIME

Jason Wood went eight years between home runs in the majors when he connected off of Nationals reliever Ryan Wagner on Saturday. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the last nonpitcher to go as long between home runs was Chad Mottola (1996-2004).

Top Bottom