What's new

Marlin Thoughts

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
So earlier Joe posted videos of Bleday, Chisholm and Encarnacion in the batting cages.

Thoughts just on those videos alone:

Bleday has such a sweet lovely swing and makes amazing contact. If he stays healthy, he should be a quality major leaguer

Chisholm's swing is god awfu and scares the fuck out of me. He is your classic big power, but big strike out kind of bat. The key will be if he makes enough consistent contact with pop to account for the rest. Its a slow looping swing that I see potential issues at the big league level. He really would be better off getting that refined. Scouts seem to have this same view.

Encarnacion I know nothing about, but his swing path and sound off his bat sounds pretty nice.

See I can be positive!

Michael

Jumbo Shrimp
VIP
Reaction score
See I can be positive!
I am shocked.

SHOCKED!

Now that my shock has subsided - good to see the guys in the cages already.

I imagine Rowson will work with Chisholm and get his swing shortened up a bit, hopefully.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
I am shocked.

SHOCKED!

Now that my shock has subsided - good to see the guys in the cages already.

I imagine Rowson will work with Chisholm and get his swing shortened up a bit, hopefully.
I mean Arizona's minor league developmental team didnt seem to have a ton of success so I'm skeptical.

Michael

Jumbo Shrimp
VIP
Reaction score
I mean Arizona's minor league developmental team didnt seem to have a ton of success so I'm skeptical.
What does Arizona's minor league developmental team have to do with our offensive coordinator and our minor league developmental team? I didn't realize their team had any input on our players.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
What does Arizona's minor league developmental team have to do with our offensive coordinator and our minor league developmental team? I didn't realize their team had any input on our players.
Because Arizona never really refined Chisholm's swing in his time in their system?

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
OK, but that's Arizona, not us. What Arizona did has no bearing on what we may do.
it doesnt really matter what the Marlins do if the kid isnt listening or receptive to change.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
This is exactly the thing with you Das... you post fair enough on the problems with Jazz's swing and when people respond to make conversation you come up with "Arizona's system sucks" and "Jazz doesn't listen to direction"... you start with one point and you sharply pivot to other random unrelated things like a senile old man.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
This is exactly the thing with you Das... you post fair enough on the problems with Jazz's swing and when people respond to make conversation you come up with "Arizona's system sucks" and "Jazz doesn't listen to direction"... you start with one point and you sharply pivot to other random unrelated things like a senile old man.
I said that COULD be the case, I mean I know the Marlins have this shiny new object at hitting coach that everyone thinks will never do any wrong, but fuck.

I never said that Arizona's system sucks or that Chisholm doenst necessarily listen to direction. Players are stubborn and think they can do what they want until they truly experience failure.

The main point is that Chisholm's swing is long and slow and quite fucking worrysome potentially.

The counter point is that its not that big of an issue becuase he is now with the Marlins so all will be fine, which essentially implies that the Arizona player development system is trash.

There is no guarantee that Chisholm's swing is shortened or made more compact. Thats the reality.

marlins_09

Muckdog
Reaction score
So earlier Joe posted videos of Bleday, Chisholm and Encarnacion in the batting cages.

Thoughts just on those videos alone:

Bleday has such a sweet lovely swing and makes amazing contact. If he stays healthy, he should be a quality major leaguer

Chisholm's swing is god awfu and scares the fuck out of me. He is your classic big power, but big strike out kind of bat. The key will be if he makes enough consistent contact with pop to account for the rest. Its a slow looping swing that I see potential issues at the big league level. He really would be better off getting that refined. Scouts seem to have this same view.

Encarnacion I know nothing about, but his swing path and sound off his bat sounds pretty nice.

See I can be positive!
I have to disagree on Jazz. Not saying he has the most compact swing in the universe, but he’s way shorter to the ball than most make it seem. The long, over exaggerated release makes it seem way longer than it actually is. That part has absolutely zero impact on his results - see Javy Baez. His load is fine, his hands are short to the ball with elite bat speed. I see no issue there.

Jazz’s volatility at the plate is two fold; poor pitch recognition and super narrow base at the point of contact. The narrow and inconsistent base shows up in the rep you mentioned on Twitter. It’s even to the point where he’s rolling his lead foot and coming out of balance.

Arizona clearly took the point of trying to see if his athletic ability could take over and he would figure it out. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Miami try and widen that base out, which could shorten everything up even more

Latest posts

Top Bottom