What's new

Marlins Ban Alcohol From Clubhouse

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm surprised alcohol was ever allowed in the clubhouse in the first place. Unless it's champagne and you just won something.

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Cards, Mets, Yankees, Pirates, Astros and Athletics have all done it, too.

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm surprised alcohol was ever allowed in the clubhouse in the first place. Unless it's champagne and you just won something.

On ESPN they were saying how it's a very common thing for players to sit around after the game, hang out and drink beer,thought that was interesting.

I think this is an overreaction from clubs.

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
i really thought it wasnt allowed in the clubhouse from the get go.

Reaction score
Of course alcohol has always been around in clubhouses. just beer thou, players and coaches would always sit around, sometimes up to an hour or so after the game just drinking and talking, when i was there, it was very common. champaigne obviously around playoff time, so that should be interesting this season to see what MLB does about that.

NFL and NHL dont have champaigne celebrations for their championships, i think MLB will make a move on this.

definate over reaction thou

Are the Marlins old enough to drink?

Funny tidbit, probablly one of the funnier things when i worked for the marlins...

2003 when we clinced the wild card we had our celebration in the clubhouse. at that time, cabrera was only 20, so to play a joke, some players went outside the clubhouse and got the cops that were guarding the door. the cops were told to go behind cabrera and ask him for ID. he got scared for a minute but made for a good laugh, then the cops gave the batboys dirty looks because we were way underage (17-18 at the time).

Big_Rob

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have decided to jump on board and officially ban alcoholic beverages from my son's clubhouse as well. Four year old kids don't need booze anyways.

On a serious note, I think it is a very responsible action for the Marlins and any other professional sports team who chooses to do so. The players are looked up to by a whole lot of youngsters and they should serve as role models as much as possible.
The action by the franchise does strike me as odd though because they don't want the players to drive drunk (and more) but they will never stop selling beer to the fans who are going to drive home after the game. I know there are cutoffs after the seventh inning or whenever it is and that they can't serve the obviously drunk people, but still... If they want to make it known that alcohol is a negative thing, take it out of the stadium all together. I welcome serious responses to this, I think it would make for some valuable discussion.

Nny

Muckdog
Reaction score
I agree in that I wouldn't mind seeing Alcohol banned from sporting arenas, or limit a person to only 1-2 glasses, but not everybody that drinks is going to drive. I'm not saying that nobody in a stadium drives home drunk, but I'm willing to bet most groups havea designated driver.

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's just unprofessional to drink in your workplace. If you want to drink you can easily go find a bar.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
What gets to me is that in a sport like NASCAR, teams are drunk 5 minutes after the race is over, if they win or not. But especially if they win. If you ever watch a Busch race, you'll see what I mean.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score

On ESPN they were saying how it's a very common thing for players to sit around after the game, hang out and drink beer,thought that was interesting.

Overreaction? A MAN WAS KILLED

On a serious note, I think it is a very responsible action for the Marlins and any other professional sports team who chooses to do so. The players are looked up to by a whole lot of youngsters and they should serve as role models as much as possible.
The action by the franchise does strike me as odd though because they don't want the players to drive drunk (and more) but they will never stop selling beer to the fans who are going to drive home after the game. I know there are cutoffs after the seventh inning or whenever it is and that they can't serve the obviously drunk people, but still... If they want to make it known that alcohol is a negative thing, take it out of the stadium all together. I welcome serious responses to this, I think it would make for some valuable discussion.
:notworthy

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score

One man, for his own selfish and dumb mistake and he wasn't just legally drunk.

If the teams want to do this, fine, but I hate that the hundreds of responsible guys are being punished mostly because of this recent event.

BTW, I hate the whole, "young people look up to these athltes" argument/point.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score

If the teams want to do this, fine, but I hate that the hundreds of responsible guys are being punished mostly because of this recent event.
Not to single anyone out but wasn't it Dontrelle Willis who was just arrested for public intoxication? Not very responsible.

And I know you're not a Marlins fan.

My point is not just this event that caused this. Over the years, there have been countless events amongst every sport linked to alcohol and abuse of alcohol. In the past couple weeks, a man was killed and a drunk fan fell on a woman and nearly crushed her. I don't care how much of a past time it is to go to a game and have a hot dog and a beer, if baseball wants to protect its integrity and the safety of its players AND fans that support it, they should take alcohol out of Major League stadiums all together.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not sure where this news is coming from, but I'm pretty sure alcohol wasn't allowed in the Marlins clubhouse before this incident.

Big_Rob

Muckdog
Reaction score

Not to single anyone out but wasn't it Dontrelle Willis who was just arrested for public intoxication? Not very responsible.

My point is not just this event that caused this. Over the years, there have been countless events amongst every sport linked to alcohol and abuse of alcohol. In the past couple weeks, a man was killed and a drunk fan fell on a woman and nearly crushed her. I don't care how much of a past time it is to go to a game and have a hot dog and a beer, if baseball wants to protect its integrity and the safety of its players AND fans that support it, they should take alcohol out of Major League stadiums all together.

I think one of the main contributing factors to there being such a big uproar following this incident was that Tony LaRussa got a DUI/DWI during ST and then it was one of his players that killed himself driving drunk. Not that a death needs any extra emphasis, but I'm pretty sure the Cardinals organization and MLB felt pretty strongly about this one because of the backstory.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's just unprofessional to drink in your workplace.
Ever worked in a garage before? ;)

I thought it was commonplace for teams to have coolers of beer and tables of food and stuff after the game.
I think too much is being made over one mans mistake.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score

If the teams want to do this, fine, but I hate that the hundreds of responsible guys are being punished mostly because of this recent event.Not to single anyone out but wasn't it Dontrelle Willis who was just arrested for public intoxication? Not very responsible.

My point is not just this event that caused this. Over the years, there have been countless events amongst every sport linked to alcohol and abuse of alcohol. In the past couple weeks, a man was killed and a drunk fan fell on a woman and nearly crushed her. I don't care how much of a past time it is to go to a game and have a hot dog and a beer, if baseball wants to protect its integrity and the safety of its players AND fans that support it, they should take alcohol out of Major League stadiums all together.I knew that, but because he made a dumb decision, the other 24 guys are punished? I'm not going to really argue about the banning of it for the team/organiation because that is up to the employer and the employer can do what they want. On a personal level I don't agree with that but I think the banning of it in stadiums, etc. is luidcrous.

I'm glad in school when someone cheated not everyone got a zero on the test or was punished along with them.

You make drinking at a game seem like because you drink, you have to drink and drive and there have to be accidents. People should have personal responsibilty. I've drunk beer at countless games and never once have I:

a. driven drunk
b. ridden with someone who was driving drunk
c. gotten in a car accident
d. crushed a fan at a game
e. gotten a DUI

So, I should be punished of personal enjoyment because a small percentage of fans can't handle themselves? I hate the all or nothing approach to policies and laws.

With the logic you posted the next step would be banning people from having sex because some people get raped, banning people from carrying money because some get robbed, banning people from playing sports because some get injured.

Sounds absurd, but its the same logic.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score

If the teams want to do this, fine, but I hate that the hundreds of responsible guys are being punished mostly because of this recent event.Not to single anyone out but wasn't it Dontrelle Willis who was just arrested for public intoxication? Not very responsible.

My point is not just this event that caused this. Over the years, there have been countless events amongst every sport linked to alcohol and abuse of alcohol. In the past couple weeks, a man was killed and a drunk fan fell on a woman and nearly crushed her. I don't care how much of a past time it is to go to a game and have a hot dog and a beer, if baseball wants to protect its integrity and the safety of its players AND fans that support it, they should take alcohol out of Major League stadiums all together.I knew that, but because he made a dumb decision, the other 24 guys are punished? I'm not going to really argue about the banning of it for the team/organiation because that is up to the employer and the employer can do what they want. On a personal level I don't agree with that but I think the banning of it in stadiums, etc. is luidcrous.

I'm glad in school when someone cheated not everyone got a zero on the test or was punished along with them.

You make drinking at a game seem like because you drink, you have to drink and drive and there have to be accidents. People should have personal responsibilty. I've drunk beer at countless games and never once have I:

a. driven drunk
b. ridden with someone who was driving drunk
c. gotten in a car accident
d. crushed a fan at a game
e. gotten a DUI

So, I should be punished of personal enjoyment because a small percentage of fans can't handle themselves? I hate the all or nothing approach to policies and laws.

With the logic you posted the next step would be banning people from having sex because some people get raped, banning people from carrying money because some get robbed, banning people from playing sports because some get injured.

Sounds absurd, but its the same logic.
For every responsible person that you described, there is someone who is the total opposite. That person will:

a. drive drunk
b. ride in a car driven by someone drunk
c. get in a car accident
d. crush/get in a fight with a fan
e. get a DUI

on any given night.

And that "small percentage" is probably bigger than you think. I know what you mean about the all or nothing approach but I'm willing to take a drastic measure to insure the safety of people who go to a baseball game not to drink but to watch a sport and to protect the players who are playing said sport.

Top Bottom