What's new

Marlins believed to have interest in Castellanos

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score

After an up-and-down 2019 season that featured a slow start in Detroit followed by a white-hot stretch in Chicago, Nicholas Castellanos is testing the free-agent market.

Below is a list of the latest news and rumors surrounding the 27-year-old outfielder, who is a free agent this offseason.

Marlins believed to have interest in Castellanos

Nov. 11: Although the Marlins are still in the early stages of their rebuild, the team could be a player on the free-agent market this offseason. The club needs a middle-of-the-order bat and is believed to be interested in Castellanos, writes MLB.com's Joe Frisaro.

Castellanos, a South Florida native, has recorded a 120 OPS+ over the past four seasons. That includes a 151 OPS+ in 51 games with the Cubs in 2019.

The Marlins could use more offense all over the diamond, but the team might need to overpay the 27-year-old slugger to get him to come to a non-contender after he just left a similar situation in Detroit when he was traded to Chicago in July.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I hope they don't over spend
What do you consider over spending?

The Marlins basically have right now:
2020 - 20+ guys club controlled for 25 man roster = $42 million. They need some bench bats, and a legitimate starter in the outfield.
(Alfaro, Wallach, Cooper, Isan, Rojas, Berti, Anderson, Ramirez, Brinson, Sierra, Caleb, Sandy, Pablo, Urena, E.Hernandez/Yamamoto, Stanek, Steckenrider, Brice, Brigham, Garcia, Conley)

2021 - Literally 22-24 guys as they have to play the kids= $48 millionish, assuming reasonable arb estimates. They still just need a right handed bat, and potentially upgraded bench/bullpen options
(Add L. Diaz, Monte, J. Sanchez, Sixto, Neidert, E. Cabrera, Guzman, and various relievers - Vesia, Quijada, Castano, etc.)

2022 - Same as above, 22-24 guys. Probably closer to $45 million (Chen/Rojas off books). They still just need a right handed bat, and then excess payroll is over luxury upgrades.
(Add Jazz, other potential arms)

What is spending too much here? I think they should front load the shit out of Castellanos to keep a potentially potent bat cheaper for 2022 and 2023 on a 4 year deal.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Lou has a point, there's almost no real way the Marlins can overspend as they have so little committed to payroll in 2020. If any team can afford to throw some money towards 2020 free agency it's this one.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Lou has a point, there's almost no real way the Marlins can overspend as they have so little committed to payroll in 2020. If any team can afford to throw some money towards 2020 free agency it's this one.
Yeah, it's just the right time to SPEND BIG !!!

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Castellanos ain't looking for a fun work environment, he's looking for a payday that will set up his children and potentially his grandchildren for life. If the Marlins offer him what he wants he'll suck up playing in front of shitty crowds.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
It’s just using payroll wisely. They need a veteran right handed bat and Castellanos is in his prime and can really hit. Use that low payroll and pay the man when you’re bad to try and create a lower payroll asset when you’re good. They could probably be able to afford an extra $5-7 million pitcher in each of 22/23 if they front loaded Castellanos and an Anderson buyout. That’s how you maximize small market resources. That’s an elite reliever

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Castellanos ain't looking for a fun work environment, he's looking for a payday that will set up his children and potentially his grandchildren for life. If the Marlins offer him what he wants he'll suck up playing in front of shitty crowds.
So you mean in a state with no state income tax and front loaded with a beneficial federal tax policy at the moment which may not be there in 2021 after the next election?

It’s not only smart for the Marlins. It’s smart for the player to get paid faster. It’s the best carrot.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
What do you consider over spending?

The Marlins basically have right now:
2020 - 20+ guys club controlled for 25 man roster = $42 million. They need some bench bats, and a legitimate starter in the outfield.
(Alfaro, Wallach, Cooper, Isan, Rojas, Berti, Anderson, Ramirez, Brinson, Sierra, Caleb, Sandy, Pablo, Urena, E.Hernandez/Yamamoto, Stanek, Steckenrider, Brice, Brigham, Garcia, Conley)

2021 - Literally 22-24 guys as they have to play the kids= $48 millionish, assuming reasonable arb estimates. They still just need a right handed bat, and potentially upgraded bench/bullpen options
(Add L. Diaz, Monte, J. Sanchez, Sixto, Neidert, E. Cabrera, Guzman, and various relievers - Vesia, Quijada, Castano, etc.)

2022 - Same as above, 22-24 guys. Probably closer to $45 million (Chen/Rojas off books). They still just need a right handed bat, and then excess payroll is over luxury upgrades.
(Add Jazz, other potential arms)

What is spending too much here? I think they should front load the shit out of Castellanos to keep a potentially potent bat cheaper for 2022 and 2023 on a 4 year deal.
I am convinced. Thanks for the well thought out response.

DTrain

LumberKing
Reaction score
With all of the payroll flexibility I’d rather front load Rendon, keep Andy in RF permanently and fill LF with any combo of Lewin/Bleday/VVM.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
With all of the payroll flexibility I’d rather front load Rendon, keep Andy in RF permanently and fill LF with any combo of Lewin/Bleday/VVM.
Rendon would be great, but you can't really front load a guy making over $30 million a year. You're just going to sign him at that point (and I'm fine with 7/$238 if that's what it takes. He's awesome). Also, there is the problem of, why is Rendon signing with a non-contender for incremental more money (hypothetically speaking), when he can still get over $200+ million from a team who will be good tomorrow? He's simply going to sign with a better franchise (and so is Cole) even if the Marlins throw that money at them. He's not a guy like Ozuna or Castellanos who are non-superstars who need to cash in right now with a $60-70 million deal, as this is their 1 time to do it as 2nd tier free agents. Front loading them with the highest contract in free agency will easily land one of them. It works for everyone.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I am convinced. Thanks for the well thought out response.
No probs. Also, they do have options for variations. Say, Clint Frazier is an odd man out and he has a lot of upside.

Why wouldn't you trade Caleb for him (and other prospects as the Yankees have a 40 man crunch and the Marlins don't really for anyone with upside), and you've solved the right handed OF for cheap. Caleb also deflects some money as he hits arbitration first, and now you can do the same thing - have $50-70 million to sign a SP in 20 or 21 and front load their deal to create a cheaper 22/23/24 and instead of having Caleb and "Castellanos," you have Frazier, a veteran SP, and multiple good Yankees prospects. Either scenario should make use thrilled.

The payroll gives them so many options which is my point. I just want to see them use it to BUILD for now by getting a better hitter in the lineup who is actually good and BUILD for 2022 by retaining that guy for awhile on beneficial prices later in the contract. Signing a guy like Avisail for 2/$12 is just $12 million bucks wasted IMO. I like him for who he is, but let's spend that $12 million bucks towards a guy who will be around in a few years.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
You know from the other site that I'm with you, Lou - they need to sign someone that can contribute to the upcoming core.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
per MLB.com
"He's a below-average corner outfielder who doesn't walk much and might get paid based on those two months in Chicago," Schoenfield writes. "At $15 million or so per season, he's probably fine for three or four years. But a big annual average deal and more years could be risky for a guy who ends up as a DH in a couple of years."

Latest posts

Top Bottom