What's new

Marlins believed to have interest in Castellanos

THRILLHO

Hammerhead
Reaction score
This is 100% speculation by me but even if bringing in Ozuna was the best baseball decision I don’t think this front office would do it. I think the front office wanted to divest themselves of all the clubhouse personalities they inherited.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
This is 100% speculation by me but even if bringing in Ozuna was the best baseball decision I don’t think this front office would do it. I think the front office wanted to divest themselves of all the clubhouse personalities they inherited.
Yes and no. Ozuna was never a clubhouse problem and I don't think this organization would shy away from guys as good as him.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
@MarlinsLou is spot on. The team is in a different phase of team building. It is time to get busy with free agents.
Yes, but it's either super cheap ones like Walker and Romo to plug some gaps, or use open payroll to start creating assets in 2022 and beyond with guys being underpaid in "contending years."

The worst idea is paying Avisail $15 million bucks for 2 years. That's just wasted money. Unless they just magically decide to run a real payroll over $90 million next year (hahahahahahaha I'm funny).

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Would Scott Boras be a problem ?
He only cares about cash.

Front loaded deal, 4 years, and over $60 million is going to be hard to beat by another team to come “home.” It’s easy to sell the hope for the coming Marlins teams too as this isn’t just a cash grab either and this team should be good very soon. I’d offer that now (and Ozuna something similar so it’s a first to take it scenario so theoretically pit those 2 against one another. Try and create leverage there) and hold firm and let another team offer more.

If someone is crazy enough to offer him or Ozuna a lot more or a 5th year, oh well you tried. Trade for Clint Frazier and friends with Caleb then and sign a pitcher this or next offseason with that money you aren’t spending on a bat.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Would Scott Boras be a problem ?
No, he talks a big game but we signed Chen under him too so despite what he says if we offer good money he happily takes it. I wanna say we signed another one of his guys after Chen too but I can't remember who if anyone.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
No, he talks a big game but we signed Chen under him too so despite what he says if we offer good money he happily takes it. I wanna say we signed another one of his guys after Chen too but I can't remember who if anyone.
Bleday - over slot too (a little) I believe

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I think it would be a bad off-season if we couldn't at least acquire one of Castellanos and Ozuna.

canada-marlin24

Muckdog
Reaction score
I would love to have Castellanos. Great hitter, still young, Miami guy that would really help this lineup.

Guy had 58 doubles last season! I see him becoming something similar to J.D. Martinez.

Not sure whether I would want him at third base or right field. Have heard some negatives about his outfield defense so if the Marlins definitely want Anderson at third then perhaps Castellanos would be better off in left than right.

Last edited:

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I would love to have Castellanos. Great hitter, still young, Miami guy that would really help this lineup.

Guy had 58 doubles last season!
Yep I like Nick as well. Hopefully they take a big swing and aren't just faking interest in a bunch of free agents.
He only cares about cash.
And he's proven that many times in the past. He'll hold out until spring training even if he sees potential dollars coming.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score

Guy had 58 doubles last season! I see him becoming something similar to J.D. Martinez.

Not sure whether I would want him at third base or right field. Have heard some negatives about his outfield defense so if the Marlins definitely want Anderson at third then perhaps Castellanos would be better off in left than right.
I agree with the bat comp. Maybe he never gets to JD's recent epic years, but the guy can hit and I think there is growth potential, with a .850 OPS floor which is fantastic. I don't think he is an Eric Hosmer at all.

He hasn't played 3B in 2 seasons, and was horrendous in 2017, so that ship has sailed. You're definitely keeping BA at 3B for years unless a true superstar (Rendon) is acquired, or Jazz gets too big for SS and you have to move BA to the OF. I don't think either of those are a 5 year problem for the Marlins.

I think you would play Castellanos as a revolving door at 1B/LF/RF/DH. He graded out "unreasonably terrible" in a small LF sample size in 2019 so I'm not sure if I believe that, and was "below average but not killing you" in RF in 2019. The issue is, his 2018 RF defense was really terrible, so did he just get a little lucky in 2019 (Wrigley easier than Comerica?), or was there some real growth with a 2nd full year in the OF. I'm optimistic with him, so I'd like to think the Marlins can make him an acceptable corner OF option and an adequate 1B (as a former 3B, he has had a lot of time in the IF already so not a massive conversion).

My idea would be 50+ games at 1B, 80+ LF/RF (figure out whichever he is better at and play him there), and all DH games are his. Or maybe Lewin Diaz just doesn't cut it and he's the longterm 1B (I think Cooper is a bench player on a good time and may get phased out even if he works out).

This would figure itself out by performance. Collecting good players is all they need to do and then they can figure it out. Just like the Dodgers who can deploy unreal amounts of lineups that are passable.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Yep I like Nick as well. Hopefully they take a big swing and aren't just faking interest in a bunch of free agents.

And he's proven that many times in the past. He'll hold out until spring training even if he sees potential dollars coming.
Yep. A long holdout for Castellanos seems like it will happen as Boras will have a standing offer and just hope someone gets hurt first two weeks of spring training.

Good thing with the Marlins is, the only way Castellanos makes sense is if it's on their contract terms that work. If he doesn't sign? Bye Felicia. It would suck for us seeing an even worse product another year, but who cares. Eyes on the prize in 2022. It's either creating an asset for the hypothetical contending team or not. No pressure to land this dude but if it happens, great.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
So, just to clarify the situation financially... Jeter and company have money to spend? I heard they were broke and would never be able to spend money on free agents.
Ha, well let's see if they sign anyone first.

@MarlinsLou is spot on. The team is in a different phase of team building. It is time to get busy with free agents.
I'll take one for the team and get busy with them if it seals the deal haha.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
If this team acquires Castellanos or Ozuna, it would not only improve this team but also rewards to the fans that still believe in them.

hovertical

LumberKing
Reaction score
I'd rather give Castellanos a contract at this point over Ozuna as I like the unknown factor between the two of them I guess? I feel like we know what we'll get with Ozuna already so why not just overpay for the younger of the two and see if he keeps improving - and if so, he'll likely be a longer contributing member of this team. Also, they are going to have to overpay for Castellanos. I'd say 90% of FA's are ALWAYS overpaid - which is how it's supposed to work for the player. But the vast majority of the time - whoever is willing to overpay the most will get that player to sign with them, in particular when the player is looking to cash in during his prime years (it can change as they get closer to the end of their career and just want to win a title). I'm not worried about how the OF will look in a few years and where Castellanos would play. A LOT can happen in a few years and if they end up with a crowded roster then trades can be made. It's not like it's a bad thing to have too much talent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom