What's new

Marlins believed to have interest in Castellanos

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
I'd rather give Castellanos a contract at this point over Ozuna as I like the unknown factor between the two of them I guess? I feel like we know what we'll get with Ozuna already so why not just overpay for the younger of the two and see if he keeps improving - and if so, he'll likely be a longer contributing member of this team. Also, they are going to have to overpay for Castellanos. I'd say 90% of FA's are ALWAYS overpaid - which is how it's supposed to work for the player. But the vast majority of the time - whoever is willing to overpay the most will get that player to sign with them, in particular when the player is looking to cash in during his prime years (it can change as they get closer to the end of their career and just want to win a title). I'm not worried about how the OF will look in a few years and where Castellanos would play. A LOT can happen in a few years and if they end up with a crowded roster then trades can be made. It's not like it's a bad thing to have too much talent.
Agreed. I rather pay for Castellanos and the predictions have him signing for 4 years between $56 - $60 million. Paying $15 million for Castellanos would be just fine. He plays RF or 1B on this team if he gets signed.

2B and back up catcher are the areas I really wanna see get addressed.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Garcia and Puig on a short term deal help current product, and do not help 2022-2023.

I will keep saying it - create some value and front load one of those two dudes as they still are going to be good in 3-4 years as they are young. And buy out Anderson and do the same. Then you can afford more guys in the years you are good.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Agreed. I rather pay for Castellanos and the predictions have him signing for 4 years between $56 - $60 million. Paying $15 million for Castellanos would be just fine. He plays RF or 1B on this team if he gets signed.

2B and back up catcher are the areas I really wanna see get addressed.
I think that's low, but even $64-68 is fine ($20-20-$14-$12 sort of thing, etc.). More than that it gets a little iffy on my end, especially with Ozuna and the pick.

2B they have to give Isan PA and Berti was surprisingly fantastic last year. Not sure what the concern is.

I'm also personally fine with Wallach and Heineman (hope he sticks in AAA and maybe the bat is real), but a veteran wouldn't be a bad thing. Wallach was good before he got hurt. I'd just place this not in the top 5 concerns. To me thats-

-Castellanos/Ozuna (or Rendon), or I guess a short term cheap 1 year bat if those guys are too expensive
-5th SP innings eater or solid lefty reliever. Depends on where you put Urena, in the rotation or pen.
-Romo
-N. Walker
-Brad Miller/Ryon Healy type

FishFan95

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
If the Marlins did acquire Castellanos or Ozuna, then they would have 2 players in common with my ongoing mlb the show franchise that I started back in 2016. The only other guy I have who is still on the real team is Dean.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Sometimes you just need to lose something to get something whether it's money or draft picks, no pain no gain …

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that other teams are going after these free agents too and that the Marlins still can't be offering ridiculous dollar amounts either.
Sadly, sometimes only the ridiculous money would get the job done …

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
I think that's low, but even $64-68 is fine ($20-20-$14-$12 sort of thing, etc.). More than that it gets a little iffy on my end, especially with Ozuna and the pick.

2B they have to give Isan PA and Berti was surprisingly fantastic last year. Not sure what the concern is.

I'm also personally fine with Wallach and Heineman (hope he sticks in AAA and maybe the bat is real), but a veteran wouldn't be a bad thing. Wallach was good before he got hurt. I'd just place this not in the top 5 concerns. To me thats-

-Castellanos/Ozuna (or Rendon), or I guess a short term cheap 1 year bat if those guys are too expensive
-5th SP innings eater or solid lefty reliever. Depends on where you put Urena, in the rotation or pen.
-Romo
-N. Walker
-Brad Miller/Ryon Healy type
I just checked again and MLBTR has Castellanos at around 4 years / $58 million. Their predictions seem to be pretty accurate unless a team just grossly overpays. Castellanos is young at 27 and has a good bat but his defense is still suspect. Yeah, he improved in RF but teams are still valuing the defense. He is basically a poor man's JD Martinez right now and even then I don't know if that is a good comparison. I think that is a fair contract to offer him,

I hope Berti pans out, even if they platoon him and Isan at 2B. But having a veteran that can play multiple positions in the infield and corner OF would be great.

Wallach is the logical choice for backup but there are still questions on his concussions.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I just checked again and MLBTR has Castellanos at around 4 years / $58 million. Their predictions seem to be pretty accurate unless a team just grossly overpays. Castellanos is young at 27 and has a good bat but his defense is still suspect. Yeah, he improved in RF but teams are still valuing the defense. He is basically a poor man's JD Martinez right now and even then I don't know if that is a good comparison. I think that is a fair contract to offer him,

I hope Berti pans out, even if they platoon him and Isan at 2B. But having a veteran that can play multiple positions in the infield and corner OF would be great.

Wallach is the logical choice for backup but there are still questions on his concussions.
MLBTR isn't a great source. They are OK. They've recently written the Marlins owe Stanton money in 2020 and Chen $22 million in 2020, and that's unarguably wrong based on Stanton not choosing the opt in/out yet post 2020 (best I can tell is, it was a typo for the Castro buyout but I'm not sure) and Chen's money being deferred (MLBTR is using the luxury tax numbers because they are lazy).

I think that ballpark for Castellanos is right, but I can see it being anywhere from 3/$42 to 4/$72. It'll probably land in the middle of that annual value over 4 years, with Boras shooting for a high annual value 3 year deal with the hopes of free agency again or 5 guaranteed years which is the dream for them. We'll see what happens, but I think 4 years over $15-17 per is going to be where it lands right now. Which is fine, especially front loaded which is likely an advantage the Marlins can give as money now versus money in 2023 is a benefit. If they can get him for less, that is fantastic.

5.8 WAR last 2 years and defense did improve in 2019 with his second full year in the OF, and can very likely play him at 1B. I don't care about his defense at all if he's going to average a 2.8 WAR over 4 years. That's surplus value in the bank and a fantastic signing. The rest of the Marlins team (besides Isan) projects as plus defensively. They'll endure.

hovertical

LumberKing
Reaction score
MLBTR isn't a great source. They are OK. They've recently written the Marlins owe Stanton money in 2020 and Chen $22 million in 2020, and that's unarguably wrong based on Stanton not choosing the opt in/out yet post 2020 (best I can tell is, it was a typo for the Castro buyout but I'm not sure) and Chen's money being deferred (MLBTR is using the luxury tax numbers because they are lazy).

I think that ballpark for Castellanos is right, but I can see it being anywhere from 3/$42 to 4/$72. It'll probably land in the middle of that annual value over 4 years, with Boras shooting for a high annual value 3 year deal with the hopes of free agency again or 5 guaranteed years which is the dream for them. We'll see what happens, but I think 4 years over $15-17 per is going to be where it lands right now. Which is fine, especially front loaded which is likely an advantage the Marlins can give as money now versus money in 2023 is a benefit. If they can get him for less, that is fantastic.

5.8 WAR last 2 years and defense did improve in 2019 with his second full year in the OF, and can very likely play him at 1B. I don't care about his defense at all if he's going to average a 2.8 WAR over 4 years. That's surplus value in the bank and a fantastic signing. The rest of the Marlins team (besides Isan) projects as plus defensively. They'll endure.
I believe he'll certainly get over 4/60mil. I really don't see him signing in Miami for 15mil per as I'm sure there will be at least a handful of other teams offering that and with all things considered - why would you want to play for a team that just lost 100+ games when you can go to a competitive team with far more robust fan support at home games? If the Marlins offered something like 4/70-72 I would take that as a far more serious sign they are making a good faith effort to sign a notable FA.

They're going to have to overpay a bit compared to other teams - not by some astronomical amount but it'll likely cost them a bit more. Offering a 4/60 deal is not a legit effort to sign him because he's bound to get that same offer from other teams.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I believe he'll certainly get over 4/60mil. I really don't see him signing in Miami for 15mil per as I'm sure there will be at least a handful of other teams offering that and with all things considered - why would you want to play for a team that just lost 100+ games when you can go to a competitive team with far more robust fan support at home games? If the Marlins offered something like 4/70-72 I would take that as a far more serious sign they are making a good faith effort to sign a notable FA.

They're going to have to overpay a bit compared to other teams - not by some astronomical amount but it'll likely cost them a bit more. Offering a 4/60 deal is not a legit effort to sign him because he's bound to get that same offer from other teams.
Offering him 4/$60 is the textbook definition of a legit attempt to sign him. That's around where he should be, absent some crazy offer from someone else. Also who else is offering that money? Are the Marlins afforded an opportunity to counter in your hypothetical? If three teams offer that and they raise their offer is that satisfying a good faith effort then?

He's also from South Florida and the Marlins do have a lot of hope to sell, even with the 2021 team. Portraying them solely as a 100 loss team is difficult when there is a ton of talent coming. The farm is legitimately deep. Likewise, the Marlins frontloading a deal is a higher value deal than backloading a deal, as money now is worth more than money in 2023. That alone could set them apart if they are smart enough to do it, let alone adding in a few more dollars overall. With no state income tax.

We'll see what happens, but you're being a bit too critical of the Marlins here. We need to see what they'll do. I just want them to be smart with their signings and try and create some value down the road versus them just pocketing money to pay off debt. They need to "build."

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Cubs payroll is probably around $185 million next year, and they need to give Baez and Bryant new deals. They ain’t signing Castellanos.
they are probably moving bryant as it is

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Call up Scott.

Offer up 4/75 for Nick.

Front Load it. Offer an opt out after year 2. Include a vesting option for year 5.

Announce it at the Winter Meetings next month.

taiwanmarlin

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Maybe we sign NiCa (Nicolas Castellanos) to play 1B and sign another really OF (Big Bear).

hovertical

LumberKing
Reaction score
Offering him 4/$60 is the textbook definition of a legit attempt to sign him. That's around where he should be, absent some crazy offer from someone else. Also who else is offering that money? Are the Marlins afforded an opportunity to counter in your hypothetical? If three teams offer that and they raise their offer is that satisfying a good faith effort then?

He's also from South Florida and the Marlins do have a lot of hope to sell, even with the 2021 team. Portraying them solely as a 100 loss team is difficult when there is a ton of talent coming. The farm is legitimately deep. Likewise, the Marlins frontloading a deal is a higher value deal than backloading a deal, as money now is worth more than money in 2023. That alone could set them apart if they are smart enough to do it, let alone adding in a few more dollars overall. With no state income tax.

We'll see what happens, but you're being a bit too critical of the Marlins here. We need to see what they'll do. I just want them to be smart with their signings and try and create some value down the road versus them just pocketing money to pay off debt. They need to "build."
4/60 would be a legit offer from a playoff contender but it would not be a legit attempt from Miami because there's no fan base, the team lost 100 games with no guarantee they'll get better other than the hope prospects continually improve, and the team will likely not be a playoff contender for a few more years. I'm fairly positive there will be multiple teams that offer him 4/60 type deals but with a better chance to be on a better team. If Miami just offers what the other teams are offering then that's not really a legit attempt at signing considering the team still sucks and has zero fan support at games.

It would be a steal if they got him for 4/60 though. Here's hoping it's a slow offseason again like last in terms of offers to the bigger names out there and maybe they could snag him at that price.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom