What's new

Marlins believed to have interest in Castellanos

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
Likewise, the Marlins frontloading a deal is a higher value deal than backloading a deal, as money now is worth more than money in 2023. That alone could set them apart if they are smart enough to do it, let alone adding in a few more dollars overall. With no state income tax.
How many teams are honestly front-loading contracts though? The last one I can remember was the Cardinals doing it with Johnny Peralta. It makes a heck of a lot of sense to do so but I just don't see them doing it.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
4/60 would be a legit offer from a playoff contender but it would not be a legit attempt from Miami because there's no fan base, the team lost 100 games with no guarantee they'll get better other than the hope prospects continually improve, and the team will likely not be a playoff contender for a few more years. I'm fairly positive there will be multiple teams that offer him 4/60 type deals but with a better chance to be on a better team. If Miami just offers what the other teams are offering then that's not really a legit attempt at signing considering the team still sucks and has zero fan support at games.

It would be a steal if they got him for 4/60 though. Here's hoping it's a slow offseason again like last in terms of offers to the bigger names out there and maybe they could snag him at that price.
I don't really agree with any of this but the last sentence, but we can agree to disagree. 4/$60 is a competitive offer and the Marlins have he's from here, no state income tax, possibly frontloaded, etc.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
How many teams are honestly front-loading contracts though? The last one I can remember was the Cardinals doing it with Johnny Peralta. It makes a heck of a lot of sense to do so but I just don't see them doing it.
They don't, and that's why they should do it. They need to create value however they can.

taiwanmarlin

LumberKing
Reaction score

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
What logjam? There's talent but it's never guaranteed so who is Castellanos blocking? Bring him aboard and let the rest of the bunch sort themselves out. It's a good problem to have if you have a logjam of talent.

hovertical

LumberKing
Reaction score
What logjam? There's talent but it's never guaranteed so who is Castellanos blocking? Bring him aboard and let the rest of the bunch sort themselves out. It's a good problem to have if you have a logjam of talent.
1574107152655.png

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
4/60 would be a legit offer from a playoff contender but it would not be a legit attempt from Miami because there's no fan base, the team lost 100 games with no guarantee they'll get better other than the hope prospects continually improve, and the team will likely not be a playoff contender for a few more years. I'm fairly positive there will be multiple teams that offer him 4/60 type deals but with a better chance to be on a better team. If Miami just offers what the other teams are offering then that's not really a legit attempt at signing considering the team still sucks and has zero fan support at games.

It would be a steal if they got him for 4/60 though. Here's hoping it's a slow offseason again like last in terms of offers to the bigger names out there and maybe they could snag him at that price.
You offer and give them a chance to counter offer. If even contenders aren't offering 4/60, you'd want us to pay more just because?

Doesn't seem to happen often these days, but then again, most teams signing guys already have significant contracts on the books in the present, so they sort of have to back load (or "even load") in order to keep payroll under control for given years.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Even if every player they have works out, his competition for PA are all lefties - Lewin, Sanchez, Bleday. This would easily work itself out. There is an easy 500+ PA for Castellanos here. And 2 other guys. And the 4th is probably 400ish. Where's the problem? None of these dudes are Bregman and have to play everyday and I welcome that issue. Verdugo didn't get 400 for the Dodgers last year and he was awesome. Likewise, what if Sanchez can dabble in CF which could be a thing?

Latest posts

Top Bottom