What's new

Marlins better off benching pudge?

vinivedivichi

Muckdog
Reaction score
Whenever Pudge got here we all knew he had a great arm, but everyone has heard the talk about him not being so good as a pitch caller. He is still fairly new with a lot of our pitchers, but if anyone saw the way our pitchers looked with Redmond it is hard to say that pitch selection is insignificant. Even with CJ, I felt that Redmond (and Castro for that matter) was better at working with pitchers, and he is a "Lowell" type professional hitter- if you need to move a runner, or get one in from third, chances are he will get the job done.

I haven't looked at ERA with Redmond vs. Pudge, but I bet that there is a pretty big difference, and the same could probably be said for Redmond vs. CJ last year. I have never really played baseball much, so I don't fully understand these types of subtleties, but it seems to me we pitch better with red behind the plate. Anyone feel we should sacrifice the power for our pitchers??

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Let me quote Josh Beckett:

"Ivan doesn't call the game. I do."

Exactly. Wherever the pitcher wants to put the ball, he will put it. It's just that catchers job to find out where that is so he can be ready for it.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pudge's game calling hasnt been a problem..... The pitcher's have been brilliant over the past 12 or 13 games....

his offense is the problem

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
THe Marlins will never pull Pudge out of the lineup for any length of time.

For one, it will be percieved as an "admission by act" that the FO made a mistake on the cash they spent on him.

Secondly, regardless of how putrid Pudge's season turns out to be he'll be a fan favorite. This, combined with the fact other Marlins are going to start packing pretty soon will leave no choice but to keep him in, lest the fans completely light the bandwagon on fire and roll it off a cliff.

vinivedivichi

Muckdog
Reaction score
Let me quote Josh Beckett:

"Ivan doesn't call the game. I do."

I agree with this, but have you seen our guys "battle" with pudge all game long about pitch selection?? I may be wrong, but it just seems to me our pitchers pitch better with red.

I know we won't bench him, but we may be better off if we did. Is it a coincidence we won 6 in a row w/o him?? Maybe it is, but we sure looked good without him.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pudge shouldnt be benched...(although at times i wish he was)

he should be moved down in the order though

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
So, what do you suggest... sit 10 millions on the bench? The guy is a professional hitter, he will turn this thing around. The catcher needs to know the batter for his game calling, but he is not necessarily the one who decides what the pitcher is going to throw. The pitcher is going to make his own decision while "browsing" through his catcher's pitch selection... well, that was not very clear, was it? hope you get my point :whistle

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
but have you seen our guys "battle" with pudge all game long about pitch selection??
I don't think Pudge stands a chance against our staff... ;) :p :lol

vinivedivichi

Muckdog
Reaction score
I see your point, but all side concerns aside, are we better without Pudge?? I am not totally sure on the baseball side, but when you throw in his cost, hell yeah we are better off.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
The pitcher is going to make his own decision while "browsing" through his catcher's pitch selection... well, that was not very clear, was it? hope you get my point :whistle
I got you. I am a catcher, but not a very good pitch caller. My pitchers shake me off on almost every first signal, and usually tell me what they want more often for each hitter.

At times I've been known to wear a writband with pitches to throw to each hitter on. A 'wristband scouting report" if you will... ;)

It isn't pudge's decision what goes over the plate...He just tries to find out what the pitcher has already decided on...

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
The pitcher is going to make his own decision while "browsing" through his catcher's pitch selection... well, that was not very clear, was it? hope you get my point :whistle
I got you. I am a catcher, but not a very good pitch caller. My pitchers shake me off on almost every first signal, and usually tell me what they want more often for each hitter.

At times I've been known to wear a writband with pitches to throw to each hitter on. A 'wristband scouting report" if you will... ;)

It isn't pudge's decision what goes over the plate...He just tries to find out what the pitcher has already decided on... And I used to be a pitcher... a very stubborn pitcher by the way who wanted the game pitched like he wanted. And when I got hit (sometimes shelled) was always because of my pitch selection. I never blamed the catcher. At the end, it was my decision, right?

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
At the end, it was my decision, right?
As true as that may be, the catcher will always take the blame for you.

Why keep the pitchers self-esteem low when you can fix it just by saying it was you...? Always keep the pitchers confident and ready...

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
If this is such an issue why isn't the bench calling the ptiches?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
in women's college softball they do

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
in women's college softball they do Frank Robinson does it for Barret...

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Actually, it's more common then you think for the bench to call pitches.

Especially with younger pitchers. Sparky Anderson was well known for this, especially with the Tigers. There are a few old stories I remember from my younger days where he called the whole game from the bench.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pitchers make the call not the catcher. If a pitcher tells you " Oh he was calling a bad game" he is lying becuase the pitcher controls the game. Pudge just puts signs down to see what the pitchers wants to throw....

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pitchers make the call not the catcher. If a pitcher tells you " Oh he was calling a bad game" he is lying becuase the pitcher controls the game. Pudge just puts signs down to see what the pitchers wants to throw....
Exactly.

Bottom line. If the pitcher accepts the pitch, thats what HE wants. If he shakes it off, he doesn't...

Top Bottom