What's new

Marlins Bring up Wayne

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Marlins have decided to Bring up Justin Wayne from the minors over Juan Alvarez and Tommy Phelps. I hope he can do god for us in the Pen because our pen has been horrible.

BTW: Wayne is starting in tommorows game against the D-Backs...

C/O Miami Herald

MARLINS NOTEBOOK
Rotation calls for backup
Wayne might start tonight
By KEVIN BAXTER
kbaxter@herald.com

Sunday's game went so long, the Marlins changed their minds about a transaction between batting practice and the final out.

Before the game, manager Jeff Torborg said the club would call up left-handed reliever Tommy Phelps today to take A.J. Burnett's spot on the roster. Burnett, who has an inflamed elbow that will force him to the disabled list for the second time this season, will be examined by orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews today at Birmingham, Ala.

But because the Marlins used up their bullpen and dipped into their rotation to get through Sunday's 20-inning loss, they decided to leave Phelps at Triple A Albuquerque (N.M.) and recall starter Justin Wayne instead.

Torborg said he would decide during Sunday's flight to Phoenix whether Wayne -- 1-1 with a 5.91 ERA in two starts at Albuquerque -- would start tonight at Arizona. Other options include Michael Tejera, who is scheduled to start Wednesday and pitched one-third of an inning Sunday, and Mark Redman, Tuesday's scheduled starter who made 130 pitches Thursday in a complete-game win.

Once the rotation is settled, Torborg expects to bring up Phelps to take Tejera's spot in the bullpen while Tejera fills in for Burnett.

Phelps, 29, started the season with the Marlins, giving up two runs in 3 1/3 innings over four games before being sent down when Burnett came off the DL on April 9.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
do you read?
But because the Marlins used up their bullpen and dipped into their rotation to get through Sunday's 20-inning loss, they decided to leave Phelps at Triple A Albuquerque (N.M.) and recall starter Justin Wayne instead.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope he can do god for us in the Pen because our pen has been horrible.
Did you see yesterdays game?

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope he can do god for us in the Pen because our pen has been horrible.
Did you see yesterdays game? Yea did you see how pavano loss the game for us and Spooney gave up three runs...

Ramp: My bad i was at school i had to do it fast...

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
AJ, yesterdays game was 20 innings, and 13 1/3 were pitched by relievers. Just because the offense couldnt score, that doesnt mean the bullpen is horrible. The bullpen gave up 4 runs in 13 1/3 innings, which equals a 2.70 ERA.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Bullpen did a damn fine job yesterday... I hope Nunez and Neal enjoy their stay at AAA :mischief

Jack1

Oh Gee!! Loria's "favorite" gets the call. How surprising! I personally don't get it. Wayne pitched two games for Albuquerque. His first was just plain awful and the second so so. He still gets called up. I am really getting fed up with the way the Marlins do things.
Does anyone know why Justin Wayne is the owner's favorite? Just curious.

I agree with the callup of Justin Wayne. "Favorite" or not, I like the kid.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Oh Gee!! Loria's "favorite" gets the call.
Its not who is his favorite, Its by who is playing good and what Torborg Decides to do. Torborg makes the call who he is bringing up. Didnt you see last year how he pitched for us. It wasnt great but it was Dam good for a rookie.

I hope he performs very good so he can stay, I really like this young kid and is a future star...

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Oh Gee!! Loria's "favorite" gets the call. How surprising! I personally don't get it. Wayne pitched two games for Albuquerque. His first was just plain awful and the second so so. He still gets called up. I am really getting fed up with the way the Marlins do things.
So my question is.. what do you think the Marlins should do in this situation? Like Admin said.. "Favorite" or not, that kid deserves a damn chance to pitch...

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Marlins needed a starter tonight.

Wayne was schedulded to pitch tonight.

Simple solution.

Get over it.

Jack1

Yup, only time will tell. Torborg is good a destroying pitchers, isn't he? It seems to me that overused his pitchers when he managed the mets.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yup, only time will tell. Torborg is good a destroying pitchers, isn't he? It seems to me that overused his pitchers when he managed the mets.
It was 20 innings! What was he gona do?!?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
you cant argue Jack1, he is one of those "Loria haters"....

if Loria traded for Vlad Guerrero and Barry Bonds, he would say something like" why not ARod or Magglio Ordonez"....

he is a fool

and Jack1, who would you have liked to be called up wise guy?

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm certainly unhappy about AJ, who isn't, but bringing up Justin Wayne was the right choice. If memory serves he pitched reasonably well last season after his first start and perhaps this will be another step for him towards making it to the bigs. I hope it turns out to be a positive experience for him, we'll know better later tonight.

I know its off-topic but I have to express my absolute disgust with yesterday's game. Are there no leaders this team? After the remarkable job done by the bullpen, especially Borland and Levrault (wow), that they couldn't get a guy home from third, twice, speaks volumes about what these guys are made of. Shame on them.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know its off-topic but I have to express my absolute disgust with yesterday's game. Are there no leaders this team? After the remarkable job done by the bullpen, especially Borland and Levrault (wow), that they couldn't get a guy home from third, twice, speaks volumes about what these guys are made of. Shame on them.
You can blame it on DLee and Sea Bass..

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
BTW, does anyone know how Dontrelle Willis is doing? If my memory doesn't fail me, last time I heard he pitched great during Spring Training. I still think that it would be a good idea to make an offer for a one year contract to Chuck Finley, who is still available, is a lefty with tons of experience, and can later take the role of long reliever. I am sure he would pitch better at his 40 years of age than Nu?ez :p

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
Jack1,

Your right Justin Wayne is Loria's favorite. That's why he was put in the Floyd trade and not Josh Karp IMO the better prospect BUT RIGHT WAYNE IS THE RIGHT AND ONLY CHOICE THE MARLINS HAVE BOTTOMLINE...Wayne does nothing to me IMO (poor man Kevin Olsen with a curve ball). He has to be on to be good, if he's off just a little bit, his bad really bad. He one of those guys that just can't get away with a mistake pitch.

Top Bottom