What's new

Marlins, Cabrera fail to work out deal

Lane1974

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Marlins got pitcher Dontrelle Willis to sign on the dotted line, agreeing Monday to a one-year deal worth $6.45 million and avoiding a salary arbitration hearing with the lefty.

But they failed to work out a deal with Miguel Cabrera by today's noon deadline, and the third baseman will likely have his 2007 salary decided in an arbitration hearing.

Unsigned arbitration-eligible players were to exchange salary figures with their teams later today. Historically, the Marlins cease to negotiate with their arbitration-eligible players once the exchange-day deadline has passed, electing instead to have the salary determined through a hearing process.

Cabrera is in his first year of arbitration and is expected to command anywhere from $6 million to $7 million.

The Marlins today managed to reach agreement on a one-year deal with one of their other arbitration-eligible players, catcher Miguel Olivo, but did not do the same with recently acquired reliever Kevin Gregg. The pitcher, like Cabrera, will go before an arbitrator to have his salary determined.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16473119.htm

FlummoxedLummox

It's really in Cabrera's best interest to seek arbitration. There's very little precedent for a player of his caliber, and the Marlins are more than likely low-balling with their offer. Going before the arbitrator sets his price not only this year, but gives him definitive numbers to negotiate with in the upcoming years.

Edit: Dontrelle went to arbitration last year as well. This year he didn't, but was able to use last year's figure to better estimate his value and use that estimation in his negotiations.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's really in Cabrera's best interest to seek arbitration. There's very little precedent for a player of his caliber, and the Marlins are more than likely low-balling with their offer. Going before the arbitrator sets his price not only this year, but gives him definitive numbers to negotiate with in the upcoming years.

Edit: Dontrelle went to arbitration last year as well. This year he didn't, but was able to use last year's figure to better estimate his value and use that estimation in his negotiations.

Dontrelle did not go to arbitration last year. They agreed without going to arbitration.

FlummoxedLummox

Dontrelle did not go to arbitration last year. They agreed without going to arbitration.
Weird. I really thought he went to arbitration last year because I remember being upset about it. But you're right he didn't.

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is not good news. Without knowing the figures, I don't think it's fair to call the Marlins cheap, or to call Cabrera greedy. I think Cabrera will win his arbitration hearing, if say his number is 8-9 million, and the Marlins are at 6 Million.
I don't like the uncertainty. Signing Boone to back up third base, the last place we need any help, doesn't really make sense. It worries me that the Marlins may have a plan to trade Cabs should the arbitration figure come in too high for them, which it likely will.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is not good news. Without knowing the figures, I don't think it's fair to call the Marlins cheap, or to call Cabrera greedy. I think Cabrera will win his arbitration hearing, if say his number is 8-9 million, and the Marlins are at 6 Million.
I don't like the uncertainty. Signing Boone to back up third base, the last place we need any help, doesn't really make sense. It worries me that the Marlins may have a plan to trade Cabs should the arbitration figure come in too high for them, which it likely will.

if that's the case, Loria has no business owning a MLB team. God I'm starting to hate this ownership.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score

As much as I hate to say it, I think you're probably right.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score

If this is right. . . That's probably the biggest self-sabotage blunder on the history of pro sports.

FlummoxedLummox

I really don't see that happening.

I think this has more to do with Cabrera wanting his value to be set by an objective third party. With the outlandish contracts this season, and Cabrera's near unprecedented production up to this point of his career, he stands to set the bar for arbitration cases in the near future. Similar to a player who wants to go out and test the free agent market, Cabrera wants to see what he is worth. Part of it has to do with ego I'm sure, and part of it has to do with his new representation wanting to show the Marlins that they mean business when the time comes to actually negotiate a contract.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score

If this is right. . . That's probably the biggest self-sabotage blunder on the history of pro sports.

This might be their perverted way of saying, "look, we do so bad at Dolphin stadium and need our own retractable roof stadium that we had to trade one of the best players in all of baseball!" Of course, that makes no sense whatsoever when you consider the fact that the payroll wouldn't exceed 30 million even if we paid Miggy 9 million.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
any idea what kind of money gregg is looking at?
I doubt more than $400-600K.

Flamarlins3

Muckdog
Reaction score

if that's the case, Loria has no business owning a MLB team. God I'm starting to hate this ownership.

Starting? :lol

Not really surprised this goes to arbitration...I just wish the Marlins sign this guy to a 6 trillion year deal. He's too good not to be a Marlin for life.

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd love to have Cabs a Marlin forever, but realistically, even with a new stadium, he's a luxury that we can't afford. At least until this market proves itself and the team has a new stadium and a 25K season ticket holder base. In the long run, as long as keeps putting up his current numbers, Cabrera is a 25-35 Million per year player.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not sure about 25-35 million. That would easily make him the highest paid player. More like 20-25.

Top Bottom