What's new

Marlins compiling a managerial list?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
credit: peter gammons at espn.com
Word seems to be out everywhere that the Marlins are compiling a list of managerial candidates should club president David Samson decide to fire Jeff Torborg, whose job is made a lot more difficult with the injury to A.J. Burnett. One sleeper name may be Tampa Bay coach Tom Foley, who is well known to Dan Jennings, the astute scouting director who moved from the Rays to the Phish this winter.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
wasnt tom foley an infielder with the expos in the 80s?

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
you know as much as people harp on bobby valentine....

he has never really been that successful as a major league manager.

would he really be THAT big of an upgrade over Torborg?

Question

and

Why

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think we should get Bobby Valentine. He has done good with the mets just not last season but the other seasons he's been right behind Atlanta's tail! He is a good manager and we should make a run for him. He would be glad to manage our club i know it...

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
There are two schools of thought here.

A) Get a proven manager who has had success on the Major League Level...(upon further review, Bobby Valentine would probably fit into this category)

b) Get a young manager from some organization's minor league system, a guy whom the Marlins feel will be the next 'legendary' manager.

There simply is no room for retreads that have never done a great job in the Majors before...ala Torborg.

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Some Tom Foley info - didn't realize he was a Miami guy - attended Palmetto High School. Take a look:

Bio: Thomas Michael Foley

Born: 9-9-59
Bats: L Throws: R HT: 6'1" WT: 175
Birthplace: Columbus, GA Residence: Palm Harbor, FL
Tenure: This is his 26th season in professional baseball, 7th season in the Devil Rays organization where he has served as a minor league manager, field coordinator and director of minor league operations.
Position: Infielder

Front Office/Coaching Career

Named the Rays' third base coach on October 25, 2001...This will be his first season in a major league uniform since his playing career ended with the Montreal Expos in 1995
Managed in the Arizona Fall League this past season piloting the Maryvale Seguaros.
Served as the Rays field coordinator in 1996 and oversaw the first mini-camp in club history that June following the Rays' first amateur draft...That summer he also managed at Butte (MT), the Rays' entry in the Pioneer Rookie League...Led the club to a 37-35 record, a postseason berth and was named the league's Manager of the Year.
Stayed on as field coordinator through 1999 and then served as director of minor league operations for two years.

Playing Career

Spent 13 seasons in the major leagues, all in the National League...Was primarily a shortstop with 463 games logged there, but played all 4 infield positions: 1B (61 games), 2B (385), 3B (90)...Also played one game in the outfield and pitched in a game.

Personal

Married Marta Wright on August 28, 1981...The couple has three children: Bryan (3-14-84), Brett (9-26-86) and Brooke (10-12-90).
Graduated from Palmetto High School in Miami where he was an ambidextrous athlete, throwing righthanded as a shortstop and lefthanded as a football quarterback...Also attended Dade South Community College in Miami.
As a youth, spent four years in Japan as his father was in the U.S. Army...Also lived in France and Hawaii.

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah, Foley went to my alma mater, Palmetto High. Go Panthers!

LiLLaz#8

I heard the white sox might get bobby valentine and also i heard bobby valentine said he doesn't know if he wants to come back this season. :banghead

MarlinsFans46

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd still like to see Fredi Gonzalez as manager, although I doubt we could take him away from the Braves.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd like to know what the front office is waiting for? I would have fired Torborg within the first week :mischief

Top Bottom