What's new

Marlins could lose two affiliates

Bret Hart

No.1 Korean Fish Fan
Reaction score
I agree with abolition of Short A whose term was too short.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I haven't read into this much but what happens to those teams if they lose the affiliation. Do they go out of business or do they possibly become independent league teams?

el_gmac

I don't like Mike Hill and Jeter
VIP
Reaction score
The question is what about all those players still developing ? they all move straight to single A ? that's a a lot of prospects.

Michael

Jumbo Shrimp
VIP
Reaction score
The question is what about all those players still developing ? they all move straight to single A ? that's a a lot of prospects.
A, A+, or AA I'm sure, yeah.

Realistically so many of these minor league players won't make it beyond whatever level they were at last. I can see this as a positive - the talent pool gets shrunk and lumped closer together. So now instead of your top prospects facing sub-par opposition, they're now more likely to match up with another top prospect for a different organization. Teams can get a better feel for each player this way, IMO.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
I haven't read into this much but what happens to those teams if they lose the affiliation. Do they go out of business or do they possibly become independent league teams?
I don't know the definitive answer but one article I saw made it sound like the teams would go out of business but that makes no sense because why would they? They would lose affiliation with MLB teams but who says the teams couldn't just keep playing games separate from MLB affiliation? There are plenty of teams out there with no affiliations and they exist just fine.

el_gmac

I don't like Mike Hill and Jeter
VIP
Reaction score
many of the teams will disappear to oblivion and some will stay independent

Italian Marlins Fan

Marlins Circus Show ?
Reaction score
So if this happens, the Marlins will only have

- Wichita (AAA)
- Jacksonville (AA)
- Jupiter (A)

Is that correct?

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
This contraction is absolutely insane and is hitting my area especially hard.

Clinton IA (about 45 min away form me) is a hole of a city but the team and stadium has been around forever. The team in Burlington IA (about 2 hours from me) has had a team there for like 130 years and would hit the town hard.

The biggest nonsense of it all is the fact that the team in my town, Quad Cities River Bandits, is being contracted. It is the best low level minor league stadium in the country and they've spent a lot rebuilding it. Yet the shithole that is Beloit gets to stay?? Absolutely Ridiculous

Last edited:

marlinsmaniac

Muckdog
Reaction score
This contraction is absolutely insane and is hitting my area especially hard.

Clinton IA (about 45 min away form me) is a hole of a city but the team and stadium has been around forever. The team in Burlington IA (about 2 hours from me) has had a team there for like 130 years and would hit the town hard.

The biggest nonsense of it all is the fact that the team in my town, Quad Cities River Bandits, is being contracted. It is the best low level minor league stadium in the country and they've spent a lot rebuilding it. Yet the shithole that is Beloit gets to stay?? Absolutely Ridiculous

I’m assuming someone could switch their affiliate to that stadium/city at some point right? I’m sure a stadium that nice won’t go to waste

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
That's true, affiliates do switch occasionally so the other teams mostly need to stay open or there will be no teams to switch to.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
They are going about this so fucking wrong.

Basically all teams in Montana are gone. All teams I believe in the Appalachia region are gone.

And those people still cant get streaming deals due to blackouts.

its a fucked up situation and I guarantee you MLB will make it far worse.

As far as # of affiliates, its a moot point. Every organization will have the same # of minor league affiliates.

I think its stupid and bad for the game bigly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom