What's new

Marlins Discussing new stadium

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Check it out...the marlins are meeting with Alex Penelas....

C/O: Miami Herald

Marlins president meets with Penelas to discuss future, stadium
BY BARRY JACKSON
bjackson@herald.com

Marlins president David Samson and Miami-Dade Mayor Alex Penelas on Monday discussed the team's future and briefly touched on the franchise's interest in a new stadium. But the Marlins are not expected to begin an earnest pursuit of a new facility for several months.

Penelas saw Samson at a Marlins game over the weekend and invited him to a meeting Monday, said Javier Soto, Penelas' chief of staff.

''The Marlins reiterated their commitment to keeping the franchise in South Florida and told the mayor they are starting to put together something tangible'' as far as a new stadium plan, Soto said.

Samson downplayed discussion of a stadium and said the meeting was designed more to ''reiterate our commitment'' to South Florida.

Consultants hired by baseball are studying potential stadium options for the Marlins, but Samson said he wasn't sure when pursuit of a new stadium would begin.

Soto said no financing plans or sites were discussed, although the Marlins prefer a site with ``proximity to public transit.''

Penelas did not indicate in the meeting whether the county could offer to help finance a stadium, Soto said. But earlier Monday, county manager Steve Shiver said Miami-Dade has a $30 million budget shortfall and expects the situation to worsen because of budget cuts in Tallahassee.

''The mayor wants the county to play a constructive role,'' Soto said. ``We'll talk when they have more in terms of details.''

Miami city commissioner Johnny Winton said the Marlins are wise to hold off on the pursuit of a stadium because no public money is available. Broward County officials previously confirmed lack of financing sources for a ballpark.

orisha

Muckdog
Reaction score
penelas has said he's running for the senate next, so i wouldn't think that's a reason.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I just wnat Penelas to get us a new stadium, i think we will have double the crowd we have now. Lets just hope all this is true about getting a new stadium...

Top Bottom