What's new

Marlins getting props from A's fan.

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Originally posted by LafayettePaul
Why isn?t ramon catching? Is he hurt? I can?t believe they?d pair mulder with melhuse.
Of course, ramon probably doesn?t know the marlins hitters except for I-rod, but he does know mulder.

Did anybody see mulder on the tube today? besides throwing fat or flat pitches, what happened to him?

I looked at the marlins batting stats this morning before the game and it showed:

6 Marlins batting 290 and above.
One guy with 18 hrs
one 259 hitter with 10 hrs
And I-rod who gets no respect these days, but who does have 6 hrs
Plus leading everyone in stolen bases
And throwing three pretty-fair country pitchers at us, including the Encinal kid who throws missiles.

also the mercury today noted that the Marlins pitchers have as many home runs as ?menechino, piatt, and dye? combined.

How is this team in last place and behind the injury-ridden Mets?

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's true. Statistically speaking we really should be better than our record shows. Everyone except Pudge and Lee are at .290 or better. That's 6 out of 8 position players. And even Pudge and Lee are starting to hit.

Our starting pitching, despite injury after injury has done a fantastic job. Maybe not as well as we hoped going into the season, but with all the injuries they've gone through I couldn't ask for much more. The only guy who couldn't come through is Justin Wayne.

The bullpen, well they've been up and down. Lost a few games, maybe we'd be 2 or 3 games better in the standings without meltdowns by Nunez, Neal, and Almanza.

Take 2 games from Wayne, 2 or 3 from the pen, and we'd probably be right at .500 again. I still think we could be better. Everything has to click at the same time with this team it seems. We've wasted great outings by our starters plenty of times. The bullpen hasn't done the job at times. Starting pitchers can't stay healthy.

June has historically been the best month for this franchise. They actually have a winning record overall since the team's inception. Maybe this will be the one to get us going.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
How is it the Marlins are in last place behind the Mets when their stats are better than the A's in alot of categories?

Easy... Would you rather play ATL, Philly and the 'Spos 19 times each or the Angels, Rangers and Mariners?

Aside from the M's, the AL West is absolute trash compared to the NL East. I'd even be willing to bet that if you put the Fish in the AL Central or the NL West they'd probably be in 1st or 2nd.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
How is it the Marlins are in last place behind the Mets when their stats are better than the A's in alot of categories?

Easy... Would you rather play ATL, Philly and the 'Spos 19 times each or the Angels, Rangers and Mariners?

Aside from the M's, the AL West is absolute trash compared to the NL East. I'd even be willing to bet that if you put the Fish in the AL Central or the NL West they'd probably be in 1st or 2nd.
Well, not really. The reason the marlins are in last place is because they dont hit when it counts, with runners in scoring position. I mean how do you expect to win any games when you dont take advantage of good situations? Another thing no matter how good the staff is right now it could have being way better without all those injuries. If the marlins could have done this two basic things since the start they would be in contention right now.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah, you are right. I'd much rather play the Phillies, Braves and Expos than the Tigers, Tribe, and White Sox.

San Diego, Colorado and Arizona are pretty tough so far, too. I'd much rather face the NL East.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah, you are right. I'd much rather play the Phillies, Braves and Expos than the Tigers, Tribe, and White Sox.

San Diego, Colorado and Arizona are pretty tough so far, too. I'd much rather face the NL East.
I agree with your comment.. it's kinda like the AL East, with the Yankees, Red Sox, and now the Blue Jays...

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Bobby V also spoke highly of the Marlins last evening on Baseball Tonight.

I truly believe this team is poised to make a run. The talent is in place...some solid contributors have emerged in Phelps, Willis and Banks. If our batting with RISP improves and Beckett comes back healthy...things might be very interesting this summer.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Statistically speaking we really should be better than our record shows.
Well, if we put up stats like last night for a week or two, we'll see where we end up...

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
If our batting with RISP improves and Beckett comes back healthy...things might be very interesting this summer.
Looks like no Beckett until July now.... :(

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Umm...Penny has 2, Willis has 1, and I'm not sure...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
i think thats it.... Tejera hit one last year, and AJ has before, so has Vlad Nunez

Pavano has a triple this year

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Tejera hit one last year
Was at that game...

Against the Phillies Brandon Duckworth in the Third inning, Put into RF...

Pavano has a triple this year

I was there for the Pavano triple too...Against the Braves Russ Ortiz in the fourth inning, put it all the way down the RF line into the corner, and Sheffy bobbled it.

Top Bottom