Marlins have 3rd hurt starter in Beckett

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Credit: Associated Press/ESPN.com

Wednesday, May 7
Team schedules elbow exam for Beckett
Associated Press

MIAMI -- The Florida Marlins, who already have two starting pitchers on the disabled list, lost right-hander Josh Beckett to an elbow injury Wednesday night.

Beckett was pulled from the 3-2 loss to San Francisco after one inning because he felt discomfort in his elbow.

After Beckett was examined by team physician Dr. Dan Kanell, the Marlins hastily scheduled an appointment for the right-hander Thursday with orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala.

Andrews performed reconstructive elbow surgery April 29 on another young Marlins right-hander, A.J. Burnett, who may be sidelined until 2005. Left-hander Mark Redman broke the thumb on his pitching hand the same day and likely will be out until late this month.

"I didn't think it could happen again," manager Jeff Torborg said. "Unfortunately it has."

Beckett threw 28 pitches in his only inning against the Giants, including more curveballs than usual. His fastball topped out at 96 mph, but he walked Benito Santiago with the bases loaded and left trailing 1-0.

"He wanted to keep pitching," Torborg said. "I said, 'Uh-uh. I'm not fooling with this.' "

Beckett said he has been bothered by stiffness and tenderness in his elbow since a start in Philadelphia on April 15. He downplayed the symptoms in discussions with the training staff -- until Wednesday night.

"It has been an ongoing deal," he said. "I don't think it's that bad. Hopefully I miss five days and I'm back at it."

Beckett, 22, has never had elbow trouble. He had tendinitis in his right shoulder as a minor leaguer in 2000, and he spent three stints on the disabled list last year because of recurring blisters on the middle finger of his pitching hand.

Beckett is 2-3 with a 3.76 ERA in eight starts.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
for the love of God,

please oh please....

dont make this a serious injury.....

what a week this has been.... :confused :(

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why Are we getting so much people hurt. These strengh and conditioning coaches are not doing there job! We got to get those Elbows and shoulder well strenghed. Now who are they going to call up if Beckett it injured. The only chance will be Bump. Are team is full with minors because of injuries. Now this time am convinced, Torborg gots to be fired....

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Beckett said it's been bothering him since an April start but he hid it from the coaches. WHY OH WHY do pitchers keep this stuff hidden? It's your %$!*&@# career we're talking about here you fool! An injury can only get WORSE by you not getting it addressed & taken care of as soon as possible! I know Josh only wants to pitch his tail off & help the team, but keeping things from the trainers hurts yourself and the team too.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why Are we getting so much people hurt. These strengh and conditioning coaches are not doing there job! We got to get those Elbows and shoulder well strenghed. Now who are they going to call up if Beckett it injured. The only chance will be Bump. Are team is full with minors because of injuries. Now this time am convinced, Torborg gots to be fired....
Torborg gots to be fired

Well maybe he does gots to be...

but please don't tell me you're putting the blame for these injuries on Jeff Torborg.

Now I've heard it all.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
People....

As much I love to hate on Torborg....

This is not his fault.

You cannot blame EVERYTHING on him.

If you want to complain about his management of his roster...fine.

But what do you want Torborg to do? He took out Beckett as soon as he discovered there was a problem....

What do you expect Torborg to do? Read minds?

He cant even read his own, much less his players.

scotgif

Muckdog
Reaction score
I just can not understand why the Marlins pitchers are injured so much.

Is it a conditioning thing?

Is it just plain old bad luck?

Whatever it is, it just seems to happen ewery year.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why couldn't we have had the good fortune that Oakland had? They found 3 gems in Zito, Hudson, and Mulder, all of them have been healthy, and all of them have been pretty dominant. With the state of baseball in South Florida, it sure seems like we deserve better luck.... :banghead

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well Das if their is a conditioning problem in The Marlins staff it is his problem.

*Looks at The Demon*

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Just heard on CBS-4 that Beckett was placed on the 15-day DL with a sprained elbow. Orginally, the Marlins had planned on going on a 4-man rotation the next two weeks because we have two off days. The original plan was to have Beckett, Penny, Pavano, and Willis start, Tejera going back to the pen, and sending Phelps or Alvarez back to AAA. My guess is that now Penny, Pavano, Willis, and Tejera will start, and both Alvarez and Phelps will stay.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
credit:espn.com
MIAMI -- For a change, the injury-plagued Florida Marlins received good news from the doctor Thursday.

Right-hander Josh Beckett's arm ailment was diagnosed as an elbow sprain, and he'll be allowed to resume throwing in a week.

"I would put that as encouraging and good news," general manager Admin Beinfest said.

Beinfest said it was too soon to project when Beckett will make his next start, and he'll be placed on the 15-day disabled list. But MRI results could have been worse, as the Marlins know firsthand.

Last month they lost another young right-hander, A.J. Burnett, to season-ending reconstructive elbow surgery. A third starter, lefty Mark Redman, is sidelined at least two more weeks with a broken thumb.

Beckett was examined in Birmingham, Ala., by orthopedist Dr. James Andrews, who operated on Burnett. The appointment was hastily scheduled after Beckett pitched just one inning Wednesday night against San Francisco because of elbow discomfort.

After the game -- the Marlins' fifth loss in a row -- Beckett acknowledged that his arm had bothered him since mid-April, and he had misled team trainers and the coaching staff by saying little about his symptoms. Beinfest said he hopes Beckett will be more frank in the future.

"I did say to him, 'If something is bothering you, you need to disclose that to medical staff,' " Beinfest said.

Manager Jeff Torborg said he understood Beckett's reluctance to admit that his arm hurt.

"There's a happy medium between a guy who wants to be the hero, and a guy who doesn't want to take the ball," Torborg said.

While the Marlins were relieved by the diagnosis regarding Beckett, they still must scramble for a rotation replacement. Left-hander Dontrelle Willis will make his major-league debut Friday against Colorado, and left-handed reliever Tommy Phelps will likely take Beckett's start Monday at San Diego.

Phelps has never started in the majors, and his most recent minor league start was in 2001.

The Marlins have also been without their leading hitter, shortstop Alex Gonzalez, who was held out of the lineup for a third consecutive night Thursday with a sprained right wrist.

"It would be easy to feel sorry for yourself," Beinfest said. "Certainly we've had a run of bad luck in the last seven to 10 days. We're going to test the resolve of this team right now. In the middle of May we're going to find out what we're made of, and I expect us to step up. Things do turn around, and I think they will here."

Beckett, who turns 23 on May 15, has never had elbow trouble. As a minor leaguer in 2000 he had tendinitis, a slightly torn labrum and an impingement and fraying of the rotator cuff in his right shoulder. Last year he spent three stints on the disabled list because of recurring blisters on the middle finger of his pitching hand.

This season Beckett is 2-3 with a 3.76 ERA in eight starts.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
credit:cincypost.com
Dempster suffering from Marlin Macho-ism....Too
Reds right-hander Ryan Dempster says the discomfort in his pitching arm, which kept him from getting a solid grip on the ball and will now keep him from making his scheduled start tonight against Milwaukee, has plagued him since midway through spring training. That he said nothing to the team medical staff, or to pitching coach Don Gullett or to manager Bob Boone, until a few days ago can be simply chalked up to the typical, macho mindset of a professional athlete who refuses to give in to pain.

Or can it?

"To a point," Gullett said. "But it's all about doing what's right, number one, for you as an individual, and two, for the ballclub."

And in his past two starts, during which he walked 11 batters in 6 2/3 innings, Dempster clearly was hurting the ballclub. Which is why he finally told the training staff about the discomfort he was feeling, and why he finally underwent an MRI on Wednesday that showed the problem was originating in a neck nerve. At any rate, Dempster can be forgiven for trying to gut it out as long he did, because that is the ballplayer's way.

"You pitch every fifth day, and you rarely go out there, maybe only five times a year, when you feel perfect," Boone said. "All these guys are trained to pitch around the fact that they don't feel great. I don't think he was lying. I think he just finally got to a point where he was like, OK, I can't explain this, we've got to find out what's going on. He didn't admit anything after the Colorado thing (six walks in the second inning two starts ago). But when you can usually throw the ball where you want, and suddenly you can't, that's a pretty good warning sign."

Both Boone and Gullett said there was a direct correlation between Dempster's nerve problem and his wildness.

"No question," Boone said. "What I know from watching all these years is that you can disguise an arm problem with velocity, but that doesn't mean you can make it go where you want it to go. It's all about location."

Gullett said Dempster will play catch today. If he feels fine Saturday, a determination will be made at that time as to when Dempster will throw his next side session, which Gullett said will come no earlier than Sunday. Dempster, who is missing a start for the first time in his major-league career, conceivably could make his next one as early as next week's series in St. Louis, probably in Thursday's finale because that's the next time his regular turn will come up.

"The whole key is going to be whether his slider comes back," Gullett said. "Certainly, that's the pitch he's known for. But he has to have a feel for it."

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
What is it with this Macho-ism? Isn't it better to cut the Macho-ism crap and think about your damn career?!?!?

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
When you're an athelete, it's ground into you since childhood to play through pain. In other sports when you sit out because of nagging injuries, you're a sissy and fans don't think you're tough enough. Baseball is different but I think the same elements are there.

It's like Bob Boone says in the article, pitchers only get to go out there every 5 days or so, and even then they rarely feel their best. So really most of their outings they are uncomfortable out there for one reason or another. I think they just feel if they quit every time they feel a nagging little injury that they'll never get to pitch.

I agree with you though, it really just ends up hurting the team in the long run, and they're putting their own career at risk.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ryan has had very bad career with his new team the Reds! He isnt throwing strikes and when he is they play some Batting practice on him all game. I dont think he feels comftable there....

Top Bottom