What's new

Marlins have to learn how to win!

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hate the Phillies but I respect them. Why? because I want my team to play with that desire. Making every pitch count mean something. Every swing or out mean something. That's what the Phillies have and Admin Bowe make them know it. You know what I hear everytime the Marlins are in a pressure situation a su@kion noise coming from there a$$ and saw dust blowing near the plate. They want to win so bad that they just can't realize. The Phillies own us and man I hate to say that as deadhard fan. As man and a pro, the Marlins should take that statement to heart because it strikes your manhood to know your some teams' b%#&%. Harsh words but it's the truth.

Learning to win takes all guys on the team to commitment to doing it, if one except losing then all them will lose. It's like a cancer. I just hope the leaders on this team don't let that happen or it'll be a long season. AND NO ITS NOT TOO EARLY WHEN YOU SEE A TREND.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think we need an intense manager like Lou... Torborg seems to soft on the players with the "Yea, I know we lost but tomorrow is another day and maybe we'll win with [pitcher's name] on the mound"...

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
I agree with you. I also hate the phillies but you have to respect their desire to win. The Marlins, like always, lack the killing instinct and this has been a constant throughout the last 5 years. They either give up to easily, or expect their pitcher to be Cy Young night in and night out, or they want to do so much and hit the ball out of the park that, at the end, they do nothing.

Great teams are not always the best in every category. For example, take the Angels last year. Now, point out somebody from their starting rotation who has the potential that AJ, Penny, and Beckett (even Redman) have. The best thing they have is Washburn, period. Appier looks like he is 99 years old, Lackey does not have the experience, and Ortiz wins today and loses tomorrow. However, they won the World Series. Another example, and this may be a very bad example :)... look at the yankees. They don't have Jeter, their SS is a rookie out of AA ball, Mariano Rivera is in the DL, Contreras is pitching pumpkins, Stanton is across town with the mets and Mendoza sold his soul to Boston and their no-closer theory, Clemens is 40 and counting (and pitching great), and their closer right now is Juan Acevedo for Christ's sake! Yet, they are 11 and 1!

I am not a yankees fan, but I admire their killing instinct. I hate the phillies, but I love their commitment to win. I hate the braves, but I respect them. (I simply despise the Mets and would never even consider respecting them though). And I would just like to see the same spark of life and killing instinct plus chemistry that made the 97 team one of the best teams in baseball in this team... [one can only hope :)]

Foggy Doggy

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Marlins have this obsession with winning with pitching, yet if you look at the Angles, they didn't win with their great pitching, but with their bats.

We don't have one legitimate 30 + HR hitter (except possibly IRod), and that will be the downfall yet again. The Phillies have at least 3 in their lineup (Thome, Burrell & Abreu), and we need to stop this fussing around with pitching and get with the hitting.

Also brining in the outfield fence from 434 would help too.

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
"The Marlins have this obsession with winning with pitching, yet if you look at the Angles, they didn't win with their great pitching, but with their bats."

yeah your right but not the big HR pop

"We don't have one legitimate 30 + HR hitter (except possibly IRod), and that will be the downfall yet again. The Phillies have at least 3 in their lineup (Thome, Burrell & Abreu), and we need to stop this fussing around with pitching and get with the hitting."

I don't agree, first you compare us to the Angels who had Glaus(30HR in 2002) and Anderson (29HR in 2002)as that 30HR guys. Florida has one guy who came close last season in Lee(27HR in 2002) but two 25HR guys Lowell (24HR in 2002)and J. Encarnacion(24HR in 2002) Pudge is a 30HR guy. So what was your point again? I guess you base the Angels as a power hitting team because they have Tim Salmon (22HR) or is it Brad Fuller(19HR) no no I know it that 1B power hitter Scott Spiezio(12 HR). I understand everybody(local media people) says something stupid and everbody takes it without looking at the numbers.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Look, the Phillies just have a better hitting team than we do, plain and simple. We have to beat them with solid pitching which was evident tonight. The last two games we got decent outings by the pitchers and it wasn't enough. Our offense for the most part is not going to be able to outslug teams, IMO.

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
We need good solid contact hitters who hit the ball hard day in, day out...Phillies have that in excess...their bats make things happen...You cant rely on pitching when the offense is weak...You can't beat the best teams 2-1 every night...you need guys who can hit, hit, HIT!!!!!!!!

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
the thing is Cyggy.....

this team is pretty good at making contact

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
The last two games, and really the entire series against Philly has been good to see. The starting pitching seems to be coming around. Even in AJ's rough outing, he still kept the team in the game. I was very happy to see the team come back & split the series after losing both AJ and Beckett's starts.

Top Bottom