Muckdog
Reaction score
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...rlins_0415.html

Marlins' bats lead league
Click-2-Listen
By Tom D'Angelo

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, April 15, 2007

ATLANTA ? First baseman Mike Jacobs was sitting with a group of teammates following the Marlins' first series of the season when they started talking about hitting.

"We laughed about it," Jacobs said. "We said, 'Man, it's like a light switch went on.' I know you can't just turn it off and on in this game. That's what it looks like."

If this is a light switch, the Marlins must be powering the entire East Coast.

The Marlins - whose game at Atlanta was rained out Saturday - entered the day leading the National League with a .295 average, 60 runs, 104 hits, 178 total bases, 29 doubles, six triples and 59 RBI; and were second with 11 home runs.

Miguel Cabrera led the league with a .429 average; Hanley Ramirez was eighth at .345; and Jacobs ninth at .343. Cabrera leads the league with 13 RBI, 31 total bases, a .543 on-base percentage and .886 slugging percentage.

The Marlins (6-4) hope those bats don't cool off after Saturday's postponement. The game will be made up, likely as part of a day-night double-header, when the team returns to Atlanta June 4-6.

"When you look at what guys did last year, the way we are hitting shouldn't be that surprising," outfielder Joe Borchard said. "At the same time, timing is so important and it just seemed to start happening for us at the right time."

This is the same team that hovered around .200 much of spring training and finished last in the majors in run production during the spring.

But manager Fredi Gonzalez never wavered in his belief that his team would hit when it counted.

"I thought we always were going to swing the bats," Gonzalez said. "I thought the approaches were there. Some guys, when the lights come on, they become better hitters."

Gonzalez insists the low spring training averages never were a concern, especially with a team whose core players predominantly are in their second years and were not worried about winning roster spots. The rookie manager's main priority was finding out how many at-bats his regulars preferred during the spring.

"I wanted to see what they were most comfortable with," Gonzalez said.

Borchard was one of the few players who had a solid spring, hitting .283.

"The longer you're around, the more often you see those kinds of things," Borchard said of the silent spring bats. "You really have to pay attention to how guys are hitting the ball, the quality of the at-bats. Oftentimes, that doesn't show up in the box score."

Jacobs, Josh Willingham and Cody Ross all hit under .200 during the spring. Jacobs had 13 hits in 21 games. He is 12-for-35 after nine regular-season games.

But Jacobs was not worried, knowing he was hitting into the wind in a pitchers' park (Roger Dean Stadium) for most of the spring.

"I know I hit some balls during spring training that were to left field that didn't go anywhere," Jacobs said. "A lot of guys were having really good at-bats, but not a lot to show for it. The wind blew in every single day."

Ramirez has been the catalyst. The leadoff batter scored three runs in Friday's 11-4 rout of the Braves, reaching base three times on two hits and a walk. He entered Saturday' tied for second in the league in runs scored with 11, despite missing three games.

The Marlins averaged three runs in the games Ramirez missed and 7.3 in the seven games that he has played.

"We got guys at the beginning who are pretty unbelievable," Jacobs said. "At three, four and five, there's a lot of opportunities for us. Any time we can get Hanley and (Dan) Uggla on base, we're in good shape

Reaction score
Overall it's not truly surprising based on how we did last year. Jacobs and Hermida were constantly inured and the only true hole in the line up wa Reggie, which De Aza plugged up with cement. :thumbup

Now if the SP can keep on par again cause the BP seems pretty reliable.

Marlins2010

Muckdog
Reaction score
After checking stats again on espn it looks like a few teams have passes us in some hitting categories, but they have played one or two more games than us. Doesnt matter much, 2nd or 3rd place is still really awesome

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
And stats don't really mean that much in April

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
If Jacobs progresses the way we believe he will, Uggla and Willingham maintain last season's numbers, Cabrera turns into Albert Pujols, Hermida puts up a decent season, and De Aza can simply be average, we will have a top 5 lineup in all of baseball. And the likelyhood of all that happening is certainly high.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wild Card... I am not sure about Julio in your sig. Oh and also Pinto is a Pimpo

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wild Card... I am not sure about Julio in your sig. Oh and also Pinto is a Pimpo

I think he'll do alright without all that pressure on his shoulders.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
Leading the league in hitting on April 15th.

Start engraving the World Series rings baby!!!!!!!!

:geek

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
If Jacobs progresses the way we believe he will, Uggla and Willingham maintain last season's numbers, Cabrera turns into Albert Pujols, Hermida puts up a decent season, and De Aza can simply be average, we will have a top 5 lineup in all of baseball. And the likelyhood of all that happening is certainly high.
There's a whole bunch of people who don't see Mike Jacobs reaching that next tier of 1B. No one knows what Hermida's issues are these days. He is a headcase who cannot stay healthy. And as awesome as Cabs is, asking him to become Pujols is alot, even for him. There's also a whole lot of people who believe that De Aza comes crashing down to Earth. Obviously no one wants that, but before this spring training and first 10 games of the season, he never lit the world on fire in the minors.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score

There certainly are a whole lot of ifs (and improbable ones at that)...I don't see how you can say that it's "highly likely" to happen.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
There's a whole bunch of people who don't see Mike Jacobs reaching that next tier of 1B. No one knows what Hermida's issues are these days. He is a headcase who cannot stay healthy. And as awesome as Cabs is, asking him to become Pujols is alot, even for him. There's also a whole lot of people who believe that De Aza comes crashing down to Earth. Obviously no one wants that, but before this spring training and first 10 games of the season, he never lit the world on fire in the minors.

Such an uplifting post :lol

bbmom

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cabs will be better than Pujols you can" book that". the guy can hit blindfolded. Doesn't matter what that whole bunch of people THINK Jake will do, it only matters what HE thinks he will do. As for Hermida don't know where you get that he is a headcase. Confidence is a powerful thing and right now De Aza has that, you will be surprised what he can do. I always like to read the factual stuff on this board not someone that thinks he has a crystel ball and can predict the future as to what a player will and won't do. But being that your post seems to imply you have the crystel ball, thought I would add what my crystel ball indicates.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Cabs and Pujols will produce amazing stats, almost like Mays and Mantle except they will greatly be surpassed stats-wise. Mantle had the alcohol and the injuries, Mays number were shortened by his military service. They both may produce numbers never before imagined

Top Bottom