What's new

Marlins notes from the Herald

wanks1212

Muckdog
Reaction score
Marlins chatter:

? Blessed with quality, young starting pitching, the Marlins have more on the way. Not only does general manager Admin Beinfest rate his top prospects as highly as his current group, but Marlins advisor/ex-manager JackMcKeon said the 2006 starting staff at Single A Greensboro (N.C.) -- Chris Volstad, Aaron Thompson, Ryan Tucker, Sean West and Brett Sinkbeil -- ``is probably the best group of starters of any team I've seen in my career.''

All were drafted among the first 44 picks in 2005, except Sinkbeil (19th overall last year). Three are ranked among BaseballAmerica's top 100 prospects -- Volstad 40th, Sinkbeil 77th and West 96th. West could miss the season after shoulder surgery. The others will open at Single A Jupiter. ''All have potential to be good major-league pitchers,'' said McKeon, who has watched them a lot.

But the top prospect closest to the majors is Gaby Hernandez, acquired in the Paul LoDuca/Mets trade. ''We may see him sooner than later,'' manager Fredi Gonzalez said. ''He's got the whole package.'' Beinfest is high on Rick Vanden Hurk.

Many of the organization's best emerging relievers ( Taylor Tankersley, RenyelPinto, Henry Owens and MattLindstrom) will be on the team, but Florida still has high hopes for potential closer Carlos Martinez, expected back from elbow surgery this summer. And watch for Harvey Garcia, acquired in the Josh Beckett/Boston deal (21 saves, 2.92 ERA at Jupiter).

Beinfest won't trade his top pitching prospects for offense: ``We scored enough runs to win last year. The offense wasn't a problem.''

? Robert Andino, stuck behind Hanley Ramirez at shortstop, reminded Gonzalez he played center field in high school, and Beinfest said, ''It's actually not a bad idea'' when a fan at a town hall meeting encouraged the Marlins to move him there. But the Marlins say they won't -- they love his glove at shortstop.

? Florida's top position prospects still are a ways away: first baseman Gaby Sanchez, third baseman Chris Coghlan and outfielder Kris Harvey. . . . Gonzalez suggests he'll be patient if Mike Jacobs (.182 vs. lefties last season) struggles against them early: ''He's our guy. I will give him every opportunity.'' But Aaron Boone will play against some tough lefties. . . . Miguel Cabrera, criticized when his weight approached 260 early last season, said he's back to 245 and eating healthy. . . . There is no Marlin more openly confident than Scott Olsen: ``I tell you right now -- I can win 20.''

? Will Gonzalez drive us nuts and sacrifice bunt early in games, as Joe Girardi did? ''Depends'' on both pitchers, he said. ``If you've got a guy who can hold a two-run lead and you're going against JohnSmoltz or Barry Zito, then you've got to try to manufacture runs early.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/588/story/52196.html

Would have loved to see them try Andino in CF since, barring injury, he's not getting any PT at SS here anytime soon...but oh well. Likely wouldn't have worked out well anyway.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
wow, that was one boring article that seems like it was written 2 months ago (no offense to you wanks)

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
The offense wasn't a problem

Umm...Admin, last I checked CENTER-FIELD is considered part of the offense.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I forget if it was a boy or girl, but it was kid who suggested Andino in CF.

It was the early season ticketholder TH meeting at FanFest.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I forget if it was a boy or girl, but it was kid who suggested Andino in CF.

It was the early season ticketholder TH meeting at FanFest.
pretty much summed up our offseason

"yuh well uhhh we never thought of that (Andino in CF) before"

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
The offense wasn't a problem

Umm...Admin, last I checked CENTER-FIELD is considered part of the offense.
Last I checked you can't make a blanket claim based on a singular piece

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Love the quote by Jack (got pitching?) and absolutely love Olsen's confidence. He could be one of the really special pitchers.

The bottom 3rd of our lineup will be painful at the beginning of the season.. really gotta hope Hermida comes back soon and comes out firing.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Was Miguel REALLY at 260-pounds at one point?
without question

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Seriously.. Jack has been in baseball, what, 60 years? That's a pretty bold statement (and awesome to hear)

Top Bottom