What's new

Marlins open to signing FA w/ qualifying offers

Michael

Marlin
VIP
Reaction score
Marlins sign Stephen Strasburg, Gerrit Cole, immediately trade them for prospects.

FishFan95

Marlin
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that if you are going to sign one player with a QO, then you should sign multiple. The draft pick compensation loss from the further rounds gets less and less for each signing so it is best to do all of them in the same offseason. It's also best to do it the last year you are expecting to have a protected 1st round pick.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I for one am glad about this. Not sure if others may be upset about it, but I want to see them go after a guy like Ozuna and ignore the compensation factor. It could reduce his market and lower the cost as well.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I for one am glad about this. Not sure if others may be upset about it, but I want to see them go after a guy like Ozuna and ignore the compensation factor. It could reduce his market and lower the cost as well.
I'd be more ok with it if it was next offseason. Might need to hit on a few more draft picks next summer. With that said, which pick would they lose?

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I'd be more ok with it if it was next offseason. Might need to hit on a few more draft picks next summer. With that said, which pick would they lose?
A team that receives revenue sharing will lose its third-highest selection in the following year's Draft. If it signs two such players, it will also forfeit its fourth-highest remaining pick.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
That's not that bad of a loss actually. Especially when our farm has already jumped up as much as it has, maybe we don't need our "third highest pick" as much as we did, say, a year ago.

And yeah maybe it drops the cost as well so it might be to our benefit to strike now.

taiwanmarlin

Jumbo Shrimp
Reaction score
I'm totally agree with this, in the third year of this rebuilding, your strategy should be transfer to "improving the major league team is everything" from the "improving the farm system is everything".

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
I said this to a friend the other day when Ozuna got the QO and Mish was saying count the fish out now...

"They have to show the players and the fans that they are committed to improving the big league club. Every move can't be about stockpiling picks and the future. They have to do something for the present even if they won't compete in 2020. Signing a guy like Ozuna can send a really good message and it would be worth a pick."

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Ozuna is the answer but I wonder what the general opinion would be if he did return since he was one of the "superstars" that we traded away. All those people who swear they hate Jeter for getting rid of their favorites, what would be the reaction if Jeter got one back, especially one as personally likeable as Ozuna?

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Ozuna is the answer but I wonder what the general opinion would be if he did return since he was one of the "superstars" that we traded away. All those people who swear they hate Jeter for getting rid of their favorites, what would be the reaction if Jeter got one back, especially one as personally likeable as Ozuna?
Ozuna had a good 2014 and good 2017. The other years in between he had up and down halfs. IMO he woulnd't be the guy I give up the qualifying offer for. Castellanos or Rendon would be someone I would do that for.

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that if you are going to sign one player with a QO, then you should sign multiple. The draft pick compensation loss from the further rounds gets less and less for each signing so it is best to do all of them in the same offseason. It's also best to do it the last year you are expecting to have a protected 1st round pick.
Agreed.

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
I wonder if Mish will have any response to this development.
I listen to the Swings and Mishes podcast when it comes out weekly. Mish is really open about his opinions. I am sure he will be surprised with the change of direction from the Marlins but I see him taking it in a positive stance.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I listen to the Swings and Mishes podcast when it comes out weekly. Mish is really open about his opinions. I am sure he will be surprised with the change of direction from the Marlins but I see him taking it in a positive stance.
He'll probably say he's happy to be wrong in this case. He's good at admitting when he's wrong too.

rmc523

Wichita
Reaction score
Oh they'd be like "ok! now go get the other ones back! Jeter sucksssss"

Ozuna had a good 2014 and good 2017. The other years in between he had up and down halfs. IMO he woulnd't be the guy I give up the qualifying offer for. Castellanos or Rendon would be someone I would do that for.
Casstellanos doesn't have a QO attached - he was traded midseason.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
Guys. You're reading this wrong. It says the Marlins are testing the waters of the free agent market. We're only running tests and making sure the water is safe for the free agents to drink!
1573226118642.png

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
Guys. You're reading this wrong. It says the Marlins are testing the waters of the free agent market. We're only running tests and making sure the water is safe for the free agents to drink!
Based on our history this is probably accurate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom