What's new

Marlins open to signing FA w/ qualifying offers

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
Oh they'd be like "ok! now go get the other ones back! Jeter sucksssss"

Casstellanos doesn't have a QO attached - he was traded midseason.
Yeah, you're right. I Overlooked that.

IMO if the Marlins were to sign any two of Castellanos, Howie Kendrick, Avisail Garcia that would be a pretty solid offseason.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right. I Overlooked that.

IMO if the Marlins were to sign any two of Castellanos, Howie Kendrick, Avisail Garcia that would be a pretty solid offseason.
I think my good offseason barometer is:

-4 year deal for Castellanos/Ozuna, with money dramatically frontloaded to 2020/2021 to have them on the books cheaper for 2022/2023 when you're theoretically contending (to be able to afford more stuff)
-5 year arbitration buyout for Anderson for around $35 million, with a 6th year team option for $10+. Again, front loaded as much as possible 2020/2021 (and 2022) to deflect against future payrolls to fit in an extra guy down the road
-Keep Urena and Conley in arbitration
-Resign Walker 1/$2
-Resign Romo 1/$3
-Sign another veteran backup IF type with some pop. I think this is someone like Ryon Healy/Brad Miller who doesn't have assured playing time and Miami could give them an easier path to PA - $2+ million
-I am undecided here if they should get an innings eater option and move Urena to the pen, or get another veteran reliever (likely a lefty). Either is fine. Spend around $4 million here (or trade Urena, and spend around $9+ on two pitchers)

That sets up around a $75 million dollar team of this in 2020:

Alfaro, Wallach
Cooper, N. Walker
Isan
Rojas, Berti
Anderson, Healey/Miller type
Ramirez (With Anderson/Cooper chipping in)
Brinson, Sierra (with Berti chipping in)
Castellanos

Sandy, Caleb, Pablo, Urena/Veteran, Yamamoto/Elisier
Romo, Stanek, Steckenrider, Brice, Brigham, Urena/Veteran
Garcia, Conley

Midseason - Lewin, Monte, Sanchez, Sixto, Neidert, Guzman, and more and shed the obvious veterans

And this in 2021 - for also around $75-80 million.

Alfaro, Wallach
L. Diaz, Cooper
Isan
Rojas, Berti
Anderson
Castellanos, Ramirez/Brinson/Other IF CC replacement
Monte, Sierra/Brinson
J. Sanchez

Sandy, Caleb, Pablo, Sixto, Neidert/Cabrera
Guzman, Neidert/Cabrera, Brigham, E. Hernandez, pick one Stanek/Steckenrider/Brice
Garcia, pick 2 Castano/Vesia/Quijada/Stewart/D. Lee

2021 is all internal, but ideally, trading Urena, Conley, Romo again, two of Stanek/Steckenrider/Brice, and whoever else produces upgrades for Wallach and that Ramirez/Brinson/Other spot which should be another IF considering Cooper/Berti/Anderson can pop out there.

2022 payroll will be low $50s with Castellanos and Anderson secured for cheap for awhile and time to then REALLY spend to have luxury upgrades

EricOwens!

LumberKing
Reaction score
I think my good offseason barometer is:

-4 year deal for Castellanos/Ozuna, with money dramatically frontloaded to 2020/2021 to have them on the books cheaper for 2022/2023 when you're theoretically contending (to be able to afford more stuff)
-5 year arbitration buyout for Anderson for around $35 million, with a 6th year team option for $10+. Again, front loaded as much as possible 2020/2021 (and 2022) to deflect against future payrolls to fit in an extra guy down the road
-Keep Urena and Conley in arbitration
-Resign Walker 1/$2
-Resign Romo 1/$3
-Sign another veteran backup IF type with some pop. I think this is someone like Ryon Healy/Brad Miller who doesn't have assured playing time and Miami could give them an easier path to PA - $2+ million
-I am undecided here if they should get an innings eater option and move Urena to the pen, or get another veteran reliever (likely a lefty). Either is fine. Spend around $4 million here (or trade Urena, and spend around $9+ on two pitchers)

That sets up around a $75 million dollar team of this in 2020:

Alfaro, Wallach
Cooper, N. Walker
Isan
Rojas, Berti
Anderson, Healey/Miller type
Ramirez (With Anderson/Cooper chipping in)
Brinson, Sierra (with Berti chipping in)
Castellanos

Sandy, Caleb, Pablo, Urena/Veteran, Yamamoto/Elisier
Romo, Stanek, Steckenrider, Brice, Brigham, Urena/Veteran
Garcia, Conley

Midseason - Lewin, Monte, Sanchez, Sixto, Neidert, Guzman, and more and shed the obvious veterans

And this in 2021 - for also around $75-80 million.

Alfaro, Wallach
L. Diaz, Cooper
Isan
Rojas, Berti
Anderson
Castellanos, Ramirez/Brinson/Other IF CC replacement
Monte, Sierra/Brinson
J. Sanchez

Sandy, Caleb, Pablo, Sixto, Neidert/Cabrera
Guzman, Neidert/Cabrera, Brigham, E. Hernandez, pick one Stanek/Steckenrider/Brice
Garcia, pick 2 Castano/Vesia/Quijada/Stewart/D. Lee

2021 is all internal, but ideally, trading Urena, Conley, Romo again, two of Stanek/Steckenrider/Brice, and whoever else produces upgrades for Wallach and that Ramirez/Brinson/Other spot which should be another IF considering Cooper/Berti/Anderson can pop out there.

2022 payroll will be low $50s with Castellanos and Anderson secured for cheap for awhile and time to then REALLY spend to have luxury upgrades
No jazz in 2020 or 2021? Or you forget him? And Bleday is possible in 2021 as well.

Castellanos/Ozuna, Bleday, Sanchez

Anderson, Jazz, Diaz, Lewin/Coop, Alfaro

Sandy, Caleb, Sixto, Cabrera, Pablo, Garret, Rogers, Niedert, Guzman

So much potential

Last edited:

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
No jazz in 2020 or 2021? Or you forget him? And Bleday is possible in 2021 as well.

Castellanos/Ozuna, Bleday, Sanchez

Anderson, Jazz, Diaz, Lewin/Coop, Alfaro

Sandy, Caleb, Sixto, Cabrera, Pablo, Garret, Rogers, Niedert, Guzman

So much potential
I think Jazz (and Rogers, Garrett) are mid-season 2021 players and Bleday (and Devers, VVM) mid-season 2022 players.

Latest posts

Top Bottom