What's new

Marlins Rookie of the Year

catchoftheday

Muckdog
Reaction score
Forget the writters and the numbers. Who has been the most valuable and most impressive rookie for the marlins this year?

Notable mentions: Ricky Nolasco, Taylor Tankersly and Cody Ross

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
I can't decide. It's between Uggla, Hanley and Anibal.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
In this order as far as "impressive" goes:

Hanley, Sanchez, Uggla, Johnson, Olsen.

What Hanley's doing as a rookie is just flat out insane. For all the publicity that Reyes is getting as "the best short-stop in baseball" Hanley's fungibly worse.

Reyes .354/.489/.844 122 R's
Hanley .353/.481/..834 118 R's

Seriously, they're like the exact same player, but Hanley's behind Jose by 3 years of professional service time.

It's going to be fun as hell to see where these two are in 2008.

Sanchez has just been unbelievable. He just has that ability to put the ball exactly where he wants it at all times, and as a 22 year old to be able to do that, and throw anything in a 2-2 or 3-2 count and usually get the out, well, that's special.

Uggla's just the victim of slumping at the wrong time, for most of the year, he had to be rookie of the year, it's just he went cold, Hanley got hot and Sancez exploded.

catchoftheday

Muckdog
Reaction score
Im torn between Johnson & Uggla. I know that Hanley has the numbers and has been tearing the ball a new seam recently but you can't deny what Uggla has been doing all year long ... plus there's that All-Star thingie to his name

Johnson was steady all year until going down with the injury, he was also leading the league in ERA for a while. I also think that if Olsen would have gotten 2 or 3 more victories he would be top 3 in voting

Big_Rob

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hanley. Premium defensive position, better average, slugging % and OPS than Uggla right now.

I love Uggla, and he was my pick three weeks ago, but I think Hanley is on the cusp of taking it away.

Strike 3

Muckdog
Reaction score
I love Uggla, and he was my pick three weeks ago, but I think Hanley is on the cusp of taking it away.

Yep, I feel the same way.

Fallen Apple

Muckdog
Reaction score
Manley. Premium defensive position, better average, slugging % and OPS than Uggla right now.

I love Uggla, and he was my pick three weeks ago, but I think Manley is on the cusp of taking it away.

I fixed it for you :thumbup

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
hanley since he's the leadoff man and shortstop..

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
On numbers, Hanley runs away with this. I know people gravitate towards Uggla because he was such a surprise. But Hanley's been straight up ridiculous, especially since the All-Star Break.

I just don't really see an arguement for Uggla here. I mean, Hanley even has a better slugging percentage.

Edit: I suppose the arguement for Uggla would be defense. That would be a reasonable arguement.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
JJ btw Cody isn't a rookie

yes he is

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hanley probably deserves to be NL ROTY at this point, but my vote goes to Josh Johnson. From day one, once he got a chance to start, you could pretty much rest assured that he would put the Marlins in a position to win when he took the mound.

Reaction score
depends on how you look at it:

If you look at it through the whole year, it's between JJ and Uggla I think. What JJ did was amazing, basically becoming the ace of the staff. You could count on him to end losing streaks and pitch well just about always, and ultimately leading the NL in ERA most of the time he was eligible. Even in his bad starts he kept the team in games, limiting the damage to 3-4 runs, occasionally 5 at the end.
Uggla's the best story as the rule 5 guy, who is setting rookie records for offensive production, setting the club rookie RBI record, the MLB rookie 2B HR record. All the while probably also being the most defensively dependable of the Marlins rookies (not counting pitchers). slump at the end hurt though.

If you look at just the numbers, especially offensively, it's Hanley. over 50 SBs, over 45 2Bs, etc, etc. The numbers he has put up would be a big deal even for veteran player in their 6th season. For a rookie it's amazing. And if you consider how bad he was slumping during June & into July, and imagine if he hadn't then it's just downright scary. 50 2Bs, 20 HRs, 55-60 SBs wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility without that slump.

Psycho Sid

Muckdog
Reaction score
I thought Uggla for a long while, but Ramirez has clearly surpassed him at this point.

Top Bottom