What's new

Marlins Rumblings and Grumblings

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Keep in mind, he says there was a rumor about us trying to sign Lowell long Term. He ADLIBS, this is not from the Marlins, that we won't. But if there is a rumor going around ESPN and such about it, there's gotta be some truth to it...

One rumor making the rounds last week had the Marlins making a renewed push to get Mike Lowell signed to a long-term contract. Sorry. Not happening. But the Marlins still find themselves in a more uncomfortable position, as they head toward the trading deadline, than any team currently trying to figure out whether it's in contention or not.

The Marlins plan to wait until late July before they make that critical in-it-or-not decision, anyway. But if they drop too far back in the wild-card race, they have to consider all the scars in South Florida of the post-World Series fire sale in 1997 before they decide which players, or how many, to trade away.

"If this were strictly a baseball decision," says one Marlins executive, "it would be easy. But we've got other things to factor in."

Jeffrey Loria wasn't around when Wayne Huizenga ordered that fire sale. But his team continues to pay for it. So even if the Marlins decide to trade Lowell because Miguel Cabrera has arrived, or they deal Derrek Lee because Jason Stokes and Adrian Gonzalez are coming, they had better consider how those deals would be perceived by their already-skeptical public.

It's interesting to note, by the way, that while the Marlins continue to insist they're not planning any big July selloffs and that their goal is to contend, they've been scouting a number of teams that have expressed interest in Lowell, Luis Castillo, Lee and Brad Penny.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
The entire press is making this look like a very bad situation. They keep spreading this annoying rumors.

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
The entire press is making this look like a very bad situation. They keep spreading this annoying rumors.
Yeah, but aside from the annoying rumors, it is a very bad situation. I hope that after this year Beinfest and Loria say to each other "what a nightmare, we are never going to try this one-year deal thing again."

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope that after this year Beinfest and Loria say to each other "what a nightmare, we are never going to try this one-year deal thing again."
At least with Dontrelle...

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope that after this year Beinfest and Loria say to each other "what a nightmare, we are never going to try this one-year deal thing again."
At least with Dontrelle... and Cabs

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
and Cabs
The only way I see them signing Cabs to a long-term deal after this year is if he hits .300+ with 10 HR's, 20 doubles and 50 RBI and finishes second in the NL ROY to Dontrelle

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why would you want to "sign these guys to long term deals" in their rookie seasons when they BELONG to us for the next six years? It isn't like Dontrelle or Cabs has voice in the matter. They are here, will be here and will be paid what the Marlins want to pay them for the next three years and then arbitration kicks in. Even then they can't leave, they are bound to the club.

For that matter, Lowell has to be here for another year and a half (this season and next), he makes roughly $3.5 million this year, will double that next year. All this talk that we HAVE TO trade him is all BS. We may CHOOSE TO, but we don't have to.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Why would you want to "sign these guys to long term deals" in their rookie seasons when they BELONG to us for the next six years?
Because if you can sign him to a six-year deal that averages out to $2 Mill a year, you could end up saving a good $15-20 Million on him. Instead of going year to year with his salary raising significantly every time, because he keeps performing. Might as well save a lot of money up fron, than have to dish a hell of a lot more out through arbitration later on...

Larry Beinfest

Muckdog
Reaction score
Keep in mind, he says there was a rumor about us trying to sign Lowell long Term.
I can confirm that we are at the moment attempting to keep Mike a member of the Florida Marlins. He has played his entire career here, is the centerpiece of our line-up, and the cornerstone to our future.

markotsay7

Isn't there a law against internet identification fraud...?

:-D

Larry Beinfest

Muckdog
Reaction score

If you are implying that I am not who I claim to be, you are most certainly off base. This is in fact Admin Beinfest.

Expos Ranchod

Muckdog
Reaction score

If you are implying that I am not who I claim to be, you are most certainly off base. This is in fact Admin Beinfest. Shouldn't you be working the phones and trying to improve your team instead of talking to low lifes such as us fans on the web :mischief :whistle

Larry Beinfest

Muckdog
Reaction score
Shouldn't you be working the phones and trying to improve your team instead of talking to low lifes such as us fans on the web :mischief :whistle
We feel that we have become out of touch with our fans, and would like to grasp their perspective on situations involving the franchise.

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Shouldn't you be working the phones and trying to improve your team instead of talking to low lifes such as us fans on the web :mischief :whistle
We feel that we have become out of touch with our fans, and would like to grasp their perspective on situations involving the franchise. Than you should get Samson and Loria on here.

Larry Beinfest

Muckdog
Reaction score
Than you should get Samson and Loria on here.
I can assure you, Jeffrey and David are both extreamely concerned about the fans take, but have many things on their adgenda for the day. Sorry that it is only me, but i am glad to give you information and views.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
:lol Admin could you check out our campaign by clicking the link in my signature and pass it on to the appropriate people in the organization. :lol

Larry Beinfest

Muckdog
Reaction score
:lol Admin could you check out our campaign by clicking the link in my signature and pass it on to the appropriate people in the organization. :lol
I already have, and sent an E-Mail to them. I am glad to do anything for a fan who wants to watch the team. One question, though. Why not go to the game?

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I already have, and sent an E-Mail to them. I am glad to do anything for a fan who wants to watch the team. One question, though. Why not go to the game? I live in Fort Myers. It is way too far for normal visits to games. Well over 3 hours to PPS. IT is a lot to drive and I cannot do it for every game.

Top Bottom